Windows 10: 1-3 BSODs per Day Relating to Kernal Driver - How to narrow my search?

Discus and support 1-3 BSODs per Day Relating to Kernal Driver - How to narrow my search? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; This is what I have done so far: Installed all latest Win 10 updates. Updated all the drivers as far as I can tell. What is the best (efficient) way... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by the5krunner, Oct 16, 2016.

1. 1-3 BSODs per Day Relating to Kernal Driver - How to narrow my search?

This is what I have done so far:
    • Installed all latest Win 10 updates.
    • Updated all the drivers as far as I can tell. What is the best (efficient) way to find out if everything is up to date? It took me ages to manually check them all.
    • Ran memtest+ for 12 hours with no errors reported.
    • Ran sfc, chkdsk, DISM, etc. and no issues reported.
    • I tried to understand and use windfg to analyse the memory dump file.
    • Obviously used internet/forum search function and understand/apply to my case but every case/spec is different.
    I have narrowed this down to either CPU or M/B issue (I hope not as this is a new laptop) OR some corrupt/dodgy driver somewhere which I can't locate.

I have spent many many hours trying to do this but I am novice and struggling. Please can you take a look at my attached/uploaded files and make a recommendation?

I am trying to avoid having to re-install Win 10 if possible but it seems to be my only last step.

I have:
    • Attached my bluescreenview image:Attachment 106348
    • Uploaded my msinfo32, speccy xml snapshot and memory dump files here.
    • Attached dm log zip file at end of post.

Any ideas please? But I also want to learn/understand so please can you explain what led you to your conclusion?

Regards,

:)

the5krunner, Oct 16, 2016
  2. amacati Win User

BSOD and repeatedly deadlocks on Windows 10 - ntoskrnl.exe

I did a complete clean install of Windows 10 and got a BSOD 1 day after. Does this narrow down the problem to a hardware related one?

amacati, Oct 16, 2016
  3. Windows 10: BSOD with IRQL_GT_ZERO_AT_SYSTEM_SERVICE

It turns out the correct solution is:

• Run Windbg on the memory dump file
    • Identify the process "audiodg.exe" as the exit point
    • Google audiodg.exe and BSOD to expose the driver "stdriver.sys" as a suspect
    • Google stdriver.sys and BSOD to expose the "SoundTap" application fron NCH Software as a suspect
    • Remove SoundTap from the system, reboot and re-install
    No BSODs in 3 days, was 1 - 5 per day. Total Time to research and fix: 3 hrs

SMEddy2015, Oct 16, 2016
  4. axe0 New Member

1-3 BSODs per Day Relating to Kernal Driver - How to narrow my search?

Hi @the5krunner,

Apologies for the huge delay. I'm incredibly busy with studies and family issues.

I've taken a quick look at your logs, it'll take me some time to properly get through it, but I won't have the required time until this weekend (starting at 5PM or 5:30PM tomorrow).

5. Thank you @axe0. I really appreciate your help.

the5krunner, Oct 19, 2016
  6. I have got fed up of even more daily BSODs so I have done a fresh install of Windows 10 via (Reset Windows). Win 10 also auto updated to the Anniversary edition. Within a couple of hours I still get a BSOD! I have attached my latest logs.
    Attachment 106975

I can upload the related MEMORY.DMP if required as well.

Any ideas?

In the meantime I have uninstalled windows 10 anniversary update (hopefully I think).

the5krunner, Oct 20, 2016
  7. axe0 New Member
    Where did you get your BIOS version from?

8. 1-3 BSODs per Day Relating to Kernal Driver - How to narrow my search?

I still have the same BIOS that came installed with the laptop when I purchased it last month.

I wanted to upgrade it but had no idea how or where to get a new version from. It seems that the Gigabyte M/B BIOS is supplied by "American Trends Inc". But it was not clear what download was relevant to my hardware.

I had another BSOD this morning when the laptop was in either sleep/hibernate mode. I cannot be sure because I was away form the laptop for an hour or so.

the5krunner, Oct 21, 2016
  9. axe0 New Member
    BIOS updates should be downloaded from the laptop/motherboard manufacturer

10. I know but it is not clear on their website. I will contact them directly. Do you think that this is causing the issue?

Thank you for your help.

the5krunner, Oct 21, 2016
  11. OK. I have spent the whole evening trying to install the latest BIOS which I think is actually the same as my current version (it is not all clear in the documentation). In fact the documentation is completely wrong and the process does not work :-(. I will send an email to support but I don't expect a quick reply.

@axe0, when looking at my logs, did the errors point to my BIOS issues?

the5krunner, Oct 22, 2016
  12. axe0 New Member
    The thing I've noticed, your BIOS version is newer than what Gigabyte provides for your motherboard.

13. 1-3 BSODs per Day Relating to Kernal Driver - How to narrow my search?

Thank you. I am a little confused (forgive me as I am still new to this). Here are some interesting observations.

• Via CPU-Z it says my BIOS is American Megatrends Inc - Version 1.05.11RG13 - Date 03/16/2016.
    • Via F2 at boot time it says at the top of the screen Aptio - American Megatrends - Version 2.17.1254. My newbie guess is that this is some other software/firmware on top of Bios. Am I right?
    • Via the download link from Gigabyte there is only one BIOS version and the file name is: nb-bios-win10-1.05.14rgi1-ec-1.05.03-dosflasher.zip. Guessing by the file name the version looks like 1.05.15 which is higher than point 1. I have unpacked the zip file and it is not clear what version it really is. There is a pdf file which incorrectly says how to load the file.

