Windows 10: 2 copies of Windows on separate drives?

Discus and support 2 copies of Windows on separate drives? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have a laptop and would like to install a "clean" copy of Windows for my recording studio application. Thus when I want to run regular PC apps I load... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by fireberd, Oct 14, 2017.

1. fireberd Win User

2 copies of Windows on separate drives?

I have a laptop and would like to install a "clean" copy of Windows for my recording studio application. Thus when I want to run regular PC apps I load the Windows that came with the PC. When I want to record, I load the "clean" copy. I know its possible to install two but can I activate both, legally with my digital entitlement?

:)

fireberd, Oct 14, 2017

2. Windows 10 mobile saving 2 copies of photos on phone and onedrive

Hi Randy,

Based on the information you have provided, we may need to do further investigation. We'd like to know the following:

• Which operating system (OS) build are you using? To check, go to Settings
      > System > About > More info.
    • What is the model of the device that you are using?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • When did the issue begin to occur?

We're looking forward to your reply.

Regards.

Dennis Zac, Oct 14, 2017
  3. randykass Win User
    Windows 10 mobile saving 2 copies of photos on phone and onedrive

windows 10 mobile saving 2 copies of photos on phone and onedrive. this is new. storage getting eaten up. phone setting only saves to phone. onedrive has no setting I can see. something causing duplication.

[Moved from Windows Essentials]

[Original title: windows 10 mobile saving 2 copies of photos on phone and onedrive. this is new. any solution or just go to iphone? tx for giving up on windows phone. you guys rock]

randykass, Oct 14, 2017
  4. Cliff S New Member

It's only a disk swap, and you are not running the same key on two different machines, of course it's OK. And yes you'll stay activated as long as it's the exact same windows version.

Cliff S, Oct 14, 2017
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    Did you actually read the EULA (End Users License Agreement)? It contains your answer:

Windows installed on two separate drives installed in the same computer from the same single license violates the EULA.

NavyLCDR, Oct 16, 2017
  6. fireberd Win User
    My take is, it is the same OS on the same machine, just not with all the extra vendor installed software. It wouldn't be any different than if I did a "clean" install on the same PC. The second install (for my recording studio) will never hit the internet once installed - it will always be "off line".

fireberd, Oct 16, 2017
  7. Kari Win User
    @NavyLCDR

2 copies of Windows on separate drives? [​IMG]
    Note Please notice that the opinion presented in this post is my personal subjective opinion. It is solely based on logics, my own experience and how Windows 10 digital licensing is currently working.

I have no factual proof in either direction if the opinion presented is how EULA should be read today, if Microsoft should bring it up to date to cover digital licensing or not.
    Windows EULA is still from time before digital licensing was introduced. Its wording and phrasing has not been changed to cover digital licensing, EULA as it is only covering scenarios before digital licensing where each Windows installation had to be separately activated with a product key or a volume licensing key.

Digital licensing only accepts one product key per edition; if you have an activated and digitally licensed Windows 10 PRO on your PC and you setup another instance of W10 PRO in dual boot, it will be automatically activated based on the digital license of first installation. If you in your efforts to remain completely in accordance to EULA change the product key in second installation, replacing the one it got automatically due digital licensing with another product key, the machine's digital license will be changed and also the original, first installation will from here on use the new product key.

Currently, Windows 10 does only accept one product key per edition on same machine, all dual / multi boot additional installations of the same edition using the same digital license and becoming automatically activated as soon as they have been installed and Windows has connected to Internet.

Based on above, I think it is totally OK to install same edition of Windows 10 to a digitally licensed PC and use it without any worries about going against EULA which quite clearly does not cover digital license scenarios. I have tried to use official channels to get this clarified, having contacted both Microsoft and The Software Alliance (where MS is a founding member) directly and indirectly. I have received no answers.

Open letter to Microsoft and The Software Alliance I posted on Twitter in January:

8. cereberus Win User

Windows EULA is still from time before digital licensing was introduced. Its wording and phrasing has not been changed to cover digital licensing, EULA as it is only covering scenarios before digital licensing where each Windows installation had to be separately activated with a product key or a volume licensing key.

Digital licensing only accepts one product key per edition; if you have an activated and digitally licensed Windows 10 PRO on your PC and you setup another instance of W10 PRO in dual boot, it will be automatically activated based on the digital license of first installation. If you in your efforts to remain completely in accordance to EULA change the product key in second installation, replacing the one it got automatically due digital licensing with another product key, the machine's digital license will be changed and also the original, first installation will from here on use the new product key.

Currently, Windows 10 does only accept one product key per edition on same machine, all dual / multi boot additional installations of the same edition using the same digital license and becoming automatically activated as soon as they have been installed and Windows has connected to Internet.

Based on above, I think it is totally OK to install same edition of Windows 10 to a digitally licensed PC and use it without any worries about going against EULA which quite clearly does not cover digital license scenarios. I have tried to use official channels to get this clarified, having contacted both Microsoft and The Software Alliance (where MS is a founding member) directly and indirectly. I have received no answers.

Open letter to Microsoft and The Software Alliance I posted on Twitter in January:

Kari Totally agree - there are a lot of inconsistencies eg you can use activation troubleshooter to transfer the digital licence even if original licence was oem.

I think the crucial point in the spirit of licencing - it is intended that you can only run one device with one licence ie it is clearly unacceptable to run a host and a vm off same licence as you could run both instances simultaneously. With two installations, as dual boot on host, you can only ever run one instance at a time.

Legally, you can image backup one, uninstall it, and run other. Then you can image 2nd install, uninstall it and restore first image. However, this is totally ABSURD to comply with an EULA that was not developed with digital licensing in mind.You can legally reuse a retail standalone licence on a second pc, provided you wipe windows from old pc (in total compliance with EULA). What is totally absurd is if you sold pc without windows to another party, and he installed windows (same edition), it will activate automatically. Is second person violating EULA, as the EULA does not even cover this situation. Clearly if first person, did this and retained pc, the first person would be violating the spirit of one licence per pc.

