Windows 10: 10 upgrade insists on changing the OS language

Discus and support 10 upgrade insists on changing the OS language in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hey, I live in Finland but use English OS's only. Currently running w7 Pro OEM Eng. I just tried to update to W10...BUT it simply opens up the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by deeaa, Jul 28, 2015.

1. deeaa Win User

10 upgrade insists on changing the OS language

Hey,

I live in Finland but use English OS's only. Currently running w7 Pro OEM Eng.

I just tried to update to W10...BUT it simply opens up the install dialogs in FINNISH and says I can only perform a clean install and not keep my settings and files because the OS is different language than the one to be installed (Finnish).

SO how do I change the install language to English - I assume it just checks where I am and assumes everyone here wants a Finnish OS as force-feeds it to me. But a complete clean install just now is a big no-no, so I want it to install it in English instead. Ideas?

:)

deeaa, Jul 28, 2015
  2. Ferkner Win User

Windows 10 Mail app in the wrong language

After upgrading my Surface Pro to Windows 10, the Mail app is in French, while everything else is in English. I removed French as a language on my Surface, but Mail still insists on being in French.

How do I change it to English? Windows Display Language is set to English (Canada).

Ferkner, Jul 28, 2015
  3. chinese everything? Windows 10

Hello

How are you upgrading to upgrade to windows 10 on both the other comps?

What was the base language installed on both the computer? Was it English OS or Chinese OS?

Boot the computer to the desktop, remove all the languages and set English as the language. Also change the region and region setting.

Now using the ISO of Windows 10, upgrade your PC to Windows 10

Singh_s_King, Jul 28, 2015
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

Change your Locale on your RUNNING OS to say UK / US / CAN depending on the English OS you originally had and then try re-running the update again.

Disconnect Internet too while performing the upgrade -- there's some setting that senses where you are which can be switched off but I don't know where it is so it's easier just to disconnect the internet. (Obviously you'll need the Internet for the original download).

You could also try the various links on the Forum to download the ISO manually - then it's OK to do an update in the usual way.

If you want to ADD languages after install with PRO do it with settings.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jul 28, 2015
  5. deeaa Win User
    Thanks,

Yeah I'll give the manual USB installation route just now...at least that started the process in English so looking good!

deeaa, Jul 28, 2015
  6. deeaa Win User
    Well no such luck.

"We couldn't install Windows 10" after an hour of copying and preparing. Failed in SAFE_OS phase with an error during APPLY_IMAGE operation.

It's starting to look like I can't upgrade to w10 at all. I also tried this on my win 8.1. machine - exact same deal. Not possible to upgrade :-( it suggests doing a clean install instead - but in that case I'd have to buy a win 10 serial so it's not an option.

I have four windows - no five windows boxes here, 2 with 7 three with 8.1 on them..so far can't update two of them. I guess it's time to test it on the third one...

deeaa, Jul 28, 2015
  7. rax94 Win User
    Hello. I have the same problem - I live in the UK, have english licence for 8.1 and have language set to english, yet it tries to install a polish version of Windows 10. This is incredibly annoying, hope to get a solution soon.

rax94, Jul 28, 2015
  8. deeaa Win User

I was able to circumvent it by setting all locales to USA and keyboard also. Now it works. Everything looks good, NVidia drivers won't install so no games or multiscreen now but it'll come soon for sure.

Hope you'll get it sorted as well...

deeaa, Jul 28, 2015
  9. brainout Win User
    Do you have 'geforce' nVidia driver? That was a glitch over the weekend we Insiders experienced. We got a troubleshooter to stop the Windows driver update. Here's a link to the article on it. Here's the troubleshooter, article with link to it but also results; yet I'm not sure it will work for you, might only be for Insiders. Point is, they are working on it.

brainout, Jul 29, 2015
  10. deeaa Win User
    Oh yeah, five of my PC's have NVidia cards ;-) thanks for the tip will go see what can be done!

BTW also learned there is no FW support in win 10 - but my FW soundcard still seems to work fine so far...we'll see.

deeaa, Jul 29, 2015
  11. laakspen Win User
    Hi deeaa!

I have win 8.1 pro Fin and also want to change the language in upgrade to En. I will upgrade using DVD.
    Have you got any difficulties when using Win 10 which was upgraded with trick to language En.

I hope there will be no problem wit Finnish serial number in the future if it is needed. Win xxx Pro is multilanguage. I don't understand why the language change is not official.

Do you remember which locals must be changed. Time, keyboard, money, ......?

BR

laakspen, Aug 4, 2015
  12. deeaa Win User
    Locality, keyboard, language all set to USA. Then it installed fine in English. Maybe not all that was even needed but that's what I set. After that I changed back to Finland and Fin keyboard but language English, installed a language pack for both though.

