Windows 10: 10 upgrade fail - should I reinstall 8 or 10

Discus and support 10 upgrade fail - should I reinstall 8 or 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, just acquired a Asus x205ta laptop because last owner failed in upgrade from 8 to 10. Current state = no boot, but I can access bios and boot from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by caseyjay, Aug 28, 2015.

1. caseyjay Win User

10 upgrade fail - should I reinstall 8 or 10

Hi, just acquired a Asus x205ta laptop because last owner failed in upgrade from 8 to 10. Current state = no boot, but I can access bios and boot from USB. I created a Win 8.1 USB drive and recovery options failed but proposed boot into Win10 which fails. I can access command prompt and see windows.old. Tried fresh 8.1 install but prompts for COA (which is stored in BIOS).

I have no COA on this machine - should I be attempting a Win10 USB media or Win8 (which probably was the original OS pre-loaded).

Any tips appreciated....thx

:)

caseyjay, Aug 28, 2015

2. upgrade to windows 10 home

I have gone through all these articles, but nothing addresses the issue. I repeatedly receive these messages when I "Review Update History"

Name Status Importance Date Installed

Upgrade to Windows 10 Home Failed Important 8/10/2015

Upgrade to Windows 10 Home Failed Important 8/9/2015

Upgrade to Windows 10 Home Failed Important 8/9/2015

Upgrade to Windows 10 Home Failed Important 8/8/2015

Upgrade to Windows 10 Home Failed Important 8/7/2015

Upgrade to Windows 10 Home Failed Important 8/7/2015

Upgrade to Windows 10 Home Failed Important 8/6/2015

Upgrade to Windows 10 Home Failed Important 8/5/2015

Upgrade to Windows 10 Home Failed Important 8/4/2015

Upgrade to Windows 10 Home Failed Important 8/3/2015

Upgrade to Windows 10 Home Failed Important 8/2/2015

Upgrade to Windows 10 Home Failed Important 8/2/2015

It appears that Windows 10 Home has been attempting to install since 8/2/2015, but can not for some reason. I'd like to know what I need to do to correct the problem so the download can complete.

BrendaLuckey, Aug 28, 2015
  3. I had upgraded to Windows 10 pro. My HDD failed, and I tried to reinstall Windows 10 Pro, using the upgrade key from the original installation. Can't reinstall Windows 10. Help?

I had upgraded to Windows 10 pro*, and it was running. My HDD failed, and I tried to reinstall Windows 10 Pro in a new HDD, using the upgrade key from the original installation. . It failed, with the following message: "Windows could not prepare the computer
    to boot into the next phase of installation. To install Windows, restart the installation".
    (Installation was cancelled). I understand that the machine; not the HDD is registered with Microsoft. How can reinstall Windows 10 Pro on the new, blank HDD? (Also, I attempted to reinstall Windows 8, and then 8.1. Same message). Do I need a
    new upgrade product key? What do I have to do to get Windows 10 reinstalled in the new HDD?

*Windows 7, to Windows 8, to Windows 8.1, to Windows 10 Pro.

NormanSussman, Aug 28, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

If there has never been a successful upgrade to Windows 10 with Windows 10 activated, then doing a clean install of Windows 10 won't activate. You are probably attempting to install a retail version of Windows 8 which won't read the OEM Windows 8 key stored in Bios (if there is one).

What I would do is do a clean install of Windows 10 - the version that you think the laptop had of Windows 8 before - probably Home. Use showkey from this forum to see if there are Windows keys stored in Bios. Make sure to download an OEM version of the old windows that matches the key in Bios. Shrink the Windows 10 partition to leave about 75 gb free on the hard drive and then clean install the old Windows version on the free space. Upgrade that windows to Windows 10 and make sure it activates. Then you can just delete that partition and extend the first Windows 10 partition to fill the free space and the first Windows 10 installation should then activate.

