Windows 10: 120hz Monitor, HDMI or DVI-D cable?

Discus and support 120hz Monitor, HDMI or DVI-D cable? in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Hey there, my old 2nd monitor is about to die (see: Solved Dual screen issue, 2nd screen turns black ... - Windows 10 Forums) so i got a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by Smallfoe, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Smallfoe Win User

120hz Monitor, HDMI or DVI-D cable?

Hey there,

my old 2nd monitor is about to die (see: Solved Dual screen issue, 2nd screen turns black ... - Windows 10 Forums) so i got a replacement. Now i figured thats this monitor is able to run 120hz and i sure as hell wanna use that. *Smile

But i remember i did read stuff about hdmi not being able to support 120hz, but i also got told its just the other way around. Now the internet seems to be in the same boat as me, since i do only find split answers. Nevertheless hear i am asking for help (again).

Wich cabel should i use? HDMI or DVI-D?

Monitor: Asus VG236HE (VG236HE | Monitore | ASUS Deutschland)
    Graphiccard: Gigabyte 970 GTX

Thanks in advance for the help <3

If that ain't the right forum for my question, feel free to move the topic as you please *Smile

Cheers

P.S.: i'm thinking about getting a third monitor .. how exactly am i going to connect them all onto one card? gosh im such a newb

:)

Smallfoe, Sep 16, 2016
  2. Time Lady Win User

External monitor for laptop

It sounds like you'll need a HDMI to DVI-D Cable which should allow you to connect the laptop to the monitor.

This one is on a UK store but will give you an idea of what it is:

https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-hdmi-to-dvi-d...

Time Lady, Sep 16, 2016
  3. RobertN83 Win User
    My second monitor won't display

Ah, this makes sense now. The port on the GPU only has a DVI-D port (along with the several HDMI and DP ports), not a DVI-I. I was unaware that a DVI-D would not work with a VGA cable/monitor. This makes me wonder why there are DVI-D-to-VGA adapters in the
    first place.

Thanks for your help.

RobertN83, Sep 16, 2016
  4. bobkn Win User

If you believe a (usually) reliable source, you'd have to use the DVI-D input to run 120 Hz.

Overview and Specifications - ASUS VG236H 23-inch 3D Display Review: 120Hz is the Future

I'm not sure about HDMI standards. HDMI 2.0 can do UHD (3960 X 2160) at 60Hz. HDMI 1.4 can do UHD at 30Hz. The latter would barely permit 1920 X 1080 at 120 Hz, if the limit was the pixel rate. Both standards may be newer than the monitor that you list.

As regards multiple monitors, the 970 may have a lot of digital connectors. A Gigabyte example (GV-N970G1 GAMING-4GD) has one DVI-D and one DVI-I; both are dual link. It has 3 DP outputs. There are DP to DVI dual link adapters available, but they're active and start at around $30 in the USA. Single link are much cheaper (but can't provide high bandwidth).

I have no idea what maximum number of monitors can be connected to a 970.

bobkn, Sep 17, 2016
  5. Smallfoe Win User
    I just wanna play games 1920x1080 at 120hz, anyting above doesnt matter to me at the moment. So by saying "both standards may be newer than the monitor that you list", you are basically saying that i should use dvi-d because the monitor ain't able to handle 1920x1080 at120hz using hdmi?

The maximum number of monitors wich can be connected to the 970 gtx is 4 if i recall right.

(playing games like various mmo's, overwatch, titles like mass effect and so on)

Smallfoe, Sep 17, 2016
  6. swarfega Win User
    I believe HDMI for graphics cards is slowly on the way out. I currently use DVI-D for one monitor (simply because it doesn't have displayport) and displayport on the gsync enabled monitor. I think displayport will prevail and become defacto.

The DVI-D monitor is set to 144Hz and the displayport one is set to 165Hz.

swarfega, Sep 17, 2016
  7. Smallfoe Win User
    I'm sorry but i don't see how that helps me at the moment since i got a older monitor than you *Biggrin sorry i'm dumb ^^

Smallfoe, Sep 17, 2016
  8. swarfega Win User

I believe bobkn answered your question.

swarfega, Sep 17, 2016
  9. Smallfoe Win User
    he certainly did, but i'm not sure i understood it right. I understood it as "dvi-d is the way to go"

Smallfoe, Sep 17, 2016
  10. Smallfoe Win User
    haha, thank you everyone .. and sorry for being a slowpoke most of the time *Biggrin

Smallfoe, Sep 17, 2016
  11. bobkn Win User
    If I was a little vague about HDMI, it's because I don't know what your monitor supports. I can't swear that it won't do 120Hz, via HDMI, but I believe that it can't.

