Windows 10: $17 way of migrating to SSD and more...

Discus and support $17 way of migrating to SSD and more... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I stumbled upon this Startech Portable Dock/Cloner/Duplicator on Bestbuy.ca for only over $16. Startech Portable SATA Hard Drive Duplicator With... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by badrobot, Sep 20, 2014.

1. badrobot Win User

$17 way of migrating to SSD and more...

I stumbled upon this Startech Portable Dock/Cloner/Duplicator on Bestbuy.ca for only over $16.

Startech Portable SATA Hard Drive Duplicator With eSATA and USB (SATDUPUE) : Storage Accessories - Best Buy Canada

Other sites are selling it for a higher price up to more than twice this price. So to satisfy my curiosity, I purchased one. If it doesn't work, I can always return it back to the store anyway.
    But after testing it to clone a Mac OSX and Windows OS (standalone without a help of a PC), this is now a keeper. It gave a smooth boot up on any OS. This will become handy in the future like perhaps copying a dying drive or just a test dock for an OS (boot up via eSATA port on it). It also has USB port. Very versatile little thing.

way of migrating to SSD and more... [​IMG]

:)

badrobot, Sep 20, 2014

2. Windows 10 migration

To migrate Windows 10 from HDD to SSD, here are many different ways. But here I would like to introduce the most simple method, that is using a software AOMEI Backupper, and you can

migrate Windows 10 to SSD
    with a few steps. with this way, you need to prepare an SSD which is enough to store the system files before.

DemonBradsahw, Sep 20, 2014
  3. From one hard drive to another

Try AOMEI Backupper Standard, a freeware. It has a feature called System Clone, which will clone OS to SSD. it will check if the ssd has enough space for the clone. As long as your ssd have enough space for the data on the
    system drive(C: drive), it will successfully clone your OS to your ssd. more detials:

Freeware to Migrate Windows 10/8/7 OS to SSD/HDD without Reinstalling

Youngwarlord, Sep 20, 2014
  4. theog Win User

theog, Sep 20, 2014
  5. badrobot Win User
    badrobot, Sep 20, 2014
  6. BunnyJ New Member
    I like that.. may get one!
    *Smile

BunnyJ, Sep 20, 2014
  7. badrobot Win User
    Btw, before diving in to get one I must also let you know that like all other standalone duplicator/cloning docks, when cloning with this device, the destination drive must be equal or greater than the capacity of the source drive. On my photo above, I am cloning from a clean install backups on 80GB drives (got those drives for $15 each from local store). So, direct (no PC) cloning may not work with everyone. But it can be used as a dock to migrate to SSD using a PC with software that supports cloning from bigger capacity hard drives to smaller capacity hard drives like Free Macrium Reflect or Paragon MigrateOS software.

badrobot, Sep 20, 2014
  8. labeeman Win User

Here is a link for the Manual

labeeman, Sep 20, 2014
  9. badrobot Win User
    Thanks. The device came with a printed manual with the same exact content. *Smile

badrobot, Sep 20, 2014
  10. WHS
    whs Win User
    I wonder how that works with SSDs - concerning the alignment.

11. labeeman Win User
    You are welcome. Most of the time it is better to look over the manual before purchase. Some times the manufacture does not make the manual available I do not purchase those items because of that practice.

labeeman, Sep 20, 2014
  12. labeeman Win User
    I do like a PDF manual some times the paper one is lost or of such fine print that you need a magnifier to read it.

labeeman, Sep 20, 2014
  13. badrobot Win User

It's not mentioned but I did a post-cloning alignment with MiniTool Partition Wizard Pro and there's a pop-up message saying that the SSD is already aligned.

badrobot, Sep 20, 2014
  14. badrobot Win User

Not a problem for me. I keep all my manuals and warranty on those IKEA black boxes on top of my PC. *Smile
    But yours is not a bad idea.

badrobot, Sep 20, 2014
  15. strollin Win User
    I'm not sure when I'd ever use this device since I would always have a computer handy when trying to clone a drive so wouldn't have much use for it. I can't imagine ever needing to clone a drive on a stand alone basis.

As far as partition alignment, it wouldn't work any different than any other time you cloned a drive, regardless of the method. I've cloned a half dozen hdds to ssds and always checked the alignment afterwards, the alignment has always been fine with no re-alignment needed.

strollin, Sep 21, 2014
Thema:

1. $17 way of migrating to SSD and more... - Similar Threads - $17 migrating SSD

2. Migrating to SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Migrating to SSD: Hi, I have an old notebook in which I want to add an m.2 SSD256gb and run a dual memoryHDD with 1TB. I searched online and I learnt that It should work. The problem is that I one to install only W10 and some programs on the SSD, while I want to keep the other things on the...
  3. Migrating to SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Migrating to SSD: Hi, I have an old notebook in which I want to add an m.2 SSD256gb and run a dual memoryHDD with 1TB. I searched online and I learnt that It should work. The problem is that I one to install only W10 and some programs on the SSD, while I want to keep the other things on the...
  4. Migrating to SSD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Migrate W10 to SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Migrate W10 to SSD: Dear Sir/MadamHelloCurrently I have two HDD Drives W10 installed on one of them , the second one System image stored on it,Soon I will get another two SSD Drives "SATA or M2" , The question is how to connect both SSD Drives and HDD drives so I can restore system image to a...
  6. migrating windows to ssd

migrating windows to ssd: Hello! My system fulfills all the requirements for Windows 11 upgrade, but I am planning to migrate my windows 10 to a newly installed SSD, will it affect the windows upgrade?...
  7. Migrating to new SSD?

Migrating to new SSD?: I created an image of the old SSD with macrium Reflect and restored it to the new SSD. However the PC won't boot even if that's the only SSD I have installed. In Diskmanagement Events I can see: "Device settings for SCSI\Disk&Ven_NVMe&Prod_Samsung_SSD_970\5&bbc8c1b&0&000000...
  8. Migrating to SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Migrating to SSD: So, my computer came with a hard disk and I've recently bought an SSD. I downloaded Windows 10 onto a flash drive so I can use it as a boot drive, so what do I do to get my SSD set up properly and migrate the data from my hard drive over? I ask because of the prompts with...
  9. Is there any possible way to migrate JUST my OS to an SSD?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there any possible way to migrate JUST my OS to an SSD?: A while back I had some issues with my pc. It's a long story, but I needed to do a clean install of windows, which ended up on my hard drive rather than my SSD. My pc has been running fine since then, but I wanted to move my OS back to my SSD. The only issue is, the only...
  10. Migration to an SSD

Migration to an SSD: I moved the Windows 10 installation of my mother's PC from a hard drive to a SSD using DriveImageXML drive2drive feature with Windows running. I copied the boot system partition and the Windows partition (C*Smile then booted with the new system partition. But even if I booted...