Windows 10: 10 on an oldies laptop. Good idea?

Discus and support 10 on an oldies laptop. Good idea? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've had to fix the mother in laws windows 7 laptop which was in a right state. I've installed the 10 technical preview and it runs sweet, found all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by beastman, Mar 13, 2015.

1. beastman Win User

10 on an oldies laptop. Good idea?

I've had to fix the mother in laws windows 7 laptop which was in a right state. I've installed the 10 technical preview and it runs sweet, found all drivers, easy peasy. No waiting forever to download updates.......boots faster etc.

When it comes to windows 10 RTM/release for free upgraders does anyone know if the official new version will allow an over install onto the existing Technical Preview setup, keeping existing installed programs and settings?

Its set to the slow ring for updated builds - I presume when the updated builds come out they are optional? Wouldn't be good if they auto install as she wont know whats happening. I'm assuming what is essentially a test OS is still a viable replacement OS even though is not obviously designed for 65 year computerphobes like her. Any comments appreciated.

:)

beastman, Mar 13, 2015

2. Rally 3D Nokia 5220 XpressMusic

I've been racing again and again with Good Oldie in Grassy Plains and I've finished it in just 49.9 s I'm pretty proud of that 10 on an oldies laptop. Good idea? ;)

kaninchen---01, Mar 13, 2015
  3. daveedoe Win User
    Transfer Files from PC running 10 to PC running 7

I recently upgraded my PC from 7 to 10. We'll call that computer "Oldie Lox." Oldie Lox started having some hard-drive issues, so I decided to be proactive and just replace the Oldie Lox before things went south. My new PC just arrive... we'll call this
    one "Newb." Newb is running Windows 7, which I'm fine with. The problem I'm running into is that Easy Transfer isn't an option on 10. Windows' solution to Easy Transfer is to use Laplink. However, Laplink won't go from 10 to 7, it will only go 7 to 10.
    How do I get all of my files, programs, settings and preferences from Oldie Lox to Newb?

A couple things to note:

• I was unable to downgrade from 10 to 7 on Oldie Lox, as 7 was removed from my computer after the upgrade... I thought it wasn't supposed to do that so quickly.

Huge thanks for any/all suggestions!

David

daveedoe, Mar 13, 2015
  4. Ztruker Win User

W10 TP is a beta/test OS. It is not meant to be a production system for normal use. Many people use it this way and mostly have been 0kay but the next build release could break something significant, you never know.

I do remember reading somewhere that RTM will install over TP but I'm not sure of that.

I think you would have been better to do a recovery to factory state of Win 7 on that laptop and wait for the free RTM upgrade when it's available.

Just my $.02 worth *Smile

Ztruker, Mar 13, 2015
  5. beastman Win User
    Thanks.
    Does anyone know for sure that RTM will install over TP?
    I was planning on sorting out the RTM, even if it means a format & fresh install.
    I guess the main thing was I wondered if there were any clear drawbacks for a novice generally running this OS as she only uses it for web browsing.

beastman, Mar 14, 2015
  6. BunnyJ New Member
    I don't see any advantages of having her run Win10 right now. If it were me I would put Win7 back on and wait for the RTM upgrade to come out. It's good to know that her PC will work with Win10 at least.. so the test was successful. *Smile

BunnyJ, Mar 14, 2015
  7. LMiller7 Win User
    Microsoft has emphasized that the Windows 10 Technical Preview is for advanced users only, not for novices. Unfortunately the message doesn't always get through. It is intended for testing purposes and to provide feedback to Microsoft. A new update may seriously break functionality at any time. Many people are using it as their primary OS and this is fine, provided they are aware of and prepared to deal with the implications.

Microsoft has always recommended against an RTM upgrade over a pre release version. This may or may not be supported. I don't think anybody can be certain until Microsoft makes an official announcement when the RTM version is released.

LMiller7, Mar 14, 2015
  8. beastman Win User

Thanks. Do we know if updates (full OS upgrades, not windows updates) are auto installed?

beastman, Mar 14, 2015
  9. usasma Win User
    Again, this is part of the problem with using Win10 TP - The system defaults to certain update behaviors, but you can change them in the UI to suit your needs. If you're not into the beta testing and just want it to work, use the standard settings (default is the Slow Track - which is best for stability).