NavyLCDR, Aug 28, 2015
  5. bobkn Win User
    There ought to be a COA. Is it hidden in the battery compartment?

You can only activate the free Win 10 upgrade if it is installed once as an upgrade over an activated qualifying OS (7 or 8). After that, you may clean install on the same hardware and activate online.

bobkn, Aug 28, 2015
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    And it probably looks just like this one:

NavyLCDR, Aug 28, 2015
  7. caseyjay Win User
    this is a very lite laptop - 32gb EMMc only, no hard drive, no replacable battery (basically a disposable laptop *Smile) so no COA anywhere visible, except apparently in BIOS.

Currently creating Win10 media and will take NavyLCDR advice to upgrade, retrograde, then activate then upgrade again, failing that, will just install another OS with key....thx

caseyjay, Aug 28, 2015
  8. caseyjay Win User

appears to have worked - Win10 installed and is now showing as activated, previous owner probably got that far but then crashed, lucky me...thanks for your advice...

caseyjay, Aug 29, 2015
  9. Starting with Windows 8, the OEMs stopped providing COAs, ; instead, the product key is embedded in the firmware. When you reinstall the preinstalled OS version, it finds the product key and automatically reactivates.

Mark Phelps, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. 10 upgrade fail - should I reinstall 8 or 10 - Similar Threads - upgrade fail should

2. upgrade 8 to 10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    upgrade 8 to 10?: upgrade 8 to 10 - how? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-8-to-10/3faa6b74-8fec-41cf-a677-b81ebb72a4f2
  3. upgrade 8 to 10?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    upgrade 8 to 10?: upgrade 8 to 10 - how? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-8-to-10/3faa6b74-8fec-41cf-a677-b81ebb72a4f2
  4. Should I reinstall Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Should I reinstall Windows 10: I'm not sure if i'm getting these errors because of the new windows 10 update. I can't turn on my firewall and I can't open any video or music file without getting these errors [ATTACH][ATTACH]...
  5. Windows 8 to Windows 10 upgrade - How to reinstall

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 8 to Windows 10 upgrade - How to reinstall: Hi I had windows 8 preinstalled in my Lenovo laptop. Based on the upgrade recommendation, i upgraded to windows 10. My laptop is very slow (16Gig RAM & i7). I want to format and reinstall fresh windows 10. When i tried to enter the windows 8 Key in the back of my...
  6. Should I upgrade to windows 10?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Should I upgrade to windows 10?: Hi all, I have myself a dell latitude D630 with windows 7 home premium that is genuine. I am thinking about upgrading to windows 10, however, will my laptop slow down a lot from upgrading? If not, will it slow down over time? I heard windows 10 will get more demanding...
  7. Upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 10 fails

Upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 10 fails: Hi! I've successfully updated to Windows 10 on my two Surfaces, but there is some kind of issue on my desktop PC. The upgrade process from Windows 8 fails at about 71% total (Installing features and drivers at 91%), and the error I get is: C1900101-40017 Windows...
  8. Should I upgrade to Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Support
    Should I upgrade to Windows 10?: I currently run Windows 7 and have been thinking about upgrading to Windows 10, however I have heard that Windows 10 has privacy issues which is really putting me off upgrading. Also when I upgrade, will all my application work with Windows 10 like they do in Windows 7?...
  9. Reinstall Windows 8 after 10 upgrade

Reinstall Windows 8 after 10 upgrade: I am trying to remember.. After a machine has been upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 8, let us say a year later, will the license key allow you to download, create a Windows 8 iso and reinstall that. Someone has a Surface Pro 2 (I think thats what it is) that was...
  10. Should i upgrade to 10?

in Windows 10 Support
    Should i upgrade to 10?: Well, I am currently still on 7. Recently when i start up my pc. The screen hang on the desktop page. I got to hard reset to be able to use. I wonder does upgrading to Window 10 solve this problem? I can upgrade straight way. Theres a option at my notification bar to do...