Windows 10: 13 min to desktop, can anyone help speed it up?

Discus and support 13 min to desktop, can anyone help speed it up? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Fingers crossed I have uploaded the start up event log, if not then I will have to find out how to do it! Anyway, as the title states today it took... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Trapper, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Trapper Win User

13 min to desktop, can anyone help speed it up?

Fingers crossed I have uploaded the start up event log, if not then I will have to find out how to do it!
    Anyway, as the title states today it took from 16:03:31 when I started to 16:16:43 to arrive at my desktop. Sometimes it is quicker but often as not this seems to be about normal.
    The log shows many 'Errors' and I have tried to see if Google Help can point me to a way to correct the errors but to be honest the majority are way beyond my ability to understand, my thinking better 13min than no PC!!

Can someone have a look through and see if there is anything I can attempt that would help? I have tried sfc, CCleaner files and reg etc but no improvement.

I thought about a repair install so as not to lose any programs or files, I have downloaded the ISO file listed as Redstone1 with build 14393 693 Version 1607 which is as shown on my 'About' screen.
    Would the repair install help with this or would I be making matters worse?

There a number of drives attached, mostly by USB which I use for backups and music files and wonder if checking the health of these is slowing up the start, and if so can I turn off the checking at start up?

Thanks for reading this far *Smile

Could not upload the evtx file so saved as a txt file, hope that's okay.

Alan.
    Startup 08 03 17 txt.txt

:)

Trapper, Mar 7, 2017

2. Can anyone help me with this..? :\ It says upgrade to windows 10 Home failed...and the windows 10 app says "Notify me when ready"..

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I would appreciate, if you can provide us the following information to help us understand the issue better?

• Are you getting any error code on your system when installation fails?

I would suggest you to follow steps provided by Andre Da Costa from the link given below and check.

Refer:

How to: A list of things to do if Windows 10
    Setup fails.

How to: Troubleshoot common Setup and Stop Errors
    during Windows 10 Installation

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Ashish Sondhi, Mar 7, 2017
  3. Can anyone help me with this..? :\ It says upgrade to windows 10 Home failed...and the windows 10 app says "Notify me when ready"..

Can anyone help me with this..? :\ It says upgrade to windows 10 Home failed...and the windows 10 app says "Notify me when ready"..
    13 min to desktop, can anyone help speed it up? [​IMG]

Venkat Ruthvik, Mar 7, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, start with two very basic simple steps:
    1. Download and run CrystalDiskinfo and post the single Window result (Blue is good).
    Use this to check each of your drives (listed across the top- click on each to see report on SMART params).

2. Assuming your PC's internal drive(s) is/are good:
    Do a clean boot with no USB devices connected.
    Clean Boot - Perform in Windows 10 to Troubleshoot Software Conflicts
    (1st part only).

How long does this take?

If the boot time is significantly reduced, then try booting normally again, but again, without USB devices connected.

3. History.
    For how long has it taken your PC this long to boot? Has there been a sudden increase in boot time? If so, can you think of nay change or update made around that time?

How long a boot time have you experienced when all seemed well?

4. What type of disk is your system disk? HDD? SSHD? SSD?

Comment:
    An in-place upgrade repair install will leave all programs and most settings as they are.
    If you have a problem related to
    a. hardware
    b. installed programs or drivers
    c. external devices
    it will not help.

If your system drive is fine and Windows is corrupted such that other repair techniques don't help, it can be useful.

You comment you have used sfc /scannow - can you confirm the report was that no problems were found?

Could you explain
    please?

dalchina, Mar 7, 2017
  5. Trapper Win User
    Thanks for your reply. I have run CrystalDiskInfo although Malwarebytes was not at all happy and kept blocking it. Anyway all drives were Blue as were all the results so looks like all drives are Good, odd thing was the drive it was installed on, in my case 'I', was not scanned or noted on the result as you will note . I have shown the result below:

I have now printed off the Clean Boot tutorial and that will be my next job, probably tomorrow. The printer decided it would not play ball so in the end I had to turn it off and try again, still no print so I shutdown the PC and the printer left for about 10 min then rebooted both, the PC booted up pretty quick, didn't time it but it was much faster.