Interestingly, the spec sheet in post #1 lists 85Hz as the maximum vertical frequency for a digital input. However, the AnandTech review clearly has it as a 120Hz 3D capable monitor.

bobkn, Sep 17, 2016
  12. bobkn Win User
    Yeah. I've been using DP for a while.

I am not overly fond of DP connectors, though. They don't seem to make very positive connections. I've disturbed mine just by poking around with other cables on the back of the PC. The old VGA and DVI cables were a bit of a pain, but they stayed put once screwed down.

bobkn, Sep 17, 2016
  13. Hagrid911 Win User

If you have the option I would use Display Port since it can do 120hz and has higher quality. If not just stick with HDMI it provides better quality video than DVI-D. As for a third display: buy a distribution amplifier. You can get a DA that supports up to 24 displays. The more you add the more $$$ you're gonna spend though.

Hagrid911, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. 120hz Monitor, HDMI or DVI-D cable? - Similar Threads - 120hz Monitor HDMI

2. DVI Cable.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DVI Cable.: I took a monitor with 144hz, I connect it via an HDMI cable, I get a picture, but HDMI only delivers 60hz, I went today to get a DVI cable, plug it into the graphics card, plug it into the monitor, turn on the PC, the computer recognizes DVI and all the settings are found,...
  3. DVI Cable.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DVI Cable.: I took a monitor with 144hz, I connect it via an HDMI cable, I get a picture, but HDMI only delivers 60hz, I went today to get a DVI cable, plug it into the graphics card, plug it into the monitor, turn on the PC, the computer recognizes DVI and all the settings are found,...
  4. DVI monitor and hdmi external capture card

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DVI monitor and hdmi external capture card: Hello I run a dual pc setup windows 10 x64. I have razer external capture card I use for streaming. Usually every other time I restart my gaming pc it will boot into hdmi connection instead of dvi port which will cause me to have too restart it again till I get my gaming...
  5. DVI monitor and hdmi external capture card

in Windows 10 Customization
    DVI monitor and hdmi external capture card: Hello I run a dual pc setup windows 10 x64. I have razer external capture card I use for streaming. Usually every other time I restart my gaming pc it will boot into hdmi connection instead of dvi port which will cause me to have too restart it again till I get my gaming...
  6. No dvi-d cable?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No dvi-d cable?: Hey! I am trying to set my dell u2410 monitor up as a second screen for my laptop, now iv done everything I need to on the laptops side but the monitor just says "No dvi-d cable" what am I doing wrong and how do I fix it?? Thanks for the help!...
  7. Monitor Recommendation for Dual Monitor with Displayport, HDMI, DVI

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Monitor Recommendation for Dual Monitor with Displayport, HDMI, DVI: I have one samsung syncmaster t240 very old monitor that i bought used from someone because i could not buy 1920x1200 monitors where im located. I connect it to my dell xps 15 9550 via hdmi to hdmi cable with no issue. I previously had an asus monitor that stopped working...
  8. Zotac gtx 1050 ti dvi-D cable to monitor not receiving signal

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Zotac gtx 1050 ti dvi-D cable to monitor not receiving signal: i have nvidia gtx 1050 ti graphics card installed in my pc and driver also installed i have plugged my gtx 1050 ti to monitor with dvi-D cable but my monitor showing black screen not receiving signal from graphics card when i plugged vga cable its start running intel...
  9. HDMI and DVI

HDMI and DVI: On PC monitors is the image better on a "HDMI" then a "DVI" connection? 44960
  10. DVI-D to HDMI problem

DVI-D to HDMI problem: My desktop (HP p7-1110) computer has been used for a few years with the monitor plugged into the VGA port. There's also a DVI-D port back there. I've recently acquired a larger monitor and wish to send it an HDMI signal which the old monitor wasn't capable of. I looked...