Windows 10: 169 ip Address, media disconnected, invalid ethernet ip

Discus and support 169 ip Address, media disconnected, invalid ethernet ip in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Filezilla is a FTP client and is used for transferring files over a network. In your case, to transfer file(s) from your PC to the remote PC used to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Afrigreen, Mar 21, 2016.

1. topgundcp Win User

169 ip Address, media disconnected, invalid ethernet ip

Filezilla is a FTP client and is used for transferring files over a network. In your case, to transfer file(s) from your PC to the remote PC used to host your Website, the remote PC would have the FTP server running. In order to transfer your file(s), you must have a login ID & Password from the remote PC to establish the transfer. So FTP has nothing to do with Web Development.

In order to develop a web site locally, you'd need to set up your PC with a Web Server software. Once done with the development, you would use FileZilla to transer your work (web page(s), Images etc...) locally to the remote Web hosting server.

If you are using Windows 10 Pro (not sure if home version has this feature). You can turn on the Web Server Software from Programs and Features: Internet Information Services or you can download Apache Server from:Apache VC14 binaries and modules download

A simple way is to set up a web server using Apache so if you wish to setup a web server in your PC with Apache:
    • Download the zip file (select x86 or x64 depending on if your Windows 10 is running 32 or 64 bit) from the link above
    • Unzip and copy the folder Apache24 to the root of your C drive (C:\Apache24)
    • Since Apache is compiled with Visual C++ 2015). You'd need to install the Visual C++ Redistribution for Visual Studio 2015 download from here:
      Download Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 Update 1 from Official Microsoft Download Center
    • Navigate to: C:\Apache24\bin and double click on "httpd.exe" to run the web server or you can set up as a service: Open admin command and run: httpd.exe -k install
    • Next, Double click ApacheMonitor.exe, or put it in your Startup folder
    • Open the Web browser and type: localhost, hit <ENTER>. It should display the message: IT WORKS
      meaning your setup is successful

NOTE: The web page for the message above (IT WORKS) is in C:\Apache24\htdocs\index.html. This file is the starting point of your Home page. Now you can modify this file as your home page, adding additional folder(s), pages,links, images etc.... Once tested and done, you can upload your page(s) to the remote PC using Filezilla where they host your Website.

In addition, If you are using Firefox as your Web Browser, you can install an add-on called "FireFTP" and use it then you would not have to install FileZilla.

In summary. It does not matter what software you use to set up as the web server: IIS, Apache, Wamp etc... As long as you can develop your Web Site locally then use FileZilla to update your Website in the remote Server then you'll be fine.

topgundcp, Mar 21, 2016
  2. Afrigreen Win User

Thank you very much Logic Earth

My intention wasnt to offend you at all.

I understand what you are saying about my set-up. Does that now include that I am incapable of doing what Im trying to achieve? If so, what needs to change?

Thank you for your valuable time.

Afrigreen, Mar 21, 2016
  3. Afrigreen Win User
    Thank you so much for your reply. I am at this stage willing to try anything. I will do what you suggested and post the outcome on the forum. There has to be a way to create this site of mine the way I want to do it and be done with.

Afrigreen, Mar 21, 2016
  4. Wullail Win User

Your stuck , 169 addresses are because there is no DHCP server involved , without DHCP , there's no way for people to look up your IP address to connect to your web page..

Host your site elsewhere.

Wullail, Mar 21, 2016
  5. No router, No DCHP and a 169 address does not stop one from accessing the site. What people will use is the public IP provided to you by your ISP. Your internal private IPs are irrelevant.

logicearth, Mar 21, 2016
  6. Barman58 Win User
    Ok Are you using a website creation program or hand coding the individual webpages

if you are using the creation program most if not all will have a test site option which will create and operate a small local web-server to serve your site to you for testing.

If you are writing pages manually my method would be to create a folder on your system and name it to the name of your website we'll use afrigreen.com for ease of use. In the folder create your pages, starting with either Home.htm or Index.htm, and then all the sub pages. yon may wish to create folders for graphic elements and others for code but that depends on your needs.

To test the site simply double click on the Home.htm or index.htm and your site should open in your browser for testing. When you are happy you just use filezilla or similar to upload the contents of afrigreen.com to your Hosting site in the US

The 169 ip is just a placeholder used by windows when they cannot find a valid DHCP server, check your internet settings

Barman58, Mar 21, 2016
  7. Barman58 Win User
    192.168.xxx.xxx is actually one of a number of Reserved local IP address Ranges , 169.254.xxx.xxx Is a standard fall-back address used when there is no DHCP server running or it's inaccessible

Both ranges will not be forwarded by internet devices, which means that if they should be misdirected by the local router the data they carry will be discarded.

