Windows 10: 1709 now installing driver updates (nvidia) even though it is disabled

Discus and support 1709 now installing driver updates (nvidia) even though it is disabled in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Windows update updated my Nvidia driver even though I have "Do you want to auomatically download manufacturers' apps and custom icons available for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Geneo, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Geneo Win User

1709 now installing driver updates (nvidia) even though it is disabled

Windows update updated my Nvidia driver even though I have "Do you want to auomatically download manufacturers' apps and custom icons available for your devices" Set to No.

I have been on Windows 10 since before it was officially released and this is the first time Window's has updated any of my device drivers.

Is this a policy change or is there some new way to disable driver updates or is this a bug or what? Completley unacceptable to me.

:)

Geneo, Nov 17, 2017

2. After downloading to windows 10 1703 due to graphics problems with 1709, hidden update keeps coming back every day.

I couldn't resolve a problem with 1709 where Nvidia drivers wouldn't install. Solution was to downgrade to 1703 until Nvidia or MS fixes the problem. After downgrading to 1703 and hiding the 1709 update, everything woked fine. Then 24 hours later, MS
    added the update again and it started to upload. I shut off the PC immediately. So the problem is that MS keeps adding the update even though I hide it.. This reminds me of the forced update for windows 10 when it was "free". MS needs to stop forcing the
    update to 1709. How do we do that? More importantly, now that 1709 has started to load, can I abort it some how?

MarkRowland1954, Nov 17, 2017
  3. Driver-irql-not-less-or-equal BSOD

so i disabled Microsoft updates and then cleaned my pc of nvidia drivers using guru3d. I then installed the latest nvidia driver and still get the crashes even with disabling the Microsoft updates which
    should stop the download of the video driver.

jackcasson, Nov 17, 2017
  4. 1709 now installing driver updates (nvidia) even though it is disabled

Hi Geneo.

I think you have to defeat this in two places, one you mentioned is Windows, the other is in GeForce experience. Likely the whole package was updated with the move to 1709 and GeForce has this option turned on.

I agree, vendors shouldn't default to update but I think this time is Nvidia.

Please post back your findings.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Nov 17, 2017
  5. Geneo Win User
    I am not using geforce experience (I don't even download it - all that is installed is the graphics driver, HD audio driver and PhysX).

Geneo, Nov 17, 2017
  6. Helmut Win User
    That dialogue does not work, not on mine anyway, for 4 years thru Win 8.1 as well as Win 10.
    Mine is now set to Yes as the No does not seem to work.

To me it does not matter, all drivers are good and working with no effort.

Helmut, Nov 17, 2017
  7. I found this article and this is what I used in V1703. It worked as my Wi-Fi card requires an ancient driver and I know there were current updates, I get the most recent one every major update, like V1709.

https://www.howtogeek.com/302595/how...dware-drivers/

In the article quite a ways down there is a link labelled “Disable Automatic Driver Updates Hacks”
    This downloads a zip file with two registry hacks. Read the paragraph above the link.

8. Geneo Win User

Thanks, forgot about the group policy configuration. Can't remember if I had that enabled or not - maybe that got reset with 1709. I enabled it and will see what happens.

Helmut - not everyone is so lucky with nvidia drivers. But thanks.

Geneo, Nov 17, 2017
  9. I had to get rid of that NVIDA driver update. It doesn't play well with FireFox 57 and Google Maps. I was getting a BLACK screen when trying to display Google Maps. But oddly enough, that driver didn't bother FireFox NIGHTLY. It worked fine there ?

storageman, Nov 17, 2017
  10. I also got one of those forced updates since I guess after FCU Win10 reset my config and what you told about "Do you want to automatically download manufacturers' apps and custom icons available for your devices" Set to No." was set to yes to me again against my will *Mad

I got there and changed to NO again as it was, restarted my PC but Windows update is still showing it for download! I'm saved since I'm using the metered connection option so the download will just start if I click it but I really prefer to update video drivers when I want to so can I use this guide to hide it?

