Windows 10: 1803 Update Fails and stops PC working completely

Discus and support 1803 Update Fails and stops PC working completely in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; The 1803 update I had in May 2018 goes through a number of reboots, then goes to the log on screen. This is an old version of the default log on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by GrahamHague, Jul 16, 2018.

1. 1803 Update Fails and stops PC working completely

The 1803 update I had in May 2018 goes through a number of reboots, then goes to the log on screen. This is an old version of the default log on screen, and it will not accept my password. Not the current one, nor the previous two passwords. If I click "Forgot Password", it displays a blue screen "Please Wait" before once more displaying the log on screen which won't accept my password. I have to press the tiny "Reset" button on my tower, when I get a message "Restoring Your previous version of Windows", and eventually the "normal" log in screen appears, and I can log in with my current password. But I then get a message that an update is pending, and I get additional "update and shut down" options in the shutdown tab. I did disable automatic updates in the control panel, but this seems to disable other stuff such as Windows Store, Back Up, Defender etc. Any suggestions to fix this issue would be gratefully welcome!

:)

GrahamHague, Jul 16, 2018
  2. 3Colors Win User

Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond 1803 Update Fails and stops PC working completely :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Jul 16, 2018
  3. Windows 10 fails to update

When you finish testing the Avast suggestion, make sure that you restart your machine.

Then if the issue persists, please return to the trouble shooting list in post# 89

I think there are three steps that remain; the WU troubleshooter, reset WU components, and manual WU reset.

Slartybart, Jul 16, 2018
  4. chideock Win User

1803 Update Fails and stops PC working completely

KB4025339 Fails Install 0x80070564

Thanks
    I am trying Eagle 51's suggestions now. Windows Update troubleshooter found a bunch of errors and fixed all but one.The update is trying to download KB4025339 again. I'll see what happens. At step one troubleshooter finishes with one error unresolved "Potential Windows Update Database Error Detected-Not Fixed". Windows update stalled at 0%.

At step 2 same troubleshooter error. The KB finished a new download failed to install.
    Did step 3 KB has downloaded but fails to install.

If Eagle's suggestion doesn't work I'll try EdTittel's suggestion

Tried bothe Eagle & Ed 's suggestions - do not work. Anyone else?

I have noticed that the latest update for my nvidia drivers has failed to update. Wondering about that!

chideock, Jul 16, 2018
Thema:

1803 Update Fails and stops PC working completely

1. 1803 Update Fails and stops PC working completely - Similar Threads - 1803 Update Fails

2. Updates completely stopped working.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Updates completely stopped working.: After AI installed on my computer Updates completely stopped working. Cannot get History. Troubleshooter cannot find the issue.* Changed to a question https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/updates-completely-stopped-working/8874ea56-49f9-42e0-be4e-c2004cfcac01
  3. Updates completely stopped working.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Updates completely stopped working.: After AI installed on my computer Updates completely stopped working. Cannot get History. Troubleshooter cannot find the issue. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/updates-completely-stopped-working/8874ea56-49f9-42e0-be4e-c2004cfcac01
  4. Updates completely stopped working.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Updates completely stopped working.: After AI installed on my computer Updates completely stopped working. Cannot get History. Troubleshooter cannot find the issue. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/updates-completely-stopped-working/8874ea56-49f9-42e0-be4e-c2004cfcac01
  5. Updates completely stopped working.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. Windows update completely stopping my pc working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows update completely stopping my pc working: I have a z270i micro itx motherboard with a i5 7600k processor amd a Gtx 1660ti msi Gpu. I've never had so many issues getting it to work. Only an early gpu driver works with this gpu. But Microsoft updates keep overwriting my driver causing computer to fail. I have no screen...
  7. Windows update completely stopping my pc working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows update completely stopping my pc working: I have a z270i micro itx motherboard with a i5 7600k processor amd a Gtx 1660ti msi Gpu. I've never had so many issues getting it to work. Only an early gpu driver works with this gpu. But Microsoft updates keep overwriting my driver causing computer to fail. I have no screen...
  8. Windows update completely stopping my pc working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  9. Bluetooth on PC completely stopped working.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bluetooth on PC completely stopped working.: Title says it all really. Some further details;-The switch to turn bluetooth on is literally *gone*. As in, just not there. -On the 'Other Devices' section in the bluetooth settings page, as well as in device manager, IntelR Wireless BluetoothR continuously disappears and...
  10. Bluetooth on PC completely stopped working.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bluetooth on PC completely stopped working.: Title says it all really. Some further details;-The switch to turn bluetooth on is literally *gone*. As in, just not there. -On the 'Other Devices' section in the bluetooth settings page, as well as in device manager, IntelR Wireless BluetoothR continuously disappears and...