Windows 10: 2 boot options

Discus and support 2 boot options in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; HI Group, I just put an SSD drive in my new Dell XPS 8920 desktop. I used Macrium Reflect to Clone the HDD to The SSD. I then wiped the HDD. So now I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by awildttrout, Nov 25, 2017.

1. 2 boot options

HI Group,
    I just put an SSD drive in my new Dell XPS 8920 desktop. I used Macrium Reflect to Clone the HDD to The SSD. I then wiped the HDD. So now I have one operating system on the SSD which works fine. The problem is that I now get 2 boot options. They are both exactly the same, "Windows 10 on volume 4." So, my question is how can I get rid of this blue screen offering the 2 options and boot right to desktop?
    Appreciate your help.

:)

awildttrout, Nov 25, 2017

2. Boot options

Threads merged same topic

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Nov 25, 2017
  3. Boot options

Hi Prabhat,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

Lets follow the below step and check if it helps.

If you would like to remove the rollback option from the boot up experience:

• From the Start menu or the Search icon, search for cmd.
    • Press-and-hold or right-click Command Prompt from the search results and select
      Run as administrator
    • Type bcdedit /timeout 0 at the command prompt and hit ENTER
    You can get the uninstall option back in the boot menu by following these steps again, but change the
    timeout value to something between 1 and 30, instead of zero.

A few words of warning about the new Uninstall feature:

• If you run Uninstall, you’ll need to know your password from your previous OS.  Account information is not saved from Windows 10 Technical Preview.  Instead, the accounts from your previous OS will be put back in its entirety.
      • Any built-in, modern apps from Windows 8.1 that were updated or replaced for Technical Preview will not work after you Uninstall back to Windows 8.1.  You can repair these apps by uninstalling the app manually and then re-downloading
        them from the Windows Store.
      • There are several ways you can inadvertently break or disable the Uninstall feature:
        • Running Reset or Refresh on Tech Preview will remove the Uninstall option
        • Running Disk Cleanup and removing the Windows.old folder will remove the Uninstall option
        • Adding a new user account in Tech Preview will remove the Uninstall option
        • Removing individual files from the Windows.old folder, without deleting the whole folder, may still allow the Uninstall option to be run.  However if you do, Uninstall
        • may not only fail, it may cause your PC to fail to boot into Windows.

Let us know if this helps or post back if you need further assistance, we will be glad to help

Akheel Ahmed, Nov 25, 2017
  4. 2 boot options

ThrashZone, Nov 25, 2017
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    Press Windows + R key. Run msconfig

Click on the boot tab. Delete the boot entry for the OS that is not set as default.

NavyLCDR, Nov 25, 2017
  6. Thanks for your replies.

I wiped the HDD with DBAN.

I went to msconfig/boot tab and there is only one OS entry there.

awildttrout, Nov 26, 2017
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Command prompt (Admin) (or "run as administrator" command prompt)

bcdedit

then

bcedit /delete {guid}

replace {guid} with the identifier of the Windows boot entry that you don't want. The string of numbers and letters goes inside {} for example:
    bcdedit /delete {ec06c16a-caf8-11e7-b1ac-10c37ba1c52b}

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

2 boot options

1. 2 boot options - Similar Threads - boot options

2. Dual boot option not showing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dual boot option not showing: Have Windows 7 and installed now istalled windows 10 on seperate drive but DUAL BOOT Option not showing help pleaseBoth drives show in BIOS and if changed in BIOS can boot to each OS But...I need option on start up of selecting the OS.Asus Mobo windows 7 on 500gb SSD and...
  3. Dual boot option not showing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dual boot option not showing: Have Windows 7 and installed now istalled windows 10 on seperate drive but DUAL BOOT Option not showing help pleaseBoth drives show in BIOS and if changed in BIOS can boot to each OS But...I need option on start up of selecting the OS.Asus Mobo windows 7 on 500gb SSD and...
  4. Dual boot option not showing

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. When I update to W11 and activate the Secure Boot option, the screen stays like this, and...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When I update to W11 and activate the Secure Boot option, the screen stays like this, and...: This is the screen https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-i-update-to-w11-and-activate-the-secure-boot/cab4c3b1-5f32-4023-9383-d86619931229
  6. When I update to W11 and activate the Secure Boot option, the screen stays like this, and...

When I update to W11 and activate the Secure Boot option, the screen stays like this, and...: This is the screen https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-i-update-to-w11-and-activate-the-secure-boot/cab4c3b1-5f32-4023-9383-d86619931229
  7. I have blue screen error of unmountable boot volme BDOS and I can't open advanced options ,

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have blue screen error of unmountable boot volme BDOS and I can't open advanced options ,: I tried pressing all fn keys , delete key , esc key , but the advanced recovery screen not opens , how can I open advanced options screen , only f2 and f12 works , f2 opens bios setting setup utility and f12 opens a screen named boot manager as it's heading...
  8. I have blue screen error of unmountable boot volme BDOS and I can't open advanced options ,

I have blue screen error of unmountable boot volme BDOS and I can't open advanced options ,: I tried pressing all fn keys , delete key , esc key , but the advanced recovery screen not opens , how can I open advanced options screen , only f2 and f12 works , f2 opens bios setting setup utility and f12 opens a screen named boot manager as it's heading...
  9. Why won't my Cloned disk show up in the Booting priority options while original options are...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why won't my Cloned disk show up in the Booting priority options while original options are...: I need help with cloning.I have a Dell G3 15 3590 with 2 Physical Disks - M2 PCI 128 GB and a SATA 1 TB. Both GPTMy OS is installed on the 128GB drive and is filling up causing my overall performance to slow down. I tried cloning the 128GB onto the 1TB using Macrium Reflect....
  10. Why won't my Cloned disk show up in the Booting priority options while original options are...

Why won't my Cloned disk show up in the Booting priority options while original options are...: I need help with cloning.I have a Dell G3 15 3590 with 2 Physical Disks - M2 PCI 128 GB and a SATA 1 TB. Both GPTMy OS is installed on the 128GB drive and is filling up causing my overall performance to slow down. I tried cloning the 128GB onto the 1TB using Macrium Reflect....