Windows 10: 12 hour update

Discus and support 12 hour update in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I hibernated in the evening. When I tried to wake up the computer in the morning, it began an update. I recall seeing no messages, but the disk light... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by haysr, Mar 23, 2018.

1. haysr Win User

12 hour update

I hibernated in the evening. When I tried to wake up the computer in the morning, it began an update. I recall seeing no messages, but the disk light came on continuously. I waited until bored then switched to an alternative computer. An hour later it still was not done, but the pattern had changed. The disk light flashed on for a very short time, perhaps a half second. Then off for maybe 5 seconds repeatedly. The numlock key lights as normal, showing the process is still running. But it's been 25 hours now. Of course there are no messages about what Win10 is doing.

What could possibly be happening that would run this long?

BTW, if Microsoft is tallying customer satisfaction, count me one of the decades-long Microsoft customers who is absolutely livid with anger at the update process. Customers have deadlines and appointments for which they need their computers to work without delay. And no, making it finish in half the time will not solve the problem. The fundamental problem is the discourtesy of taking over the computer without informed permission.

:)

haysr, Mar 23, 2018

2. 12 hour clock merged with 24 hour clock

I'm on mango and i switched to 24 hour clock from 12 hour clock and now when i'm in 12 hour clock, there is still a 0 when there shouldnt be. for example, at 7:45, it says 07:45 and i cannot fix it. my mom has the same phone with the same update and it
    doesnt do this. I am running 7.10.7720.68 on an LG Optimus 7. please help, this is killing me

Devan Ramji, Mar 23, 2018
  3. Entegy Win User
    12 hour clock merged with 24 hour clock

I believe your Settings in Settings>region + language determine when a leading 0 is shown. Compare your settings to your mom's.

Entegy, Mar 23, 2018
  4. haysr Win User

12 hour update

Disk access light pattern has changed a couple of times, so it's showing signs of making progress. I guess. Now, is it trying to bring down a terabyte or two over my Internet link? What in the world is going on?

haysr, Mar 23, 2018
  5. Would you happen to know what version you were using before this started? 1607, 1703 or 1709?

I ask as if this is a feature update, 1703 => 1709, there have been some record breaking times for a feature update. I can't tell you why. ( Seeing your last post this could be what is happening. Waiting it out may be the answer. )

If this is just a run of the mill monthly update then you could wait but I think you've gotten to point where a hard power down is the only way out. This can have very bad outcomes but if it is stuck, it is stuck. Plenty of times the system will boot normally but you should be aware it can have a negative outcome.

If you are not imaging your system I would like recommend you have a look at this process. It can really save you. No argument that this shouldn't be happen but it does. This is a very good free tool.

Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect

Caledon Ken, Mar 23, 2018
  6. Caledon Ken, Mar 23, 2018
  7. haysr Win User
    Still running. Back to quick flash on hard drive, then maybe 5 sec pause before the next. Still responsive to numlock. But now it's been running 50 hours. I have no idea what version of Win 10 was last running. I also hesitate to interrupt, since I would expect it to start this all over next update. When, tomorrow? And it's too late now to set up or use any recovery option, no?

I think my only options are let it run or kill and reinstall Win 10. That would give me a nice long break from doing anything productive. What could be more welcome than reinstalling my apps, deal with activation or buy new copies on each, and work out settings and ad-ins. Or I could stop working and grow turnips. Maybe the Microsoft solution is just kill myself?

haysr, Mar 24, 2018
  8. 12 hour update

Hear you.

At this point myself I would hard power down, wait 30 secs and power on. You may be pleasantly surprised or .......

Please post back outcome.

Caledon Ken, Mar 24, 2018
  9. haysr Win User
    Well, I finally gave up. I did see a different pattern. The blip flash disk access, followed by a few second pause continues for several hours. But twice I saw that stop and continuous run of disk access. But then it started the flash/pause pattern. Trapped in a loop repeating one update? Doing several updates in a row? Who knows. Certainly Win10 didn't put out any message. So after, ahem, 101 hours--really--I powered down. She's now restarting with a very long period of hard drive activity. This is longer than usual, even for a restart. But maybe Win10 is restoring an old status or something.

It is curious that Microsoft decided not to tell users anything about process or status, and force updates and upgrades. This bodes ill for the company, I fear. Hubris has consequences.

Elements of software style was published in 1974. Pity MS didn't ask their employees and managers to read it.

Thanks for the input. Best wishes.

haysr, Mar 26, 2018
  10. Did your device come back?

