Windows 10: 1607 update fail - You can't install windows on a USB flash drive ....

Discus and support 1607 update fail - You can't install windows on a USB flash drive .... in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I am running WIN 10 on a desktop PC and as of Monday I had all the current release updates installed (Not an insider on this PC) Tuesday night I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by RileyCat, Aug 2, 2016.

1. RileyCat Win User

1607 update fail - You can't install windows on a USB flash drive ....

I am running WIN 10 on a desktop PC and as of Monday I had all the current release updates installed (Not an insider on this PC)

Tuesday night I used the "check for updates" and walked away.

This AM I had an error message. I selected the "Fix issue" radio button and got an error message "windows 10 couldn't be installed. You can't install windows on a USB flash drive using setup"

I have NO USB flash devices installed, only a USB mouse/keyboard.

1607 update fail - You can't install windows on a USB flash drive .... [​IMG]

1607 update fail - You can't install windows on a USB flash drive .... [​IMG]

:)

RileyCat, Aug 2, 2016
  2. 'Mike P Win User

1607 update fail - You can't install windows on a USB flash drive

That update is for the Windows 10 Mobile (OS Build 14393.2068) released on February 13, 2018.

If you run WinVer, do you have the same build number ?

'Mike P, Aug 2, 2016
  3. 1607 update fail - You can't install windows on a USB flash drive

Hi Lemuel,

Thank you! Setting the key back to 0 solved the issue.

Best regards,

Ivaylo.

IvayloLilovsky, Aug 2, 2016
  4. 1607 update fail - You can't install windows on a USB flash drive ....

Hope this helps found it on the net see below
    http://www.kapilarya.com/you-cant-in...ive-from-setup
    it would appear that the 1511 may have had a reset prob when removing usb drive not resetting registration flag, just used it on my win 10 1511 same problem as yourself, loaded ok, but apps not working, all the best .

maximustec, Aug 8, 2016
  5. Sjors Win User
    If that doesn't work, try this:
    If using a PC, in Regedit HKEY LOCAL MACHINES/System/Control change 'Portable Operating System' from '1' to '0'.

Sjors, Apr 13, 2017
  6. Joro Win User
    I was referred here from another forum (Windows Secrets Lounge). After trying almost everything else and nearly giving up, I tried this fix with version 1607 - and it worked.

Thank you.

Joro, Jun 4, 2017
  7. H0r4c3 Win User
    The solution worked for update to 1709 from 1607, too. Thanks!

H0r4c3, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1607 update fail - You can't install windows on a USB flash drive ....

1. 1607 update fail - You can't install windows on a USB flash drive .... - Similar Threads - 1607 update fail

2. Windows cant be installed on a usb flash drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows cant be installed on a usb flash drive: Hi, I installed windows 10 on a hdd that I found in a random dstv decoder, I used diskpart to clean it and all, and after some struggle I got it to run windows 10 home, but when I try to update It says, "windows cant be installed on a usb flash drive", its a 512gb hdd...
  3. Windows cant be installed on a usb flash drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows cant be installed on a usb flash drive: Hi, I installed windows 10 on a hdd that I found in a random dstv decoder, I used diskpart to clean it and all, and after some struggle I got it to run windows 10 home, but when I try to update It says, "windows cant be installed on a usb flash drive", its a 512gb hdd...
  4. Windows Setup fails with "You can't install Windows on a USB Flash Drive using Set-Up".

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Setup fails with "You can't install Windows on a USB Flash Drive using Set-Up".: ProblemWindows Setup failed with "You can't install Windows on a USB Flash Drive using Set-Up".See Screenshot 2, below.For Solution, see the next message in this thread... - Of 13th Jan 2022, by Sumit Dhiman-Windows Insider MVP 2018-2020 and Independent Advisor. - Many thanks...
  5. "This PC can't run Windows 10, You can't install Windows on a USB flash drive during setup"

"This PC can't run Windows 10, You can't install Windows on a USB flash drive during setup": Hi, I've been trying to get the Windows 10 May 2020 Update on my laptop specifications below, but I seem to get this error no matter what I try. The update doesn't show up in the "Check for updates" utility on the UWP control panel, and so I've tried using the upgrade tool...
  6. cannot do Windows 10 update due to "You can't install Windows on a USB flash drive using Setup"

cannot do Windows 10 update due to "You can't install Windows on a USB flash drive using Setup": I have been doing nearly all the Microsoft updates on my Windows 10 PC until recently when they failed to work (see 2nd image below), due to the pop up window stating "You can't install Windows on a USB flash drive using Setup" (see image below). I am not trying to install...
  7. Can't install up Windows on USB flash drive during setup

Can't install up Windows on USB flash drive during setup: I have Windows 1803 and it keeps urging me to upgrade. I installed the windows upgrade assistant. It downloads 1903, but then tells me it can't be installed on a USB flash drive. Thing is, I don't have a USB flash drive on the system. I have a SSD, but Windows can be...
  8. "You can't install Windows on a USB flash drive while using Set-up."

"You can't install Windows on a USB flash drive while using Set-up.": So, I'm trying to upgrade my windows 10 to the newest version but when I try I get the "You can't install Windows on a USB flash drive while using Set-up." error. The only external device I have plugged in is a hard drive with 84.3 GB of space available. My C: drive has 18 GB...
  9. Error You can't install Windows on USB drive

Error You can't install Windows on USB drive: I want to upgrade my Windows 10 1607 to 1809. When i finish download everything and start preparing it's stop and say You can't install Windows on USB drive. I want to upgrade/update it not install Windows 10 on USB drive. I already try using MediaCreationTool1809 and...
  10. YOU CANT INSTALL WINDOWS ON USB FLASH DRIVE , WHILE UPDATING 1809

YOU CANT INSTALL WINDOWS ON USB FLASH DRIVE , WHILE UPDATING 1809: yesterday I tried to upgrade from 1803 enterprize to 1809 by windows updater tool downloaded from Microsoft . after running the tool , 17763.1 .esd file is downloaded in C:\ but I could not able to update , its gave error 0xc1900201 and you cant Install windows...