If anyone is interested in researching this more deeply there is an explanation here ... Reserved IP addresses - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Barman58, Mar 21, 2016
  8. Afrigreen Win User

Dear LogicEarth

Im gonna say this again, I am truely not educated in this. Because of my ignorance and lack of knowledge I might be asking the wrong questions. So when I actually ask a question I get the 'wrong' answer. I do not believe that my situation is all that difficult .

I also believe that it is squarely on my shoulders that Im wasting your time, for instance. This is my problem:

I am part of a small business that I run from home. I was asked to do the layout of the Website - which we had (http://www.events.com)- but looked bad. The website was hosted on a server somewhere in the USA.

Now, this man requested me to download and install Wordpress.org locally, do the site as I wish and he will take over and run it on his server. Great I did that with difficulty. First, I had to download a Website Platform which includes MySQL. I started 'working' the site and couldnt get back in with what was saved as localhost @@@@. (I did a site layout before on Wordpress.com - easy). I started up Wordpress again and it took me back to installation. I re-read the instructions - as saw me @@@ without a mirror. Hence my questions.

When I started searching for help I got even more confused. ip addresses and such. The mistake I am making and confused about is this:

When I run install for WP - it creates a wp database and user with password.
    Then the instructions says 'using MYPHP or MYSQL or whatever. Creat a User and give it privileges and then create a database.

I did that. Then instruction says you need ftp and stuff. So I downloaded Fox, FileZilla and FileServer.

Then I got lost. I lost it with database names, usernames and such. When I first tried to connect with FileZilla told me bout broken pipe and sockets.

I think my actual problem lies in my database names and my url. I do not understand if my url is suppose to say 'www..com' or http://www.localhost..com or without the whatever. I dont even know where to change it cept on general settings in wp. Even so, as soon as I log out I cant log back in with Localhost@@@.

Can you PLEASE help me? Im such an idiot already. It really cant be such a big issue. I believe its just me.

Amelda

Afrigreen, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. 169 ip Address, media disconnected, invalid ethernet ip - Similar Threads - 169 Address media

2. Invalid IP address

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Invalid IP address: I’m getting message Local Area Network doesn’t have valid IP address. I’m on Win-7. Can someone give step by step instructions? I have found several suggestions but I’m not sure which to try and I don’t want to mess it up. Can you help? Thanks....
  3. Invalid IP address

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Invalid IP address: I’m getting message Local Area Network doesn’t have valid IP address. I’m on Win-7. Can someone give step by step instructions? I have found several suggestions but I’m not sure which to try and I don’t want to mess it up. Can you help? Thanks....
  4. Ip invalid

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Ip invalid: So im staying in a extended stay for work and the wifi isnt the best here but i have a wifi extender and it was working just fine now all of a sudden my ether net will not work but my wifi will all i get from my ether net is a invalid ip add and i have already done tye...
  5. What is 169 IP address? How to fix 169 IP address error?

in Windows 10 News
    What is 169 IP address? How to fix 169 IP address error?: [ATTACH]Internet is a basic human right and its lack can disrupt your daily life. […] This article What is 169 IP address? How to fix 169 IP address error? first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  6. Invalid IP address starting with 169

Invalid IP address starting with 169: Hi, I am not getting internet access on my pc through ethernet but i can get it through wifi. On running the windows troubleshooter, it says that the IP address is invalid. So i tried following some youtube videos but it didnt help. The IP address star with 169. I have to...
  7. No IP address for Ethernet connection

No IP address for Ethernet connection: I recently bought a Netgear router. The Ethernet connection on the computer is not recognized because it does not have an IP address. How can I fix that?...
  8. WiFi2 invalid ip address

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    WiFi2 invalid ip address: Internet access requires a cmd prompt to open each time l restart laptop. I've tried netsh winsock, which works but has to be entered each time l restart. l've also done network reset and updated drivers and adaptors. Anymore ideas??...
  9. WiFi2 invalid ip address

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    WiFi2 invalid ip address: Each time l start or restart my laptop l have to use the command promt netsh winsock and netsh int ip reset to access wifi. Is there a link to a permanent fix for this issue. All windows updates are up to date....
  10. Unidentified Network, ip configuration is invalid, 169 IP address

Unidentified Network, ip configuration is invalid, 169 IP address: I cant connect to the internet i tried everything online nothing works help!!! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/unidentified-network-ip-configuration-is-invalid/55cb42e1-df20-449c-8f48-7d18bd9dbb8e