Been getting worse since adding two WD Passport 1TB USB drives but that was some time ago; I guess around 2 months plus and the increase in boot time has been gradual, usually on 1st boot of the day like today and subsequent boots same day seem much quicker to get to the login screen.

All HDD disks in the PC, don't know the types in the Passport drives.

sfc/scannow found no errors

'Reg' is registry cleaner used in CCleaner.

I will have some more time tomorrow and will report here my results following your advice.

Thanks again.
    Alan.

Trapper, Mar 7, 2017
  6. vgchat Win User
    Hi trapper you can also use defraggler and it will also give a "health" readout. It should be able to read your I drive that crystaldisk couldn't see.

vgchat, Mar 8, 2017
  7. axe0 New Member
    Having a look at what happens, and when, I think that a clean boot should at least help a bit.
    If a clean boot doesn't help, download & install HDTune and perform a benchmark.
    Make sure that you post a screenshot with the following details when the benchmark is finished.

axe0, Mar 8, 2017
  8. Trapper Win User

Thanks for your suggestions, much appreciated.

I have completed the W10 Clean Boot as advised, all went well until the last part where System Configuration was ‘Not Responding’ so did not arrive at the option to restart now or later. After waiting about 5
    Min then I hit the reboot button and breathed a sigh of relief as the PC rebooted to the desktop.

Here’s how it went:
    I ‘Shutdown’ between each restart so the PC was dead each time.

I have taken the start time from the Event Log as Kernel General which give the time of starting.
    I have taken the end time from the Event Log as Winlogon so times listed are between these.

Disconnected ALL external (USB) drives. All internal drives connected. Start to end time 56 seconds.

• With I: drive connected: Start to end time 1.93min
    • With I: and M: WD Passport 2TB drive Start to end time 6.57min
    • With I: But M: removed Start to end time 1.21min
    • With I: and H: WD Passport (A)1TB Start to end time 1.71min
    • With I:+H; and J: WD Passport (B) 1TB Start to end time 1.16min
    • With I:+H:+J: and M: WD passport 2TB Start to end time 5.96min
    • With I:+H:+J:+M: and K: HD LUX 3 1TB Start to end time 6.47min
    • With I:+H:+J:+K but M: removed Start to end time 1.57min.

It would seem the problem is down to my 2TB WD Passport M: drive, having this connected drastically increases the boot time but not the 13min of the other morning!
    Event log reports all drives as healthy with drive letters except one with this description:

Volume \\?\Volume{ef929e94-0000-0000-0000-901a7d000000} (\Device\HarddiskVolume2) is healthy. No action is needed. Is this the W10 reserved partition?

Both the Event Log and CrystalFileInfo reported the Passport M drive as healthy, so any idea what would cause this drive to slow up the start?

Trapper, Mar 8, 2017
  9. axe0 New Member
    Do you use the same connection for each drive when testing?

axe0, Mar 8, 2017
  10. Trapper Win User
    Yes I do, the WD Passport 2TB has been in use for a few years, with either XP or Win 7 Pro. Do you suggest I swop them around?

Trapper, Mar 8, 2017
  11. dalchina New Member
    You could do a couple of checks on it:
    Crystal Diskmark
    (to test data rate which is more likely to show something)
    - and repeat that with the drive on a different connection/different cable...

and for the sake of it
    Macrorit Diskscanner
    although a surface check is unlikely to be the issue here.

dalchina, Mar 8, 2017
  12. Trapper Win User
    Two scan results here, not sure what it all means though.
    First scan on M: Drive connected on usual USB lead to PC.

Next scan on M: connected to a different USB lead to PC (Previously connected to H: Drive)

Some very different numbers.

Booted with the M: Drive connected to a different USB lead to the PC (Previously connected to H: Drive) the start to logon screen in Event Viewer now times at 2.05min. About 1/3 of the time on its usual lead as my previous post..
    I have not swopped the USB connection points on the MB. I will try one of the other WD drives on the same lead as the M: Drive was on when the startup was slow to see if that makes any difference.
    This is getting complicated!!

Trapper, Mar 8, 2017
  13. dalchina New Member

Getting closer. I don't know if you're using USB2 or 3- from your figures I guess USB2.

