Windows 10: 100% disk usage after a shut down post-update/restart

Discus and support 100% disk usage after a shut down post-update/restart in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Ever since I have updated my windows 10 home Dell laptop to 1803, I have experienced an abnormality after an update. After the usual restart to fully... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by JMacleod26, Jul 9, 2018.

1. 100% disk usage after a shut down post-update/restart

Ever since I have updated my windows 10 home Dell laptop to 1803, I have experienced an abnormality after an update. After the usual restart to fully install the updates, everything is fine afterwards and I shut down fine. Next time I turn it back on is another story.

When I turn it back on and log in, my Disk is basically glued to 100% disk usage. Last time this happened (on June 14th, the day after the update), aside from flickering down to 98% momentarily, it took two whole hours for my disk to go back to normal. As I write this I’m stuck in the same situation again with my disk stuck at 100% for an hour now. It went down to 90% for a second about 40 minutes ago, and then bounced back up to 100% where it now stays at.

Looking at the task manager, nothing is being shown to be eating my disk, with all values at 0.1mb. Naturally, this has me incredibly freaking frustrated that I have to wait 2 damn hours to even use my damn laptop, if going by what happened last time, and would like some help so this doesn’t keep happening.

Dell Inspiron 15 5000
    Windows 10 Home Edition 64 bit
    1TB hard drive
    16GB DDR4 RAM
    Intel core i7-7500 @2.90 GHz

EDIT 1: I will add that the only other time I suffer high disk usage is during an update, which is par for the course really.

EDIT 2: As of 1 hour 30 minutes the throttling has ended. This is fecking ridiculous.

EFIT 3: Now it’s at 100% again this is beyond the god damn joke.

:)

JMacleod26, Jul 9, 2018

2. 100% disk usage

The most common cause of 100% disk usage appears to be Superfetch and Prefetch, but there are also other causes. You can try disabling both these features and see if it helps.

This article provides steps to disable prefecth and superfetch:

-
    How to Fix 100% Disk Usage Error in Windows 10

Salman Patwegar, Jul 9, 2018
  3. Jose Est Win User
    100% disk usage and memory usage

Hi,

100% disk usage and memory usage can be caused by a software corruption, running application running on the background and malware or virus infection.

For us to properly isolate the issue and provide an appropriate resolution, kindly answer the questions below:

• Did the issue happen after installing the Fall Creators?
    • Did you receive any error messages?
    • Can you send us the screenshot of the Task Manager showing the 100% disk usage and memory usage?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

For isolation purposes, please perform a clean boot to see if the same issue will occur. Refer to this
    article for more information on how to perform a clean boot
    in Windows.

Looking forward to your response.

Jose Est, Jul 9, 2018
  4. 100% disk usage after a shut down post-update/restart

garybear89, Jul 9, 2018
Thema:

100% disk usage after a shut down post-update/restart

1. 100% disk usage after a shut down post-update/restart - Similar Threads - 100% disk usage

2. 100% disk usage after win11 update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    100% disk usage after win11 update: My DELL-G7 was just updated to win11 from win10. And it became VERY VERY slow even just to open a folder and freezes sometimes. I checked the task manager, and guessed that the full disk usage may be the reason? How can I solve it?btw, all available windows updates are...
  3. 100% disk usage after win11 update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    100% disk usage after win11 update: My DELL-G7 was just updated to win11 from win10. And it became VERY VERY slow even just to open a folder and freezes sometimes. I checked the task manager, and guessed that the full disk usage may be the reason? How can I solve it?btw, all available windows updates are...
  4. 100% Disk usage due to shut down the laptop in the middle of installing a program

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    100% Disk usage due to shut down the laptop in the middle of installing a program: Hello Everyone Thank you for reading this First, I apologize for my bad English. I have shut down the laptop a few days ago by pressing the power bottom in the middle of installing a program because my laptop hanged at the time. since then my laptop speed is cut down to...
  5. 100% Disk Usage after Update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    100% Disk Usage after Update: Build: 18362.19h1 Release: 190318-1202 The "System" process in Task Manager is reporting 0.1MB/s but showing 100% disk usage. Windows Apps seem to be corrupted. Calculator, Camera, etc. greyed out and getting error messages saying App Failed to Start What I tried: - Stopped...
  6. 100% disk usage after May 2020 Update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    100% disk usage after May 2020 Update: My Hp laptop RAM :8GB, Intel 8th gen i3 is working perfectly before the update. When i updated to new windows 2004 build, every thing goes to worse, now i can't use any application, the systemntoskrnl.exe is using 100% disk and windows is hanging, I tried all possible way,...
  7. 100% disk usage after windows update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    100% disk usage after windows update: I've updated my computer and Task Explorer states that the hard drive is at 100% disk usage. I'm not very tech savvy, is this normal ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/100-disk-usage-after-windows-update/a7331e73-2bc5-4d01-9acd-33fe53d755c6
  8. 100% Disk Usages, Very Slow Boot & Shut Down

100% Disk Usages, Very Slow Boot & Shut Down: After new update 1809 in Windows 10, it's take almost more than 10 min to boot the system properly. And than Disk usages goes to 100% and system become very slow to do any work, even cannot see any photo album properly. My Laptop usages is very less. But in case of emergency,...
  9. 100% disk usage after windows update

100% disk usage after windows update: Hi! So I have just recently updated my computer last week on Thursday and ever since then my disk usage has been sitting at 100% most of the time without running anything in the background. I have tried with disabling superfetch and the other thing (I can't remember what it...
  10. 100% disk usage after a shut down post-update/restart

in Windows 10 Support
    100% disk usage after a shut down post-update/restart: Ever since I have updated my windows 10 home Dell laptop to 1803, I have experienced an abnormality after an update. After the viewing usual restart to fully install the updates, everything is fine afterwards and I shut down fine. Next time I turn it back on is another story....