Windows 10: 10122.. Whoah. Ok.. what the heck just happened to my machine?

Discus and support 10122.. Whoah. Ok.. what the heck just happened to my machine? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I upgraded to 10122 this afternoon hoping that it would clear up some network blues I have been singing. Well, here is what my start menu looks like... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by musiclover7, May 21, 2015.

1. 10122.. Whoah. Ok.. what the heck just happened to my machine?

I upgraded to 10122 this afternoon hoping that it would clear up some network blues I have been singing. Well, here is what my start menu looks like now after upgrade:

10122..  Whoah.  Ok.. what the heck just happened to my machine? [​IMG]

Yep. All icons are toast, and no labels to go with them.

Anyone else having this particular problem?

:)

musiclover7, May 21, 2015
  2. Waido2525 Win User

What the Heck Just Happened to my Windows 10 Machine?

I'm not really looking for an answer I'm just venting and very confused.

My laptop worked fine all day. Then I randomly got a warning my" PC is About to Shut Down in Less Than a Minute"

There were no options to stop it I hit ESC but it shut down anyways after about 10 seconds! There were no updates installing I had just checked and it said it was up to date and there were no indications any were pending a restart.

When the PC rebooted I had no mouse. My ELAN touchpad driver was replaced with a generic HID compliant driver.

It gets worse. I could log in using my keyboard to type my password but after the desktop loaded...NO KEYBOARD.

I have a touch screen so I was able to start trying to fix things. There was no driver Roll Back for my touchpad in Device Manager.

Then the touch screen stopped working.

I rebooted it again long enough to get restart selected and managed to hit shift before the keyboard locked up and rebooted into recovery.

I looked at my restore points. There were no new updates installed in the most recent one Last updates were installed 5 days ago.

I picked the newest one from when I installed an update to Classic Shell... Started the restore process.

Then got an error that the restore could not be completed with a big ol red X on it. So I rebooted the PC again and when the desktop loaded I got a message saying my system had been restored.

In less then 2 minutes Windows 10 managed to disable or screw up every interface device I have for no reason at all.

Now that the restore is done my ELAN Touch pad driver is back even though it had never been removed except for apparently being taken over by a MS generic piece of ****.

This system is a joke. Yes I already have all new drivers from my PC manufacture installed but this Windows 10 is becoming unusable and more random by the day.

I really hope someone, not just some random user or forum poster, but a real programmer at MS who works with hardware manufactures and went to school to do this takes a good long look in the mirror and says to themselves "I'm a total moron and should feel
    terrible about having any part in this awful Windows 10"

Waido2525, May 21, 2015
  3. sookearch Win User
    what the heck just happened today!? Limited access to my files?!

Thank you for your input, Andre. Will this also apply to windows 10? Or is there a different protocol for it?

sookearch, May 21, 2015
  4. rvbfan Win User

10122.. Whoah. Ok.. what the heck just happened to my machine?

If you can try a clean install. Likely leftovers from the last install messing with the new build.

rvbfan, May 21, 2015
  5. Nope, besides some blurry icons and re sizing issues not too many problems. Did you try a system refresh and did you perform a clean install? This build does have some issues with Amd drivers so you might want to check that out as well.

welcometoheaven, May 21, 2015
  6. I have an Amd processor, but an Nvidia graphics card. Might be time to quit trying to use 10 as the main OS, on my entertainment computer. I'm not up for another clean install just yet. Going to resort to classic shell to pull me through till I'm up for a reload.

musiclover7, May 21, 2015
  7. Saltgrass Win User
    How did you get the full screen Start Menu screen? I thought they removed the option to go full screen. If you are running the Tablet mode, possibly try changing it one way or the other to see if it helps.

Right after I upgraded my system, the tiles were a little messed up, but time seemed to cure some of that.

The AMD situation mentioned, I think related to the Display drivers.... Are you running the latest Nvidia driver, 352.84 if that is appropriate for your card?

Saltgrass, May 21, 2015
  8. topgundcp Win User

topgundcp, May 21, 2015
  9. Not that problem on my AMD APU driven laptop - others yes *Wink but not that one.
    I can't pin to start - errr I can, but they never show up. Pint to taskbar is fine.

Also try Personalize Colors Start transparency off. Who knows.

This is a funny release.

I was on 10.0.74 and this one is 10.0.10122 - wow! that's a hefty jump *Wink
    We'll be at a million before Current Branch (CB - what a dumb name - it means nothing)
    At least RTM (pretty much industry accepted nomenclature), no matter how much MS thinks it's antiquated, meant something - a milestone, it's ready for manufacturing to create media.
    *Roflmao2*Roflmao2*Roflmao2

edit: I have network issues on this release - never on prior releases.
    I ran DISM and SFC - everything is god according to those utils.
    I also installed with a local account - and pretty much turned everything offered off except smartscreen. during the install.
    I also did not connect when prompted for an SSID - that could be why I'm exepreienceing issues.

