Windows 10: 1703 Update Adds a Recovery Partition

Discus and support 1703 Update Adds a Recovery Partition in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have two computers, an HP desktop and a Dell laptop with the Broadcom 440x adapter. Both systems were built from the ground up 1607 iso. Both had a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by rcallen1942, Aug 13, 2017.

1. 1703 Update Adds a Recovery Partition

I have two computers, an HP desktop and a Dell laptop with the Broadcom 440x adapter. Both systems were built from the ground up 1607 iso. Both had a 500MB System Reserved partition with the balance of space assigned to the C: disk. Following the 1703 upgrade to my HP there were still the two partitions same as before the upgrade. In the last few days the 1703 upgrade became available for the Dell and it contained the Broadcom 440x fix. Upon inspecting my disk partitions after the upgrade I see that the C: disk is reduced in size and there is an additional 851MB recover partition. What gives, why does this recovery partition show up?

:)

rcallen1942, Aug 13, 2017
  2. lacrumb Win User

disk partition in windows 10

This is a recovery partition that Windows adds in for recovery.

lacrumb, Aug 13, 2017
  3. MeSo2 Win User
    Windows 7 Backup skipped backing up system image because one of the critical volumes cannot be included for backup. Check that volume is online and is formatted NTFS.

"My Recovery Partition is missing." I do not have a partition that is marked "Recovery".

Do I need a Recovery partition for "Backup Windows 7" to work? Yes / No?

---------------------

Background: This is what my disk partition use to look like after an update to Windows 10 (1703) that turned my D: drive into a RAW filesystem. I was not able to recover my D: drive --

here is the link to my post.

I use to have a "Recovery" partition (partition #1) and "Backup Windows 7" used to work.

1703 Update Adds a Recovery Partition [​IMG]

--------------------

But now my partitions look like this and I can't use backup any more.

1703 Update Adds a Recovery Partition [​IMG]

Please, what do I need to do to have Backup work again?

Thank you.

MeSo2, Aug 13, 2017
  4. Tony K Win User

1703 Update Adds a Recovery Partition

@rcallen1942

Hi there, rcallen1942. Welcome to Windows TenForums.

Since you stated "there is an additional 851MB recover partition", I'll assume this is a 2nd partition Windows created during the upgrade process. This happens at times for unknown reasons. The old one can be deleted and merged into your C: partition.

We'll need to know where that partition is. Please post a screenshot of your Disk Management: Disk Management - How to Post a Screenshot of Windows 10 General Tips Tutorials

To find the reserved partition that is active so not to delete it > Press the Windows key > Type in > command prompt > When it appears right mouse click it > Choose “Run as Administrator”.

When that opens > Type (or copy/paste) > reagentc /info

When it’s finished > Press Ctrl/A simultaneously > Press Ctrl/C simultaneously > Go to the post box here > Activate the post box with left mouse click > Press Ctrl/V simultaneously. Press Alt/S simultaneously.

After we look at these we can proceed to merge it.

Tony K, Aug 13, 2017
  5. DavidY Win User
    The Recovery Partition issue might not be linked to the Broadcom 440x driver issue.
    I think (from posts I've seen from other Forum members) that you're not the only one to see unexpected extra recovery partitions. It may be better starting a new thread on it?

Edit: Cross post with HippsieGypsie. But I still think it might be better in its own thread.

DavidY, Aug 13, 2017
  6. Let me be clear. Both systems started with a reserved partition and a C: drive, nothing else. After updating my HP desktop, I had one reserved partition and a C: drive, nothing else. After updating my Dell laptop, I had one reserved partition, a C: drive, AND a recovery partition. Based on my experience with the HP desktop, the recovery partition on the Dell should not exist! I know the Broadcom 440x is not relevant to this difference. I would like MS to explain why I am seeing two different end results.

rcallen1942, Aug 14, 2017
  7. Tony K Win User
    Ok I see. The reserved partition, which is always first is the BIOS/UEFI partition depending on the scheme. So far as I know Windows always makes a recovery partition, which is on the end. Why it didn't make one for the HP is actually the fluke.

Tony K, Aug 14, 2017
  8. AddRAM Win User

I just delete it and the windows.old folder and then create an image. The CU has been working perfectly since I installed it a little over 2 weeks now. *Smile

I created an image just before too.

I do Legacy installs so my layout looks like this. I also create an install partition so I do not end up with a SR partition, don`t want one, never needed one.

AddRAM, Aug 14, 2017
  9. I don't believe the HP case is the fluke, but rather the Dell case. Both systems were created originally on a blank disk with no partitions defined. I have built other systems (Windows 7) the same way and have never seen anything other than System Reserved partition and C: disk partition. I think there is something peculiar about the 1703 update as it pertains to the Dell. How about it Microsoft?

rcallen1942, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. 1703 Update Adds a Recovery Partition - Similar Threads - 1703 Update Adds

2. Recovery partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recovery partition: Hi, I want to see what's inside this partition.And can I format it like with the Windows 11 installation media?How can I explore this partition? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recovery-partition/69a1d18e-cc4c-40cd-a22d-4304ded8c1ff
  3. Recovery partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recovery partition: Hi, I want to see what's inside this partition.And can I format it like with the Windows 11 installation media?How can I explore this partition? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recovery-partition/69a1d18e-cc4c-40cd-a22d-4304ded8c1ff
  4. Recovery partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Recovery partition: Hi all, After recent Windows updates my disk0 C: has now only 16GB of space. disk1 D: has 850 GB. Is there a way to move some of this from D: to C: ?? Thanks John https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recovery-partition/8efef761-2f1d-49e8-85a6-3e4b4fade16f
  5. Recovery Partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Recovery Partition: Please read through to the bottom. I have 2 questions there. This is in relation to comments on threads https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unused-11gb-recovery-partition/24a7cbbe-960a-490f-b916-e07eba32281e and...
  6. recovery partition

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    recovery partition: A friend asked this and I didn't have an answer, mainly because I use Macrium reflect and image the whole drive. He was playing around with an Acer Desktop and deleted the recovery partition. His only other computer is an Hp laptop. Both latest Win 10 versions. The Laptop has...
  7. add recovery on hard disk partition win10-64

add recovery on hard disk partition win10-64: how to add recovery on hard disk partition win10-64 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/add-recovery-on-hard-disk-partition-win10-64/cef5b5b1-dc4f-4561-8470-c996a10bd87e
  8. recovery partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    recovery partition: My hp laptop suddenly threw up a twirling recovering disc image. Now many of my apps like Edge and others don't work. When I look at disc management I see my C drive has a recovery partition. How do I make use of this?...
  9. Add recovery partition into C drive

Add recovery partition into C drive: I just deleted the content (through the recovery software) of the recovery partition (D drive) in my laptop which had an older OS in it. I would like to add the space in this partition into the C drive, basically eliminating this recovery partition and expanding C the amount...
  10. Add Recovery Partition to Windows 10 Boot Menu?

Add Recovery Partition to Windows 10 Boot Menu?: If I assign a drive letter to my recovery partition, can I then also create a boot menu entry for that partition? Macrium is perfectly happy to create and assign space for its recovery partition, and create a BCD entry for same so it shows up on the boot menu. That's got me...