NVidia ceased to be a problem the very next morning btw.

deeaa, Aug 4, 2015
  13. laakspen Win User

Hi!
    Thanks deeaa!
    Some day I try too, but first image copy to be safe.
    BR

laakspen, Aug 4, 2015
  14. laakspen Win User
    Hi!
    I still have some questions.

Deaa:
    1)
    Did you have internet connection open when you upgraded to Win 10 En?
    2)
    Is your Win 10 now activated and did if happen automatic?

And then some ideas why MS has tried to block language change in upgrade :
    I still admire if Microsoft has some reason not to allow change OS language in upgrade. Can there be some parts "near OS" which are not updated in the upgrade process and which still remains to "old language" and can later cause some issues. Or can there be some language dependent parts in installed applications which which are not of course changed in upgrade. MS allows language change in clean install and then issues above are not possible. I hope I'm wrong when thinking those possible upgrade problems.

BR

laakspen, Aug 5, 2015
  15. deeaa Win User
    Yes, the machine was hooked up all the time and yes, it's now automatically activated.

Seems to me it took a couple of boots and maybe 30 minutes to an hour doing some sort of background finalizing stuff for the computer and programs. Initially everything worked right and fast, but most programs I opened or drives it pondered a bit. Also my home network showed but wasn't accessible and the NVidia kept 2nd monitor blank, and it would not authenticate windows when I tried.

However, next boot it asked for my MS Live ID and after that it authenticated automatically, my home network works just like before, and windows update sorted out the NVidia problem.
    A couple of times, doing some task for the first time since the update, it seems to think a few seconds even now.

As for language change - yes it's weird because after install it lets you freely select display and text languages anyway.
    My Win8 was in English, and that's the way I keep it but need the Finnish keyboard anyhow...so it was kind of weird it would want to install a Finnish w10 based on locality...and then refuse installation because locality was mismatched with the system language. Kinda stupid, but luckily easily corrected by forcing a bogus locality.

deeaa, Aug 5, 2015
Thema:

1. 10 upgrade insists on changing the OS language - Similar Threads - upgrade insists changing

2. Changing language to the OS, but it is not native

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changing language to the OS, but it is not native: Hi all,I am in a fight with a vendor who sent me back a pc after maintenance in guarantee with Windows 10 pro in Italian instead of the original English. I know that he will reply to install one Microsoft tool which changes the appearance of the language to English.BUT I...
  3. Changing language to the OS, but it is not native

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing language to the OS, but it is not native: Hi all,I am in a fight with a vendor who sent me back a pc after maintenance in guarantee with Windows 10 pro in Italian instead of the original English. I know that he will reply to install one Microsoft tool which changes the appearance of the language to English.BUT I...
  4. Cannot change the OS language on windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot change the OS language on windows 10: I'm trying to change the OS language from English to French. I know I can change the input language and everything but it's really important that I change the OS language. But when I click on the drop down box in the settings, it doesn't seem to have any other languages. I've...
  5. Cannot change the OS language on windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot change the OS language on windows 10: I'm trying to change the OS language from English to French. I know I can change the input language and everything but it's really important that I change the OS language. But when I click on the drop down box in the settings, it doesn't seem to have any other languages. I've...
  6. Can't Change OS Language

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't Change OS Language: I am trying to change the OS language from Hebrew to English but it doesn't really work, what can I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-change-os-language/ccb74adb-4ff9-43b4-85ab-c4da90c93f87
  7. change windows 10 OS language

change windows 10 OS language: i just bought a Huwaei mate laptop but it has the Chinese windows 10 OS. how can i change that into the ENGLISH OS ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-windows-10-os-language/6d231d8a-efee-4c8c-8214-f7e6f40a78ea
  8. Changing Windows 10 OS language

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Changing Windows 10 OS language: I just bought an HP Pavilion - in Spanish: I dutifully changed everthying to English: however, Event Viewer, DOS (CMD), SYSCONFIG, REGEDIT etc all remain in Spanish: how can I fix this?...
  9. OS language changed

OS language changed: I downloaded the Hebrew language to be able to type in Hebrew and now my OS is in Hebrew. How do I get it back to English? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/os-language-changed/d8184045-5acc-4a87-93b4-ccc12e43e9c9
  10. changing OS language

in Windows 10 Support
    changing OS language: Hi all, i have "windows 10 home single language". my goal is to change the OS language to Turkish. how to do that? Moreover, i am using swedish keyboard, when i change my OS language to Turkish, it will not affect the swedish keyboard, right? 61324