You can try a different disk on the same (apparently slower) USB connection and on a different one to get some figures to compare with those you've posted.

Now you can see a clear difference -a process of elimination should help you identify USB port/ cable / drive.

I would recommend you only have one USB disk connected at a time while you do this.

Note: clarity in terms: and a useful tip you may already know:
    Booted with the M: Drive connected to a different USB lead to the PC (Previously connected to H: Drive)

This is rather difficult to interpret.Why?1. As you know, when a drive is connected to a PC it is normally allocated the next available letter. Without the user taking specific action, external drives are not allocated a fixed letter, nor are particular USB ports.
    2. It is possible to effectively assign an external drive a fixed drive letter- provided the assigned drive letter is not in use when that drive is next connected. This is done in Disk Management by reallocating the drive to a specific letter- say W - far from any letters likely to be used by plugging in devices randomly. This is very useful for a backup drive which is connected and disconnected, for example.

Assuming you have not used the method in (2) I therefore interpret your statement as possibly meaning:
    I booted with the suspect USB drive allocated the drive letter M connected using a different USB lead which had previously been used for the drive allocated drive letter H.
    or
    I booted with the suspect USB drive allocated the drive letter M connected using a different USB lead. The M drive had previously been connected to the USB port to which the drive allocated drive letter H had been connected.

dalchina, Mar 9, 2017
  14. swarfega Win User
    One thing you can do is right click on taskbar and select task manager. Click on the startup tab. Please list all the enabled entries.

swarfega, Mar 9, 2017
  15. Trapper Win User
    Correct.

Youv'e put that much clearer than I did *Wink. I have selected the drive letters so I know which is which when I come to backup swaps and do not want to get out of sync.

I have yet to try another USB drive connected to the original M lead connected to the original USB port at the rear of the PC.

This morning I booted with only the M drive connected to the original M lead connected to the original USB port at the rear of the PC. this returned a start up time of 1.51min, excellent!
    Anyway I ran the CrystalMark on the M drive as above, result showed as below:

I then connected the M drive to a front USB port and connected with the lead from my WD Passport J drive. then ran CrystalMark again, result showed as below:

No idea what the above means, sorry....
    Blows my theory about the M drive causing the problem, with a startup today of 1.51min!!

Task Manager startup as below.

Thank you for your help.

Trapper, Mar 9, 2017
Thema:

1. 13 min to desktop, can anyone help speed it up? - Similar Threads - min desktop anyone

2. Can anyone help?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can anyone help?: So i was trying to resume bitlocker but there was an error called "wizard initialization failed" and then "Arithmetic calculation exceeded 32 bits." Im on windows 11 and have a 64bit cpu. Can anyone help?...
  3. can anyone help

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    can anyone help: i have the lenovo ideapad 3 laptop and its getting annoying i tried asking for help but it got me no where my laptop is out of memory when i delete stuff it doesnt work and when i try to reset it says there has been a problem there were no changes made and i am extremely...
  4. Can anyone help?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can anyone help?: Source Udk User Service Summary Stopped working Description Faulting Application Path: C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe Problem signature Problem Event Name: APPCRASH Application Name: svchost.exe_UdkUserSvc Application Version: 10.0.19041.546 Application Timestamp: 058e175a...
  5. Can anyone help?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can anyone help?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/BANANABUG4 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/iscgic/can_anyone_help/
  6. Can Anyone help?

Can Anyone help?: I just a an i7 surface pro 7, and today I open it an all my desktop icons are shrunken and any window I open up is super small, can anyone help? submitted by /u/Brockenbach_ [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/huswhf/can_anyone_help/
  7. Desktop looks like this,can anyone help

Desktop looks like this,can anyone help: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/BigpeepeeCactus [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hez0bf/desktop_looks_like_thiscan_anyone_help/
  8. Can anyone help with this?

Can anyone help with this?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/SpectrumX7 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/f5b6dy/can_anyone_help_with_this/
  9. Can anyone help?

Can anyone help?: submitted by /u/Jake_Sun [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/eywvvo/can_anyone_help/
  10. Anyone Can Help!

in Browsers and Email
    Anyone Can Help!: can someone do this for me got to chrome icon and right click>properties>change icon and copy paste what it says in the text box. thanks in advance 59505