100% disk usage after a shut down post-update/restart

Discus and support 100% disk usage after a shut down post-update/restart in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Ever since I have updated my windows 10 home Dell laptop to 1803, I have experienced an abnormality after an update. After the viewing usual restart to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by JMacleod26, Jul 9, 2018.

1. JMacleod26 Win User

Ever since I have updated my windows 10 home Dell laptop to 1803, I have experienced an abnormality after an update. After the viewing usual restart to fully install the updates, everything is fine afterwards and I shut down fine. Next time I turn it back on is another story.

When I turn it back on and log in, my Disk is basically glued to 100% disk usage. Last time this happened (on June 14th, the day after the update), aside from flickering down to 98% momentarily, it took two whole hours for my disk to go back to normal. As I write this I’m stuck in the same situation again with my disk stuck at 100% for an hour now. It went down to 90% for a second, and then bounced back up to 100% where it now stays at.

Looking at the task manager, nothing is being shown to be eating my disk, with all values at 0.1mb. Naturally, this has me incredibly freaking frustrated that I have to wait 2 damn hours to even use my damn laptop, if going by what happened last time, and would like some help so this doesn’t keep happening.

Dell Inspiron 15 5000
    Windows 10 Home Edition 64 bit
    1TB hard drive
    16GB DDR4 RAM
    Intel core i7-7500 @2.90 GHz

:)

JMacleod26, Jul 9, 2018
  2. Salman Patwegar Win User

100% disk usage

The most common cause of 100% disk usage appears to be Superfetch and Prefetch, but there are also other causes. You can try disabling both these features and see if it helps.

This article provides steps to disable prefecth and superfetch:

-
    How to Fix 100% Disk Usage Error in Windows 10

Salman Patwegar, Jul 9, 2018
  3. Jose Est Win User
    100% disk usage and memory usage

Hi,

100% disk usage and memory usage can be caused by a software corruption, running application running on the background and malware or virus infection.

For us to properly isolate the issue and provide an appropriate resolution, kindly answer the questions below:

• Did the issue happen after installing the Fall Creators?
    • Did you receive any error messages?
    • Can you send us the screenshot of the Task Manager showing the 100% disk usage and memory usage?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

For isolation purposes, please perform a clean boot to see if the same issue will occur. Refer to this
    article for more information on how to perform a clean boot
    in Windows.

Looking forward to your response.

Jose Est, Jul 9, 2018
  4. garybear89 Win User

garybear89, Jul 9, 2018
Thema:

1. 100% disk usage after a shut down post-update/restart - Similar Threads - 100% disk usage

2. Disk 100% usage - Windows Defender problem?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Disk 100% usage - Windows Defender problem?: I have had the 100% disk usage problem for a few months now and am going crazy. I am using Windows 10 (Home). I've done a lot of research and have tried stopping Super Fetch and Windows Search, both of which provided very short-lived relief. This problem is ongoing and...
  3. onedrive on bootup causes 100% disk usage for 10 ~ 20 minutes

onedrive on bootup causes 100% disk usage for 10 ~ 20 minutes: onedrive on bootup causes 100% disk usage for 10 ~ 20 minutes Help..makes my laptop unusable please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/onedrive-on-bootup-causes-100-disk-usage-for-10-20/66a39529-ed8b-4336-8970-a487d7b99b7d
  4. High DISK 100% usage

High DISK 100% usage: Forum Curious to know if I might have a problem(s) or maybe it's just the nature of the beast. At startup the following executables are responsible to 100% disk usage thus slowing down my laptop for anywhere 3 - 14/15 minutes: Service Host: Local System (Network...
  5. HDD Disk Usage Suddenly Goes Up to 100 and Comes Back

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HDD Disk Usage Suddenly Goes Up to 100 and Comes Back: Hi there, I have an ASUS laptop with these specs: CPU: Intel Core i7 6700HQ RAM: 16GB DDR4 GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 960m + Intel HD Graphics 530 2TB HDD + 128GB SSD Windows 10 v1709 x64 Windows is installed on the SSD drive to perform faster, but it seems like it has a...
  6. 100% Disk Usage - what's the MS response?

100% Disk Usage - what's the MS response?: Would someone from Microsoft please come onto the community and let us know what your response is to this seemingly intractable problem? At least if you admit there's an issue, you can start listening and learning how your (very capable) users are working around it....
  7. 100% disk usage after a shut down post-update/restart

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    100% disk usage after a shut down post-update/restart: Ever since I have updated my windows 10 home Dell laptop to 1803, I have experienced an abnormality after an update. After the usual restart to fully install the updates, everything is fine afterwards and I shut down fine. Next time I turn it back on is another story. When I...
  8. Disk Usage at 99-100% but the Task Manager doesn't show what is actually causing it.

Disk Usage at 99-100% but the Task Manager doesn't show what is actually causing it.: This is kind of hard to describe but I've been having a problem of the Disk Usage at 99-100%. I just did an update to the Windows 10 version 1807 and ever since then, when I check my Task Manager to see how the computer is doing, it will still sometimes be running that hard,...
  9. How To Identify Cause of 100% Disk Usage?

How To Identify Cause of 100% Disk Usage?: I have a win10 machine that keeps slowing down drastically and when I check with Task Manager I see there's 100% system disk usage. And I can't figure out what is causing it. And I can't understand how it could be that important that is would slow the machine. 100% usage...
  10. 100% disk usage when watching 4k videos.

100% disk usage when watching 4k videos.: It started a couple days back. Whenever I try to watch any 4k video on my system the video lags, system goes slow and disk usage is at 100%. I have Radeon HD 6670 and 8gb of ram. Should I reinstall windows just for this? Thanks. 103300