Windows 10: 1511 - Can no longer remove video file properties

Discus and support 1511 - Can no longer remove video file properties in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; As per title. Since the 1511 update I can't remove file properties from any video file. It always says that the file is open in Windows Explorer...... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by elbeasto, Dec 3, 2015.

1. elbeasto Win User

1511 - Can no longer remove video file properties

As per title.
    Since the 1511 update I can't remove file properties from any video file.

It always says that the file is open in Windows Explorer... *really

:)

elbeasto, Dec 3, 2015
  2. Ian Ser Win User

Can No Longer Update File Properties With Creator's Update

We appreciate the update. We highly recommend to post this issue on our Feedback Hub app to let our developers know the impact of the new Creators Update to editing attributes for files. Simply press
    Windows key on your keyboard or click Start and then, type and click
    Feedback Hub to start about this.

We appreciate the feedback.

Ian Ser, Dec 3, 2015
  3. Crackshaw Win User
    Can No Longer Update File Properties With Creator's Update

I may have found the problem, My external hard drive is stuck in read-only after the update. Considering I have never touched this folder, I don't know why it would go into read-only mode.

EDIT: Also, I have tried using just the music library the computer comes with and same results. I used a non-updated computer and everything is working fine on there, it was also in read-only mode on that computer. For some reason, the external just isn't
    saving properties with the new update.

Crackshaw, Dec 3, 2015
  4. jds63 Win User

Explain further what you mean exactly by removing file properties from a video file.
    What app are you using to play these files ?

jds63, Dec 3, 2015
  5. elbeasto Win User
    It was saying: is open in Windows Explorer but now it's saying open in COM Surrogate.

1511 - Can no longer remove video file properties [​IMG]

1511 - Can no longer remove video file properties [​IMG]

elbeasto, Dec 3, 2015
  6. jds63 Win User
    Com surrogate is i believe a dll host file, check VLC player if it is running in Task Manager at the time or VLC settings.
    Saw same issue here on forum maybe an issue with new build or rare cases a virus i have seen to.
    https://www.tenforums.com/general-dis...surrogate.html

jds63, Dec 4, 2015
  7. elbeasto Win User
    I ended task of COM surrogate in Task Manager & now it says that the file is open in Windows Explorer.
    Seems to be a bug with 1511.

I'm really considering going back to Windows 7.
    It's just a better OS.

elbeasto, Dec 4, 2015
  8. jds63 Win User

I am not really familiar with Com Surrogates to say the reasons for this. Are you just trying to edit the file properties of this Video file ?
    That is your choice to go back i can not suggest what is best for you, Windows 7 is still a good OS.

File is associated with VLC from what i can see.

jds63, Dec 4, 2015
  9. jds63 Win User
  10. jds63 Win User
    jds63, Dec 4, 2015
  11. elbeasto Win User
    Thanks jds63.

I found a program called FileMindQuickFix which does the job until MS fixes it I suppose.

elbeasto, Dec 4, 2015
  12. jds63 Win User
    True since i have seen a few already here and on internet of this issue in Win 10. Seemed like VLC was keeping it open somehow. Do you have a backup software by any chance ? May be another way through File explorer think has to do with changing indexing of the file, by changing folder and search options . Your Welcome.

jds63, Dec 4, 2015
  13. elbeasto Win User

VLC definitely isn't running and I even tried changing the file association to the Windows Films & TV app - same problem. No backup software.
    A guy on the MS forums was saying that the problem was specific to a certain build number, I subbed to that thread.

*Smile

elbeasto, Dec 4, 2015
  14. jds63 Win User
    You do have latest build 10586.17 of Win 10 ? Type winver in your admin command prompt will let you know your build.

jds63, Dec 4, 2015
  15. elbeasto Win User
    Yep, Version 1511, build: 10586.17

elbeasto, Dec 4, 2015
Thema:

1. 1511 - Can no longer remove video file properties - Similar Threads - 1511 longer remove

2. Removing unwanted .wav file properties

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Removing unwanted .wav file properties: I went on line and asked how, the answers are all the same but don't apply somehow... again.I recently bought a car with a CD player and decided to burn a custom CD for it. What can I say... I'm old.I followed all the instructions.Here's the problem, when I drag and drop a...
  3. Removing unwanted .wav file properties

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Removing unwanted .wav file properties: I went on line and asked how, the answers are all the same but don't apply somehow... again.I recently bought a car with a CD player and decided to burn a custom CD for it. What can I say... I'm old.I followed all the instructions.Here's the problem, when I drag and drop a...
  4. Removing unwanted .wav file properties

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Properties can no longer be moved with the file.

in Windows 10 Support
    Properties can no longer be moved with the file.: Recently after my update to 21H1, I keep getting this "1 interrupted Action" information pop-up when I try to move a file from my desktop to another location on the hard drive or external USB. The same "1 interrupted action" pop-up occurs even when trying to use the copy and...
  6. Can not remove the "Read only property"

Can not remove the "Read only property": Today when I tried to modify tags in my music library, I found that it couldn't write the tags. So I checked the properties of it. Under the General tab the "read only " property had a tick in front. [ATTACH] I removed it and clicked on apply. [ATTACH] Then a new window...
  7. File Explorer No Longer Accessing Files' Comments Property

File Explorer No Longer Accessing Files' Comments Property: I have Windows 10, and File Explorer has suddenly stopped accessing the Comments property in any file. Worked fine before, but now the Comments field is blank and though it allows me to edit the field after Right-click Properties, the changes don't save. I can see and edit...
  8. Using "removing file properties" does not remove them.

Using "removing file properties" does not remove them.: Hello, Before updating to the 1083 build If I right clicked and removed image file properties, it would create a copy with just the size and pixel amount. Now when I attempt to remove properties, there is a copy created with my desktop info and file directory location still...
  9. How can I edit Properties of .mts video files in File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I edit Properties of .mts video files in File Explorer?: I am able to edit Properties of a .jpeg file while in File Explorer. I right click on a .jpeg file and am able to type information into some of the fields in the Details tab. When I try to do the same thing to a .mts video file, I can't get a cursor in any of the fields...
  10. Remove Win 10 1511 Upgrade File(s)?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Remove Win 10 1511 Upgrade File(s)?: Hello ALL: I remember when upgrading from Win 8.1 to 10, there were many GB of files that could be removed. Well, after my TechBench upgrade, my Image backup has grown by 11GB!!! Does anyone know where these unneeded files are? I would sure like to get my 11GB back! 29903