Hide or Show Windows Updates in Windows 10 Windows Update Activation Tutorials

I ask cause the wushowhide.diagcab (KB3073930) is old and I'm using 1709 FCU so since I'm a wuss I would like to know if I will have any compat problems *Smile

Needhelpwithwin, Nov 17, 2017
  11. Brink does an amazing job at keeping tutorials current. If it is posted I'm very sure it works.

Ken

12. Yeah thanks man it worked! Also thank you @Brink too *Smile There is this regedit ways to fix it but I prefer to leave this advanced things for when there is no other way! Who knows if just a little thing can break a windows update or something since well Win10 sometimes sucks hahaha

Needhelpwithwin, Nov 17, 2017
  13. 1709 now installing driver updates (nvidia) even though it is disabled

If you put an @ symbol in front of a users name it will send them a notification that they have been mentioned in a post.

14. Living and learning *Smile Thanks again kind sir I did what you just taught me!

Needhelpwithwin, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. 1709 now installing driver updates (nvidia) even though it is disabled - Similar Threads - 1709 installing driver

2. VBS stays on, even though it is disabled.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    VBS stays on, even though it is disabled.: Recently I noticed that VBS was running even though it was turned off.System information confirmed this as its showing VBS as "running"Windows security settings show that its off, turning it on, rebooting, turning it off again, rebooting, does not fix it.The only way I can...
  3. VBS stays on, even though it is disabled.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    VBS stays on, even though it is disabled.: Recently I noticed that VBS was running even though it was turned off.System information confirmed this as its showing VBS as "running"Windows security settings show that its off, turning it on, rebooting, turning it off again, rebooting, does not fix it.The only way I can...
  4. Windows Update keeps installing an obsolete driver, even though the current driver may be...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update keeps installing an obsolete driver, even though the current driver may be...: Some time ago I raised the issue described below, but so far Windows updates do not seem to have resolved it: I keep seeing daily error messages in Windows 10 Update saying it is trying to install a driver update when the current driver is probably better than the one it...
  5. Auto update even though I have disabled it

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Auto update even though I have disabled it: Hi, today my Windows 10 Pro auto-installed the following update: KB4592449. This never happened before, because I have set (Group Policy) Windows updates to "2 - notify for download and auto install". So far I've always decided when to download and install Windows updates....
  6. Can't install/update nvidia drivers

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't install/update nvidia drivers: Hello, so i own an Asus scar II gaming laptop i7 8750H 32gb ram 2070 rtx, been 2 years i got this bad boy and today i can't update nvidia driver, i used ddu, doesn't work, tried no failure mode doesn't work, i tried nvidia cleanstall doesn't work, so i went as far as entirely...
  7. nVidia driver not installing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    nVidia driver not installing: Hi, I am new in this forum. I have just registered because I am trying to work out a problem and need some help. I have recently re-installed my PC completely. It is now running on 64bit Windows 10, version 1909 (Build 18363.535). The PC includes an nVidia card GeForce GTX...
  8. Wanted to reinstall NVIDIA Drivers, but now no Driver-installer works

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Wanted to reinstall NVIDIA Drivers, but now no Driver-installer works: Hey I had an Issue with my Monitor losing the signal to my still functioning and working pc while playing games, so I thought reinstalling my drivers could solve the issue . I deinstalled my Graphics Drivers trough the device manager, but Now I cant install the driver again....
  9. Disable driver update regedit - 1709 Fall Creators Update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disable driver update regedit - 1709 Fall Creators Update: Hello How to turn off driver update via regedit ? os windows 10 fall creatros update 1709 Thank you 99435
  10. Trying to install Windows 10 1709 even though I have it

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Trying to install Windows 10 1709 even though I have it: So guys I installed KB4093105 via the standalone installer and made English(US) the only language and guess what!!!! [img] It worked thank you so much Special thanks to you ----- You are welcome.

Users found this page by searching for:

1. driver updates perform even though disabled