Windows 10: 1 USB drive recovery & back up image solution wanted.

Discus and support 1 USB drive recovery & back up image solution wanted. in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I am not sure what would be best. This is for a friends new HP laptop. I think I would like the HP to be able to boot from the USB drive. Then use... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by KLund1, Mar 23, 2017.

1. f14tomcat Win User

1 USB drive recovery & back up image solution wanted.

@KLund1, good evening. Can you post some info about the friend's HP laptop? Maybe a link to the manufacturers site for the exact model number? Some info would be helpful.. Thanks, TC.....

f14tomcat, Mar 24, 2017
  2. KLund1 Win User

Thanks is a HP 15-au123cl.
    I pulled the slow HD out, and migrated the OS to a SSD, including the 3 hidden partitions that go with the OS. There seems to be no way to migrate the OS and the HP recovery partition. The HP drive is in GPT, so there is little compatible software out there. But that is not important now.
    The system is in the condition I want to be able to go back too if some thing goes bad in the future. My friend is not know too much about computers. I want to provide an easy method of recovery, if the laptop can't boot, or win10 becomes corrupted. So I would like one USB stick what will boot to win10 recovery mode, and also have the drive image available.

KLund1, Mar 24, 2017
  3. f14tomcat Win User
    NavyLCDR's solution would work fine, but may be too complex for your friend. You would need to discuss that with him, the pros and cons. I suggest you get more info from Navy as I'm not that familiar with his setup.

If you're looking for a simplified, more or less plug-n-play approach, consider the following.

1 8-16GB USB flash for a Windows Recovery bootable. Could also be used instead to contain a bootable Recovery Environment with many common programs using a tool developed by one of our members. Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk This ISO from Kyhi would be put on the thumb drive using a utility called Rufus Rufus - Create bootable USB drives the easy way or copied manually after formatting the thumb.

Macrium Reflect (free) for image backup to an external USB HDD of 1TB.

Macrium Reflect Free | Macrium Software

1 2-4GB USB flash for a bootable Macrium Rescue to be used to restore images from the external, along with built-in tools for fixing boot problems.

You should read the info in the links for more insight. Very similar setups are used by many on Tenforums, but the choice is yours, and your friend's.

TC

f14tomcat, Mar 24, 2017
  4. KLund1 Win User

Very good info.
    But I keep seeing that I have to use the whole USB drive for one thing or another.
    Is it possible to treat it as a HD. Make 2 partitions. One bootable partition that will have your PEtools, or Win10 recovery tools, and a second data partition that I could store a disk image.

KLund1, Mar 24, 2017
  5. f14tomcat Win User
    If it's GPT, you can have as many as you want. Within common sense reason! *Smile Keep in mind.....if all the eggs are in one basket, and the basket breaks........

f14tomcat, Mar 24, 2017
  6. KLund1 Win User
    I did a bit of research on USB drives. You can have many partitions on them as you want. But Win will only see the first one. There is a bit somewhere in the first sector that defines a USB drive as 'removable'. So Win will only see partition 1. It can be changed but with a lot of work, that I am not in the mood for now. I will have to go with a 2 USB stick solution for my friend.
    But I am going to use the PE tools mentioned above for my own personal use. It has come a long way since I lasted used it about 10+ years ago.
    Thanks everyone, a very educational thread.

KLund1, Mar 24, 2017
  7. f14tomcat Win User
    Your welcome. What you posted about seeing only the first partition pertains to flash drives, thumbs. That does not hold true for USB external hard drives.

Wish you all good luck with your project.

TC

f14tomcat, Mar 24, 2017
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Give me a little bit of time, I'm going to work on an idea I have when I get home from dinner with the family. I think I have a 64GB flash drive to experiment with.

NavyLCDR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. 1 USB drive recovery & back up image solution wanted. - Similar Threads - USB drive recovery

2. Windows 10 recovery, no system back up image or usb install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 recovery, no system back up image or usb install: I installed a new SSD to my PC but didn’t create a system image back up because I read that a fresh windows 10 install would be possible without it. It seems like that was a mistake. I put my old m2 ssd in an external enclosure, I have tried to remove my old drive to create a...
  3. Windows 10 recovery, no system back up image or usb install

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 recovery, no system back up image or usb install: I installed a new SSD to my PC but didn’t create a system image back up because I read that a fresh windows 10 install would be possible without it. It seems like that was a mistake. I put my old m2 ssd in an external enclosure, I have tried to remove my old drive to create a...
  4. Windows 10 recovery, no system back up image or usb install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. MSI recovery back up versus Microsoft recovery drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MSI recovery back up versus Microsoft recovery drive: Hello,Please could someone explain the difference between these two tools? I normally create a Microsoft Recovery Drive when I set up a new laptop but I have set up a recovery back up with MSI Center because it recommended to do this before upgrading to Windows 11.If MSI...
  6. MSI recovery back up versus Microsoft recovery drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MSI recovery back up versus Microsoft recovery drive: Hello,Please could someone explain the difference between these two tools? I normally create a Microsoft Recovery Drive when I set up a new laptop but I have set up a recovery back up with MSI Center because it recommended to do this before upgrading to Windows 11.If MSI...
  7. Back up to USB Flash drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Back up to USB Flash drive: When backing up my laptop I use the Windows 7 back up procedure in control panel to create a system image to a usb hard drive. I recently advised my mate that he should do the same with his laptop so he purchased a 256gb USB flash drive. When we attempt to do the back up of...
  8. Want to back-up to external hard drive

Want to back-up to external hard drive: This is more of a hardware-related question, so I hope it's ok to post it here. I have a hard drive that was the internal hard drive for my previous computer. I saved it since there was nothing wrong with it when my old computer died. Since it was a newer replacement for an...
  9. Creating a system back up ISO image to USB

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Creating a system back up ISO image to USB: I've just done a fresh W10 install. I'd like to create an ISO that I can use rufus (or similar/better?) to create a bootable image from USB that I can install Windows that includes all of my essential drivers and programs already installed. Is this possible? What's the best...
  10. USB Recovery Drives/Images?

USB Recovery Drives/Images?: Would like to create bootable USB drives with "Recovery Images" for multiple machines with varied history - Last supported Windows XP Pro. Original Windows 8.x upgraded to current Windows 10 Home. Original and current Windows 10 Home. Surface with Original and current 10...