Caledon Ken, Mar 27, 2018
  11. haysr Win User
    Well, I had to power down about 3 times, but eventually it did book OK. The only problem I see so far is it has forgotten bookmark tabs in Chrome, and recently opened files at least some places.

FWIW, SysInfo reports it's now running (in Win 10 Home) build 16299.

Bob

haysr, Mar 27, 2018
  12. Great.

16299.334 is the most recent.

Windows Key + R, type winver, enter.

Gives you all the details.

Caledon Ken, Mar 28, 2018
  13. haysr Win User

12 hour update

Winver now reports as follows. I don't know what it said before Microsoft decided one dark night I wanted an update when the computer awoke, of course.
    Version 1709 (OS Build 16299.192
    So it's not the latest and termination was of a real update in progress or stuck. Thanks.

haysr, Mar 30, 2018
  14. I would create a backup with Macrium so you have a point in time to return to, then run the update trouble shooter and check for updates.

Trouble Shoot Start => Setting => Update and security => Troubleshoot => Windows Update

Caledon Ken, Mar 31, 2018
  15. haysr Win User
    I followed Calendon Ken's advice and did a Macrium update and ran the update troubleshooter. Checking Win Version still shows me running 1709, but the log shows for it "last failed attempt on 3/14" (KB4074588). Since then there have been 6 updates that installed correctly, but all seem to have been other than Windows core functions. The log also reports a failed update 3/28 to v. 1709 (KB4088776).

I suspect that 1709 didn't install correctly, and nothing after that for the Win core functions is likely to. Should I get KB4074588 and run it again?

haysr, Apr 3, 2018
Thema:

12 hour update

1. 12 hour update - Similar Threads - hour update

2. Windows 11 updates take hours to complete

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 updates take hours to complete: Hi.I have a laptop that is a couple years old. Its not a slow one, its an ASUS Zenbook with Ryzen 7 4700U, 16Gb of RAM and a 512Gb Kingston NVMe SSD.Everything on the laptop works like a charm, except for Windows updates. Most updates take hours to complete, I usually just...
  3. Windows 11 updates take hours to complete

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 updates take hours to complete: Hi.I have a laptop that is a couple years old. Its not a slow one, its an ASUS Zenbook with Ryzen 7 4700U, 16Gb of RAM and a 512Gb Kingston NVMe SSD.Everything on the laptop works like a charm, except for Windows updates. Most updates take hours to complete, I usually just...
  4. KB5031358 Windows Update downloading over an hour?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    KB5031358 Windows Update downloading over an hour?: I had to factory restore my PC and all the other updates have installed but KB5031358 has been on 91% for over an hour now.How long should I leave it?Can I restart the device as Windows Update is telling me to? I’m not sure if I should with this update not installed.Some...
  5. KB5031358 Windows Update downloading over an hour?

KB5031358 Windows Update downloading over an hour?: I had to factory restore my PC and all the other updates have installed but KB5031358 has been on 91% for over an hour now.How long should I leave it?Can I restart the device as Windows Update is telling me to? I’m not sure if I should with this update not installed.Some...
  6. My system stuck on working on update at 19% from more than 1 hour

My system stuck on working on update at 19% from more than 1 hour: My system stuck on working on update at 19% from more than 1 hour https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-system-stuck-on-working-on-update-at-19-from/ec540592-a2ef-497e-b1aa-ccd9eb9f3d61
  7. My system stuck on working on update at 19% from more than 1 hour

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My system stuck on working on update at 19% from more than 1 hour: My system stuck on working on update at 19% from more than 1 hour https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-system-stuck-on-working-on-update-at-19-from/ec540592-a2ef-497e-b1aa-ccd9eb9f3d61
  8. It's Ben 10 hours and the update is only 8% I don't know what to do I am gonna keep it on...

It's Ben 10 hours and the update is only 8% I don't know what to do I am gonna keep it on...: And i hate this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/its-ben-10-hours-and-the-update-is-only-8-i-dont/a00e8ba7-91a2-4e63-9986-ed0cd98d101a
  9. It's Ben 10 hours and the update is only 8% I don't know what to do I am gonna keep it on...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    It's Ben 10 hours and the update is only 8% I don't know what to do I am gonna keep it on...: And i hate this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/its-ben-10-hours-and-the-update-is-only-8-i-dont/a00e8ba7-91a2-4e63-9986-ed0cd98d101a
  10. An update appeared for me and I updated the laptop, but it continued for an hour on a black...

An update appeared for me and I updated the laptop, but it continued for an hour on a black...: An update appeared for me and I updated the laptop, but it continued for an hour on a black screen. I turned the laptop off and on again more than once, but nothing changed....