Here is a direct link to the site link: http://uk.gigabyte.com/products/prod...l=1&RWD=0#bios (you have to click show me all to see it).

Thanks again for your response @axe0. What made you say my Bios was newer version?

the5krunner, Oct 22, 2016
  14. axe0 New Member
    This makes me say that the installed BIOS version is newer
    - From the systeminfo.txt:
    Code: System Manufacturer: GIGABYTE System Model: P16G System Type: x64-based PC Processor(s): 1 Processor(s) Installed. [01]: Intel64 Family 6 Model 94 Stepping 3 GenuineIntel ~2601 Mhz BIOS Version: American Megatrends Inc. 1.05.11RGI3, 16/03/2016 Windows Directory: C:\WINDOWS System Directory: C:\WINDOWS\system32[/quote] - From Gigabyte support page:
    Code: Version Size Date Download Here Description 1.05.14RGI1 17.67 MB 2016/06/29 Asia China America Europe BIOS 1.05.14RGI1 & EC 1.05.03 (Please read PDF file before flashing BIOS)[/quote] The download link shows:
    Code: ga('send','event','Download_BIOS/nb-bios-win10-1.05.14rgi1-ec-1.05.03-dosflasher.zip','europe',location.pathname + location.search);[/quote]
    Incorrect, it is 1.05.14 *Wink

15. @axe0, thank you for correcting me and your patience and support. I am still learning.

The download link is indeed 1.05.14 which I thought was 3 points higher than 1.05.11 shown in systeminfo.txt.
    Looking at the Bios date you can also see that the Gigabyte support page dates the Bios more recent than my current bios. 2016/06/29 v 16/03/2016
    Is it fair to conclude that the download link actually shows a newer version?

I do notice your version highlighting (red+underline) implying you are judging the version by the last char RGI3 v RGI1. I usually judge versions by using the more major/leftmost numbers e.g. 1.2.0.1 is newer than 1.1.2.5. Am I missing something?

Anyway, I cannot even install the latest Bios mainly due to the documentation/process not working (another support thread with Gigabyte). Do you think that this is causing my BSODs? I have not had as many BSODs since uninstalling the Win 10 Anniversary Update (and stopping it auto re-installing by setting my internet connection to metered). Do my logs and your analysis point to anything else other than the Bios version?

Thanks again.

the5krunner, Oct 23, 2016
Thema:

1-3 BSODs per Day Relating to Kernal Driver - How to narrow my search?

1. 1-3 BSODs per Day Relating to Kernal Driver - How to narrow my search? - Similar Threads - BSODs per Relating

2. BSOD several times per day

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD several times per day: I was a happy owner of Surface Laptop 4, and it started over a year ago with random BSOD once a month. Now it comes to several BSODs per day :-I think it started progressing after upgrading to Windows 11, but I'm unsure.I'm not doing anything special on this laptop, mostly...
  3. BSOD several times per day

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD several times per day: I was a happy owner of Surface Laptop 4, and it started over a year ago with random BSOD once a month. Now it comes to several BSODs per day :-I think it started progressing after upgrading to Windows 11, but I'm unsure.I'm not doing anything special on this laptop, mostly...
  4. My computer dies completely 2-3 per day

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My computer dies completely 2-3 per day: Hi I noticed my computer dies unexpectedly server times per day, in event log I can see this:The previous system shutdown at 1:48:33 AM on ‎8/‎31/‎2023 was unexpected.Critical error The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the...
  5. My computer dies completely 2-3 per day

My computer dies completely 2-3 per day: Hi I noticed my computer dies unexpectedly server times per day, in event log I can see this:The previous system shutdown at 1:48:33 AM on ‎8/‎31/‎2023 was unexpected.Critical error The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the...
  6. Random BSOD, 1-3 a day under and not under stress

Random BSOD, 1-3 a day under and not under stress: I have an old post that may need to be bumped so I am posting again with more information this time;I have tried many things already, including pc health restore, windows memory test and all the other common fixes. This problem appears randomly and I can go hours of gaming...
  7. BSoD Multiple Times Per Day

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSoD Multiple Times Per Day: My computer has crashed 10 times since the morning of the 18th. I believe them to have begun around the time I installed the game Battlefront 2 2017. Three of the crashed occurred while I was playing the game all three at the exact same point; while searching for a match. Two...
  8. BSOD per day

BSOD per day: 070321-8953-01.dmp - Google Drive i try to use v2 log collector,however,there is a error message in cmd : Get-MpPreference : The term 'Get-MpPreference' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or...
  9. Random BSOD, seems to be related to the Kernal of my laptop?

Random BSOD, seems to be related to the Kernal of my laptop?: Hello! So I had this Laptop for at least 3-4 years, and it has crashed in the past, but this was the first true BSOD I've had on it/encountered on it. I panicked a bit, and went onto google, to look for answers. I updated some drivers recently as well. After the BSOD, not...
  10. Blue Screen 1 to 3x per day

Blue Screen 1 to 3x per day: I have a HP Zbook 15 G3 with a 1 TB Samsung SSD 960 EVO. It bluescreens 1 to 3 x per day. Automatic restart each time. The bluescreen error is "System_Thread_exception_not_handled" as displayed on the bluescreen. I disabled the accelerometer related services...