Windows 10: 1607 WSUS server updates - possibly not working?

Discus and support 1607 WSUS server updates - possibly not working? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hey guys, Being the IT guy at work, I upgraded myself (actually did a fresh reinstall) to Windows 10 Enterprise build 1607. Hoping I could find any... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by drfsupercenter, Sep 13, 2016.

1. 1607 WSUS server updates - possibly not working?

Hey guys,

Being the IT guy at work, I upgraded myself (actually did a fresh reinstall) to Windows 10 Enterprise build 1607. Hoping I could find any potential problems before the rest of the company gets it - they're still on 1511.

We have a Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) server running on Server 2012 R2 that I have configured and essentially left alone for several months - it automatically approves "critical" and "security" updates, and the rest I have to approve/deny manually (like the version upgrades)

I've noticed that since installing the build a couple weeks ago, NO updates have been installed at all! And I tried to do them manually, it seems they get to 98% "downloading" and then just sit there for hours and nothing happens.

But what's stranger is that I don't see the "search online for updates" option that the other clients would show - which is how you know it's configured to connect to WSUS instead of Microsoft directly.

Here's what my Updates page looks like:

1607 WSUS server updates - possibly not working? [​IMG]

We also have, in the Group Policy settings, the auto-restart time as 3am and to install them automatically (the reverse of what I've seen others on this forum want to do)

As you can see here my update history is blank...

I've tried cleaning the update cache (by stopping the service and deleting the SoftwareDistribution folder) and that didn't help. Several reboots later and still no updates, they just get stuck at 98%.

Also:
    I notice this

Shouldn't that option be disabled by Group Policy if it's using the WSUS server like it should? I can try disabling it myself, but I'm curious why it's enabled in the first place.

So far everything else GPO-wise seems to be working (like the power settings, mapped drives and printers, etc) but it just does not want to download updates from our update server.

Is there maybe a WSUS update I need on the server? Under "WSUS" updates I don't see any besides the 13 I already approved months ago, but I remember in order to approve the 1511 update for clients I had to grab a .msu file from Microsoft, it wasn't automatic.

Edit: here's the GPO itself:

Using gpresult as both user and computer scope shows that the policy has been applied, so I'm at a loss here.

:)

drfsupercenter, Sep 13, 2016
  2. RMichels Win User

Anniversary 1607 update error 0xc1800118

We are still experiencing "Downloading Updates 0%" on all our updates (not just 1607), and have opened an incident with Microsoft.

In our case, the specific symptom includes an Event ID of 12072 in the Application Event Log of the WSUS server: "The WSUS content directory is not accessible. The remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Error." This event is generated by running
    C:\Program Files\Update Services\Tools\WsusUtil.exe checkhealth.

I will report back with any findings.

RMichels, Sep 13, 2016
  3. Anniversary 1607 update error 0xc1800118

After thinking that my first attempt of this went way too fast - specifically the re sync didn't take any time at all for the update to become available again.

I tried the steps again, except for the table cleanup, as that had already completed.

Instead of declining updates and removing via Powershell, I used the WSUS GUI to uncheck upgrades, then I declined all updates that had "version 1607".

Finally I used the WSUS server cleanup wizard to remove all unused, superseded, etc. This cleanup inferred that I had relieved several GB of storage on my server.

I then re-enabled the upgrades, re synced, approved the 1607 upgrade for my test group. Had to wait several hours for the upgrade finally become ready, so I know it had to re download at this point.

1607 is now installing on my test computers via WSUS.

KJohnsonCDA, Sep 13, 2016
  4. 1607 WSUS server updates - possibly not working?

You may benefit from looking at the following forum posts that I've been following because Win 10 1607 has a well-known issue with pulling updates from a WSUS server.

Windows 10 1607...any luck getting updates off WSUS? - Ars Technica OpenForum

Windows 10 ver 1607 having difficulty with getting updates from WSUS - Spiceworks - Page 6

I would also recommend looking for any other group policy that is setting the policy that removes access to Windows Update functions in the Computer section. I see that you have that disabled in the User section, but in the Administrative Templates\Network\Network Communication there is another policy that can remove the "search online for udpates" option.

ken2johnson, Dec 27, 2016
Thema:

1607 WSUS server updates - possibly not working?

1. 1607 WSUS server updates - possibly not working? - Similar Threads - 1607 WSUS server

2. WSUS Server

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WSUS Server: Hi, I have a WSUS server Windows server 2012 r2.Some of the client windows 10 machines are showing not yet reported status.What is the issue? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wsus-server/283df429-9d8c-4efb-8405-d2e1a83a1c1e
  3. WSUS Server

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WSUS Server: Hi, I have a WSUS server Windows server 2012 r2.Some of the client windows 10 machines are showing not yet reported status.What is the issue? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wsus-server/283df429-9d8c-4efb-8405-d2e1a83a1c1e
  4. WSUS server issue

in Windows 10 Customization
    WSUS server issue: In WSUS, we assigned a server to a specific group, and we can see it is in that group; however when I approved the updates to this group, all the other servers can detect the update except this server. But when I log in to the server, it could detect the update which has been...
  5. update downloaded with WSUS server but not install

in Windows 10 Customization
    update downloaded with WSUS server but not install: Hi I have a problem With WSUS server I approve Updates for Client Clients download updates but not automatic installing them What should I do to get clients to automatically install updates? [ATTACH]...
  6. WSUS server Cannot connect to 'server'

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    WSUS server Cannot connect to 'server': Hi , In my WSUS server after windows OS patch and reboot When trying to connect I get the error " Cannot connect to 'server' Please make sure the Post-Installation task is completed successfully in that server. If it was please verify if the server is using another port or...
  7. WSUS Backup Server

WSUS Backup Server: Hi Guys, One of my customer wants Secondary Server for WSUS Server Similar to Secondary ( Backup ) Active Directory in case of Failure. Consider a scenario : There are two WSUS Server on same network One is active and other is Redundant(Cold Spare or Backup). Widows...
  8. Wsus server consulting

Wsus server consulting: Hello, IT Microsoft expert I have some issue with a new Wsus standalone deployment, below info: Infraestructure: Windows Server 2016 patch last update. WSUS suceed latest Sync Database is completly cleanup Destination computers info Windows 7 Windows 10 LTSB...
  9. WSUS Client on Windows 1607 not seeing updates to 1803

WSUS Client on Windows 1607 not seeing updates to 1803: Hello, This is my first post here, well first ever post that I was not able to solve with searching. At my organization we have workstations and a WSUS server that is not connected to the internet. We have two machines that were able to receive the windows 1803 update....
  10. WSUS updates and defender definition updates problem with W10 LTBS 1607

WSUS updates and defender definition updates problem with W10 LTBS 1607: Hello, Environment A number of windows 10 PRO are running and WSUS properly provides updates for them. Recently a number of Dell 5070 WES clients with preinstalled W10 IOT (current version is W10 LTBS 1607 Enterprise edition) have been deployed. Settings for WSUS In...