You can verify that updates are set to install automatically by going to:
    PC Settings...Update & Recovery...Advanced options

usasma, Mar 15, 2015
  10. The one clear drawback is that, since this is a "test" version, anything can change from one build to the next. The apps, the UIs, even functionality, can come and go as MS sees fit. Functions can be added in one build and removed in the next.

Personally, I would recommend against any novice using Win10TP at this time for their daily use.

Mark Phelps, Mar 15, 2015
  11. Berton Win User
    I have it on a Dell Inspiron 530S Desktop that came with Vista and a 4+ year old Toshiba Notebook, works good. Only real thing to look for is if drivers are supported as there may not be any yet from the manufacturer. Only thing on my Notebook that gets picked up but not installed is a PCI Simple Communication device which on Desktops is usually a Dial-up Modem. The Notebook has a cut-out that is marked for a phone line but Modem doesn't show in the BIOS, don't know if it actually exists.

Berton, Mar 15, 2015
  12. beastman Win User
    Thanks. As mentioned I have it set to slow - does anyone know that nothing major in terms of auto updates will occur that might freak out the old lady?

beastman, Mar 15, 2015
  13. Tews Win User

I resemble that remark! Please keep in mind that we have many of our members are way over 65 and are some of the most knowlegable users we have!

14. beastman Win User
    Its the end of the road for Bill Gates in only 6 years!*Wink

beastman, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. 10 on an oldies laptop. Good idea? - Similar Threads - oldies laptop idea

2. Why did the devs decide this was a good idea?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why did the devs decide this was a good idea?: When I get notifications, windows alerts me, and dampens my sound, including calls and anything else I'm currently listening to, as if these alerts are literally the most important thing going on at any given time. I mean, the thinking behind this is silly. I understand a...
  3. Encrypting the Windows System Disk - good idea or not?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Encrypting the Windows System Disk - good idea or not?: Hi folks! Simple question really. Currently re-building my desktop PC and aiming for Windows 10 Pro (64-bit) dual-booting with Linux Mint on a 240GB SSD. A separate 5TB hard disk for data storage. Not sure about how to set this up - partitioned as two separate drives one...
  4. External Windows 10 test drive, good idea?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    External Windows 10 test drive, good idea?: As a Mac technician, I found it very useful to boot from an external macOS test volume, best on an SSD. What about trying this for PCs too? I thought I may install Windows 10 on an external SSD on each machine I need to test (since driver incompatibility wouldnt allow a...
  5. Is it a good idea to install the latest update?

Is it a good idea to install the latest update?: I paused my updates a while back and forgot to unpause them. I am still running on the 2/11/2020 update. Should I install the latest cumulative update of just the latest security patches? In case it matters, this is a gaming pc. submitted by /u/Turboyoshi0406 [link]...
  6. Is it a good idea to stay and using unsupported Windows 10? (1803)

Is it a good idea to stay and using unsupported Windows 10? (1803): My laptop is forcing me to update to 1903 since months ago, thing is that update breaks my audio for some reason. Whenever I'm in the new update, Windows 10 keeps forcing to install SST OED over my laptop's Realtek, and any effort to reinstall Realtek and uninstalling SST...
  7. Is Britic's Security TRICK a good idea?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Is Britic's Security TRICK a good idea?: Greetings, I've learned a lot at these forums. Thanks to all you veteran users tolerating a Windows to Mac SWITCHER. I've also learned a lot of British YouTuber Britec. He has a bit of advice here that I find interesting. That you not use your Admin account but instead a...
  8. DarkStarOne - oldie goldie

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DarkStarOne - oldie goldie: DarkstarOne, for space battle enthusiasts, has been around for a long time but many people gave up because modern monitors created resolution problems, myself included, so it went into the Steam library and lay there forgotten. Then I decided to give it another go as its...
  9. resizing a partition -is it a good idea?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    resizing a partition -is it a good idea?: i have come across a program that can resize a new partition when if the primary disk is too full. and wondering how would resizing a partition benefit me in the long run? -not to say iam running low in memory, but "just in case"*Nerd 71887
  10. SSD - Fast Start Up - Is it a good idea?

in Windows 10 Support
    SSD - Fast Start Up - Is it a good idea?: I must admit I don't know much about SSD drives. My current desktop (500 gb Samsung Evo) is the first time I've ever had one. So I worry about how quick they can wear out and of course fast start up is a feature switched on by default by MS. So is it a bad idea to have fast...