There are too many assumptions being made by the coders, but it is still a Preview release. I won't be upset until the CB...
    I'l probably aslo wait unitl the first or second CB before upgrading.

Slartybart, May 21, 2015
  10. hmmmm, just noticed the pages flipping on Edge. Reading view is implemented on TenForums - cool.

But, it's just a page, you lose the posters and the separators. Still cool - thanks John!

Slartybart, May 21, 2015
  11. Update.. Upgrading to 10130 fixed my issues for the most part. I can now open the start menu, and it looks ok. The only thing I cannot do is pin anything else to it. I am not a big fan of these most recent changes to the start menu. Now it takes 2 clicks to get to all apps. First world problems I know, but still, not a fan.

musiclover7, May 29, 2015
  12. CountMike New Member
    The only problem I have with start on 10122 and 10225 is that all icons and tiles will not show up if something else is stealing focus. Sometimes it takes few presses of start button to show up all of the start menu even on bare desktop.

CountMike, May 29, 2015
  13. 10122.. Whoah. Ok.. what the heck just happened to my machine?

I guess it was just a temporary fix.. I am now back to blank icons. At least I can read the text on them though.

musiclover7, May 31, 2015
  14. Side note.. Even when you have icons on tiles, they are painfully small, especially when you resize them to small. They are like this microscopic tiny icon inside of a scrabble square sized tile. Am I the only one who feels like they really ought to increase the size of the icons inside of the tiles? That, and maybe allow us to change the color of tiles rather than just resize them. When you have like 10 tiles that are all blue, with tiny little icons inside of them, it is less than easy to seek and find the program you are after. There is a suggestion out there in feedback to increase the size of the icons, but strangely, there are only 2 ups. I'd love to see that number increase.

musiclover7, May 31, 2015
  15. CountMike New Member
    That's what it was in 10122, icons (conventional) where as large as tile but they are not of right resolution so they looked fuzzy. Those icons are provided by program they are attached to.

CountMike, May 31, 2015
Thema:

1. 10122.. Whoah. Ok.. what the heck just happened to my machine? - Similar Threads - 10122 Whoah heck

2. What the heck?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What the heck?: So United States English doesn't seem to support text to speech...VERY BIG HMMMIs this a problem with my PC or with Microsoft??? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-the-heck/507d6c7f-5345-447f-a75b-d479be6fbd3b
  3. What the heck?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What the heck?: So United States English doesn't seem to support text to speech...VERY BIG HMMMIs this a problem with my PC or with Microsoft??? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-the-heck/507d6c7f-5345-447f-a75b-d479be6fbd3b
  4. What the heck??!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What the heck??!!: what the heck, I just found this today. Is there somebody who has a solution to this. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-the-heck/330e12dc-aa19-40fd-9292-a4ccb8a5d83e
  5. What the heck???

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What the heck???: I was on Facebook and this popped up... I have never seen this message before... what is it???I am running...Edition Windows 11 Home Version 22H2 Installed on ‎11/‎23/‎2022 OS build 22621.819 Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22636.1000.0...
  6. What the heck just happened?

in Windows 10 Support
    What the heck just happened?: Five-year old Dell desktop with OEM Win10. Five-months ago, thought SSD C-drive was caput. After buying new SSD and installing Win10 on same, got the old SSD to work as an extra drive that wasn't being used. Things have been running fine until . . . Yesterday, Windows...
  7. What the Heck is This?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    What the Heck is This?: I've recently created a few restore points and tonight, for some bizarre reason, i get this error dialog notice! What does it mean? Why did this even happen? How do i correct it? Thanks you all [img] 145566
  8. What the heck happened!!!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What the heck happened!!!: Sunday morning, I ran my usual system virus scan. Upon completion (nothing found using Malwarebytes), I restarted my Win 10 (version 1803) desktop. I did not stay by the computer during the restart and didn't return for a couple hours. Here are the things that changed: 1....
  9. What the heck happened to Task Manager?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    What the heck happened to Task Manager?: Why does Task Manager no longer run on top of all other apps in Windows so that you can readily close apps/tasks that are causing issues on our systems - the way it used to???...
  10. What the heck is this that an update just installed???

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    What the heck is this that an update just installed???: [img] And the open envelope icon is in my taskbar, which launches this. But I have no idea what it is?? I didn't ask for it? What is it? 93357