Windows 10: 100% HDD slowing laptop to a crawl

Discus and support 100% HDD slowing laptop to a crawl in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi, I have just bought a brand new HP Laptop 8 Gig RAM, 7th gen i7 Intel, 2 TB HDD. Currently it"s not running much software & that annoying 100% HDD... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by ScottDN, Jul 14, 2018.

1. ScottDN Win User

100% HDD slowing laptop to a crawl

Hi, I have just bought a brand new HP Laptop 8 Gig RAM, 7th gen i7 Intel, 2 TB HDD. Currently it"s not running much software & that annoying 100% HDD usage has already appeared. I have already increased the virtual RAM ( should be necessary with these specs). This problem made me stop using my last laptop & I'd figured after a year playing with Android you would have fixed this.

:)

ScottDN, Jul 14, 2018
  2. Kem Mon Win User

unlock hdd

Hi Johan,

It is possible that your
    HDD was unreadable
    causing the error message to appear. We recommend that you perform these troubleshooting steps and check if there are any changes:

• Shutdown
      your
      PC.

• Unhooked
      the
      HDD
      and
      turn on
      your
      PC.

• Reconnect
      your
      HDD
      and
      restart
      your
      PC.

If the issue persists, we suggest that you contact your
    laptop/computer's manufacturer
    for further assistance.

Update us on how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Jul 14, 2018
  3. Johankaan Win User
    unlock hdd

Johankaan, Jul 14, 2018
  4. 100% HDD slowing laptop to a crawl

New HDD for my Laptop

Ok, I have a Lenovo T60 Laptop. I got it ~3 years ago and it's running very well. (very solid machine) I don't get to have a new laptop until next year, so I want to upgrade my current one. Specs:
    Code: 2GHz Core Duo, 1GB (2x512MB) DDR2-667, X1400M, 100GB 7200rpm HDD[/quote] I use it for school mostly. Internet, word processing, and the occasional 3D game. (Halo, BF2, RCT2) Nothing serious.

The only upgrade I could think of that's worth the money would be to upgrade the HDD. So that's what I want to upgrade. And I'm looking for speed. Here are some requirements:

Hard Drive
    • $75 Max
    • 160GB+
    • Fast
    SSD
    • $100 Max
    • Preferably 60GB+, but I can do 30GB if it's really cheap
    Notes/Concerns:
    • I'd like to have a warranty. Not necessary, but preferred.
    • Single platter hdds ROCK! (But I don't know the # of platters of 2.5in HDDs)
    • The only SSD I'm gonna get is one that's JMicron based. Is it worth it? In other words, JMicron SSD or laptop HDD?
    So any specific recommendations? Thanks! *Smile 100% HDD slowing laptop to a crawl :)

angelkiller, Jul 14, 2018
Thema:

100% HDD slowing laptop to a crawl

1. 100% HDD slowing laptop to a crawl - Similar Threads - 100% HDD slowing

2. Copying from SSD to HDD starts normally and then slows to a crawl

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Copying from SSD to HDD starts normally and then slows to a crawl: I've been using a 6TB HDD WD Blue to backup files from my system, but starting a few weeks ago, when copying files from my SSD, the transfer would start off fast and then slow to a crawl, at times dropping to 0 bytes/s. I suspected the drive was dying, and replaced it with an...
  3. Copying from SSD to HDD starts normally and then slows to a crawl

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Copying from SSD to HDD starts normally and then slows to a crawl: I've been using a 6TB HDD WD Blue to backup files from my system, but starting a few weeks ago, when copying files from my SSD, the transfer would start off fast and then slow to a crawl, at times dropping to 0 bytes/s. I suspected the drive was dying, and replaced it with an...
  4. Copying from SSD to HDD starts normally and then slows to a crawl

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Windows running at a slow crawl

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows running at a slow crawl: Dell InspirionIntel Core i5-9400 @2.90GHz32 GB RAMWindows 11 x64For the past week or so my PC has become almost unuseable because of how slow it runs. I read there was recent update KB5007215 but I can not find a download link on the MS website.I've tried shutting down all...
  6. Laptop running Windows 10, slowing to a crawl...

Laptop running Windows 10, slowing to a crawl...: Hello, recently my HP laptop running the most recent version of Windows 10 has been slowing down in weird ways. Every device function that isn't clicking or typing has slowed down significantly despite multiple restarts, ample hard drive space and it being free of malware as...
  7. Windows 10 is slowing to a crawl

Windows 10 is slowing to a crawl: Hey I've got Windows 10 v1909 and recently it became terribly slow. I had problems with BSOD for which i've consulted with the community and disabled Intel Turbo Boost 3 and uninstalled Kaspersky since they thought it might be conflicting with Malewarebytes. I've done a...
  8. Windows inexplicably slows to a crawl

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows inexplicably slows to a crawl: I've had an issue for a few weeks now where suddenly Windows will slow waaaay down (opening programs, websites refreshing, etc.) I can usually still open task manager and there are no obvious issues (nothing pinned at 100%, no one program that is the apparent culprit). A warm...
  9. Laptop WiFi slowed down to a crawl

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Laptop WiFi slowed down to a crawl: Device: Toshiba Satellite C55-C5241. OS: Windows 10 x64 (Pre Installed) ISP: Suddenlink WiFi Router: Netgear N600 Wireless Double band router (WNDR3400v3). Firmware version V1.0.0.38_1.0.40 I get a low speed of 0.3 Mbps on the laptop through WiFi whereas the same WiFi...
  10. Startup slowed to a crawl

in Windows 10 Support
    Startup slowed to a crawl: Hi Everyone, I haven't been here for quite some time. About a week ago something changed with my Windows 10 startup. Everything seems to begin smoothly until the final blue screen finishes. There was usually a slight pause before the desktop appears but now just before my...