Windows 10: 1803 Update makes Chrome browser show blank window

Discus and support 1803 Update makes Chrome browser show blank window in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; My Windows 10 April 2018 (1803) update rolled out yesterday and since then I can't use Google Chrome browser. It opens but only shows a blank window... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Fonebone, May 28, 2018.

1. Fonebone Win User

1803 Update makes Chrome browser show blank window

My Windows 10 April 2018 (1803) update rolled out yesterday and since then I can't use Google Chrome browser. It opens but only shows a blank window with nothing but the minimize, restore, and close buttons, as well as the status bar at the bottom. Initially the blank part is white, but when I minimize and restore it, the outer parts of the window turn black. The status bar says that it's loading my usual home screen websites, and when I hover my mouse pointer over the usual location of the address/search bar, links, and plug-in buttons, I get the normal response, e.g., the pointer changes to the text-input cursor over the address/search bar (where it should be, though I can't see it), the status bar shows the link URLs when I'm over hyperlinks, and I get tool tips when I'm over the plug-in buttons. When I click on hyperlinks the status bar shows that they're being loaded. I also discovered if I click on and type into the address/search bar I can temporarily see it and what I'm typing along with search suggestions, but as soon as I hit enter it all goes blank again.

Any clue what's going on? Microsoft's browsers work and so far I haven't found any other affected applications. It's as if the update selectively broke the window manager or window rendering just for Chrome.

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Computer brand: Equus Nobilis
    Pentium Dual-core CPU E5400 @ 2.70 GHz
    4 GB RAM
    Display adapter: Intel Q45/Q43 Express Chipset

:)

Fonebone, May 28, 2018

2. Issues with making chrome as default browser on Windows 10.

Hi Richard,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with Windows 10. I will certainly help you.

This issue might occur if there is change in system settings or default browser program is change correctly.

I suggest you to follow the steps to change the default browser as Chrome browser and check if it helps.

1. Type "Control Panel" without the quotes in search box and click on it.

2. Click on Programs.

3. Then click on Default Programs and click on
    Set Default Programs

4. Click on chrome browser from the list.

5. Click on Set this program as default.

Please get back to us with an update on issue with making default browser as chrome, we will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Nyima Yonten, May 29, 2018
  3. Browser landings are blank

Thank you Abdul_Malik. The browser is Chrome, the issue is when I open Chrome and search for any subject and it lands on The Search Engine Landing page. The search engine landing page is blank until I hit the reload arrow. So far today it is working properly.
    If it works properly throughout today I will mark this as solved, even though I never figured out why it was doing it.

BillCosner, May 29, 2018
Thema:

1803 Update makes Chrome browser show blank window

1. 1803 Update makes Chrome browser show blank window - Similar Threads - 1803 Update makes

2. Google Chrome shows a blank screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Google Chrome shows a blank screen: I shut down Google Chrome and when I opened it again, there was a blank screen. I uninstalled it and reinstalled it. No luck there. This occurred at a time when I had agreed to install Windows 11 on my computer, which installation failed several times. -- Coincidence? Now I...
  3. Google Chrome shows a blank screen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Google Chrome shows a blank screen: I shut down Google Chrome and when I opened it again, there was a blank screen. I uninstalled it and reinstalled it. No luck there. This occurred at a time when I had agreed to install Windows 11 on my computer, which installation failed several times. -- Coincidence? Now I...
  4. Google Chrome shows a blank screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to make Google Chrome my browser

in Browsers and Email
    How to make Google Chrome my browser: Operating Windows 10. How do I get rid of "ASK" and make Google Chrome my main browser please? Thank you. RonB88 157876
  6. How to make Chrome default browser in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to make Chrome default browser in Windows 10: I am not getting the way to set Chrome as default browser permanently. Just give the steps to do it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-make-chrome-default-browser-in-windows-10/90038208-eac7-4935-92a3-9bb0e17f6cc8
  7. 1803 Update makes Chrome blank window

in Browsers and Email
    1803 Update makes Chrome blank window: My Windows 10 April 2018 (1803) update rolled out yesterday and since then I can't use Google Chrome browser. It opens but only shows a blank window with nothing but the minimize, restore, and close buttons, as well as the status bar at the bottom. Initially the blank part is...
  8. chrome browser update

in Browsers and Email
    chrome browser update: Once is a while when I am on chrome browser a full page window pops up and wants me to update. I am sure this is spam or scam of some type and I do not click on it. My question is since I run ccleaner, malwarebytes, avg, and mrt all of which find nothing why am I getting...
  9. Make Chrome the default browser in start-search

in Browsers and Email
    Make Chrome the default browser in start-search: How do I make Google Chrome (rather the Edge) as the default search engine when do a Start - search request? 94202
  10. Cannot make Chrome as default browser

in Browsers and Email
    Cannot make Chrome as default browser: I have tried all the suggested methods of setting Chrome as a default browser. When open Chrome, I go through of downloading Chrome and agreeing to terms etc etc and it does not work. The next time I log in with Chrome it asks me to make it a default again. When I go through...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows update makes chrome black

2. update 1803 default browser issue

3. update kb4023057 chrome broweser

4. link blank ie 1803