Windows 10: 10 Home Wi-Fi issue on older desktop

Discus and support 10 Home Wi-Fi issue on older desktop in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi guys, Just registered, been on the 7 forums for a while. I've just installed 10 Home on a desktop I built ages ago and gave to my mother (it was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by SD60659, May 20, 2018.

1. SD60659 Win User

10 Home Wi-Fi issue on older desktop

Hi guys,

Just registered, been on the 7 forums for a while. I've just installed 10 Home on a desktop I built ages ago and gave to my mother (it was running XP and the time has come etc) and I can't for the life of me get the Wi-Fi working. The mobo does not have built in Wi-Fi so I am using a Belkin dongle. I have the proper disk for this.

The driver installs correctly, the dongle is detected, present in device manager and in network adapters. In network adapters it has a red cross next to it, but is enabled. In device manager it says this device is working properly. There is no wifi icon on the taskbar. I ran services.msc to see if anything relevant was stopped, WLAN auto-config was stopped and set to manual so I started the service (successfully) and set it to automatic. The service is now running but no change even after a reboot. I find this weird as the adapter is being detected but it's as if it won't let me use it. Anyone have any ideas?

:)

SD60659, May 20, 2018

2. Wi-fi issue

Hi Galin,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

We are will surely help you with the issue.

I suggest you to run the below troubleshooter and check.

Run the build-in network troubleshooter

Follow the steps:

• Type Troubleshooting in the Search box from the desktop.

• Select the Troubleshooting option.

• Select View All option and select the Network Adapter.

• Click on Next to perform the Network Adapter troubleshooter and follow the steps.
    Note: Refer the below link.

Windows 10 open Wi-Fi hotspots – Microsoft privacy

Let us know if this helps or post back if you need further assistance, we will be glad to help.

Akheel Ahmed, May 20, 2018
  3. Geethu B Win User
    Issue with connecting to Wi-Fi

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community. I understand that you have an issue with connecting to Wi-Fi.
    I can imagine the inconvenience you have experienced. We are here to help and guide you in the right direction.

This issue could have occurred due to these reasons:

1. Incorrect Wi-Fi settings.

2. Corrupt or outdated Wireless network driver.

Try the steps listed here:

Method 1:

I suggest you to refer the article which will help to fix common issue with Wi-Fi in Windows 10.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/getstarted-why-cant-i-get-connected

Method 2:

If the issue persists, I suggest you to install latest Wi-Fi driver from the computer manufacturer website and check if it helps. mode.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/xps-8700/drivers/advanced?os=wt64a

Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of the issue so that we can assist you further.

Geethu B, May 20, 2018
Thema:

10 Home Wi-Fi issue on older desktop

1. 10 Home Wi-Fi issue on older desktop - Similar Threads - Home issue older

2. Wi-Fi issues

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wi-Fi issues: I have a Dell laptop with Windows 10 on it that will not connect to the wifi no matter what I do. I have tried uninstalling and upgrading drivers and disabling Windows firewall, and it keeps saying “Can’t connect to this network”. Please help....
  3. Wi-Fi Issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wi-Fi Issues: Hello I just purchased a laptop with windows 11And after installing it I went to schoolI started having a problem with trying to connect to their Wi-FiIt tells me “action needed” but no website pops upSo i can’t sign into my computer because I need Wi-Fi to do that, and I...
  4. Issues with Wi-Fi

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Issues with Wi-Fi: Hi, sometimes when I play any game on my laptop, the Wi-Fi adapter turns off. This seems to be random and sometimes the games will run just fine without causing any issues. When this first started happening, I reset my laptop and after updating all of the drivers it still...
  5. Wi-Fi Issue?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wi-Fi Issue?: Hello,For about the last 3 months or so, from time to time, I get this message on the screen of my laptop:Your connection was InterruptedA Network Change was Detected It happens almost every time I change from one page to another: such as from email to web browsing to search...
  6. Wi-Fi issue

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wi-Fi issue: Hi, My Wi-Fi adapter stops working unexpectedly and it does not get fixed until I shutdown then start the PC doing a "restart" does not work, and sometimes even shutdown/start does not help. I installed the latest intel drivers 21.90.3.2 but I'm still having the same issue....
  7. Wi-Fi issues

Wi-Fi issues: My Wi-Fi disconnects frequently, but when I troubleshoot the issue is fixed, I’m reconnected, and after 10 or so seconds my internet disconnects again. This has been happening for most of the day, even though I “fixed” the same issue a few days ago. I’ve done everything....
  8. Wi-Fi issue

Wi-Fi issue: I recently upgraded my PC from Win 7 to Win 10 Pro. I've been using ethernet cable to connect to the Internet for 2 months, and all was well. Two days ago I switched to Wi-Fi using a USB Realtek dongle, which I've used for years with Win 7 and with Linux without a problem....
  9. Wi-Fi issues

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Wi-Fi issues: Why do I have problems connecting to the internet via WiFi from my PC with windows 10? Whenever I try to connect with wifi, a red X appears on the network icon on the Wi-Fi signal strength bars, but when I connect to the Internet means of wiring I can connect normally as well...
  10. Wi Fi Issues

Wi Fi Issues: Hi, I have just installed a new Lap Top It works just fine along with my I pad and I phone on the wif fi system just as my old lap top did . But .......when I connect the lap top to the internet through the wi fi I lose the wi fi connection to the I pad . and when I...