Herein is the crucial difference as @Kari says, digital licences are one per device per edition. It is basically impossible to enforce the EULA of one install per licence anymore. So it is essentially just an honour system now (always was but even more so now).

I have come to conclusion, MS do not really care about individual users doing minor transgressions of EULA, as there sole objective is to get as many people as possible onto Windows 10. Why else would free upgrades still work?

Whislt we should actively discourage piracy, I cannot see any point in being ridiculous over minor transgressions. It is fair enough to tell a person they may be in violation if EULA (that is for lawyers to ultimately decide), but not scare user into thinking they could get deactivated for example.

In the end, MS has to either change the EULA to reflect digital licencing, or make more effort to enforce existing EULA. If they do not, then they cannot complain if people use technical (not contractual) loopholes.

cereberus, Oct 16, 2017
  9. fireberd Win User
    I'm going to give it one last shot, doing some manual (temporary) disabling with "Win Patrol". If that works I can do that when I want to use it for recording instead of having to install a second drive for the second Win install. If I make " Resplendence Latency Mon" happy it will work for recording. I don't use it much for recording, only when needed for "on site" recordings and even then just the recordings. Everything is transferred to the Desktop "DAW" machine for audio processing.

fireberd, Oct 16, 2017
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    It has become much easier to justify violating the EULA.

NavyLCDR, Oct 16, 2017
  11. fireberd Win User
    I don't see that I'm "Violating" anything. I'm using the same OS on the same machine. I'm only running one copy at any given time.
    BTW, it works. I installed a 250GB SSD and installed and activated Windows (Home) with my digital entitlement.

fireberd, Oct 16, 2017
  12. Kari Win User
    As you seem to have more knowledge about this than anyone else, please share your wisdom and do tell us how should we do this?

If you have W10 PRO installed and it's digitally licensed, and you will install a second W10 PRO in dual boot, it will be automatically activated. That is an undeniable fact.

If you change the product key of this second install, the key for the first install will be changed, too. That, as well, is an undeniable fact. Windows 10 only accepts one product key per edition per machine. One digital license per edition per machine.

As an expert in this matter, please enlighten use not as wise as you and tell how can we circumvent this to stay in accordance to EULA? I mean, please tell how is that against EULA if the secondary installation will be automatically activated and Windows does not even accept another product key for same edition without changing the first, original installation's key, too?

Keenly awaiting you to enlighten us.

Thema:

1. 2 copies of Windows on separate drives? - Similar Threads - copies separate drives

2. Reinstall Windows on a separate drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reinstall Windows on a separate drive: Currently I'm booting on to my C: drive which is normally just a backup drive. My current D: drive is the drive I normally boot to but when I do, it's just a black screen after the load screen with the spinning circle. I'm not sure what the problem is, but I'm wondering if I...
  3. 2 monitors, 2 separate audio?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    2 monitors, 2 separate audio?: I have 2 55 inch Samsung TVs hooked up as my monitors one hooked straight to hdmi and one display port to hdmi. How can I display 1 audio to play and a different audio to play on display 2? VLC plays one video on monitor 1 while another VLC player on monitor 2 plays it’s...
  4. Question about 2 different windows installations on separate drives

Question about 2 different windows installations on separate drives: I'm installing Windows 10 as a kind of "burner machine" on my second SSD soon, and I just have one question. Let's say I un-assign the drive letter from my main drive in my burner machine, or disable the disk from device manager completely. Will this be enough to stop...
  5. Is possible to have 2 separate and distinct versions of Windows on a hard drive?

Is possible to have 2 separate and distinct versions of Windows on a hard drive?: Is it possible to shrink my existing Windows partition, enough to create another partition, and install a fresh copy of Windows on it and then have a boot menu give me the option of booting either of the copies of Windows? Reason: This is for my laptop. I'm thinking a backup...
  6. Keeping 2 Windows Profiles separate

Keeping 2 Windows Profiles separate: I'm looking to create two separate Windows 10 profiles on my home computer. One for Work, and one for personal use. What I would like is to not have them share desktop icons. I don't want the distraction of something personal on my workspace, but I also don't want to see...
  7. SEPARATE DRIVES

SEPARATE DRIVES: Hello r/Windows10! My PC currently has 1 HDD running Windows 10. I would like to add another hard drive to encrypt private information. I would like the drive to be inaccessible by my current version of Windows and the drive should have its own OS that I can boot into from...
  8. Understanding OneDrive - are there 2 copies on C drive?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Understanding OneDrive - are there 2 copies on C drive?: I recently bought my first Windows 10 laptop and Office 365 Personal. OneDrive has been uploading my documents automatically (it's taking days). This is fine but I'm trying to understand the storage details. In fileexplorer the files on the C drive seem duplicated in both...
  9. Boot 2 copies Win10 Pro in Separate Partitions?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Boot 2 copies Win10 Pro in Separate Partitions?: Is it possible to install another copy (same edition) of Win 10 Pro on the same physical drive in a separate partition. I tried doing it and ended up clobbering the first install. I'm running the current update (5/20/18) of Win10 with UEFI operational. I have downloaded the...
  10. Dual boot Windows 10 and Linux Mint on 2 separate drives

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual boot Windows 10 and Linux Mint on 2 separate drives: Hi guys Some questions please, i have recently installed Linux Mint 18.2 on my Windows 10 PC. Windows 10 is installed on my 500GB SSD. Linux Mint has been installed on a separate 120GB SSD, connected to a sata port. Its all working great, and i can dual boot, choosing...