Windows 10: 2 different operating systems

Discus and support 2 different operating systems in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I currently have Windows 10 - However, I have WD passport external drives that do not run on 10, Can I download XP without causing problems????... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by StellaQT, Jul 20, 2018.

1. StellaQT Win User

2 different operating systems

I currently have Windows 10 - However, I have WD passport external drives that do not run on 10, Can I download XP without causing problems????

:)

StellaQT, Jul 20, 2018
  2. zbook Win User

Programs not working

In post 26 there were steps listed to fix the operating system corruption.
    Are you able to follow them?
    In post 29 was the suggested dism repair command.

zbook, Oct 16, 2018
  3. ' choose an operation system to start"

Hi Bob,

To better assist you, do let us the complete message that you receive.

Sometimes, this could be due to two operating system installed in your computer. Just to make sure this is not the case, I suggest you to try the steps below:

1. Press Windows key + R.

2. Type msconfig and press enter.

3. Click the "boot" tab and check if there are any other operating system listed.

4. In addition, change the timeout time to 3 seconds(default)

Let us know the result, we will be glad to help if you need further assistance.

Wungraileng Vashi, Oct 16, 2018
  4. 2 different operating systems

Error: "An operating system wasn't found. Try disconnecting any drives that don't contain an operating system"

Hi Stephen,

I realize the inconvenience you are facing in accessing the operating system. Now that you have me with you let me take care of this.

Do let us know if you are able to see Windows 7/ Windows 10 operating system while rebooting the device?

As you are unable to boot the operating system, this issue might have occurred when the boot files are missing or corrupted.

I suggest you re-built the boot rec by following the below commands and check if it helps.
    You will have to use Windows 10/7 installation media to follow the steps to boot into Recovery Environment and try to rebuild BCD.

Step 1: I suggest you to create an installation media for
    operating system using the media creation tool

If system boots to Windows 10:
    Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool

If system boots to Windows 7: Download Windows 7 Disc Images (ISO Files)

Step 2: After preparing the installation media, insert it hard reboot the device and follow the below:

• Boot into Windows Recovery Environment using the Windows 10/7 installation media.
    • Click on Repair your computer.
    • Click on Troubleshoot and in the Advanced options.
    • Select Command Prompt. Type the following commands into the prompt and press Enter key after each command.
    • bootrec /fixmbr

• bootrec /fixboot

• bootrec /scanos

• bootrec /rebuildbcd
    5. Restart the computer.

NOTE: Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting
    from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of booting the operating system for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Oct 16, 2018
Thema:

2 different operating systems

1. 2 different operating systems - Similar Threads - different operating systems

2. Difference between system software and operating system software

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Difference between system software and operating system software: What distinguishes system software from operating system software? * Moved from Community Participation Center https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/difference-between-system-software-and-operating/273dd2c1-9bd0-4ad2-9afb-f30adbc354ff
  3. Difference between system software and operating system software

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Difference between system software and operating system software: What distinguishes system software from operating system software? * Moved from Community Participation Center https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/difference-between-system-software-and-operating/273dd2c1-9bd0-4ad2-9afb-f30adbc354ff
  4. Differences in Operating System

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Differences in Operating System: Hi Support,I want to know the differences in operating systemWe are Small Medium Business and whether we can use Windows 10 Home instead of Windows 10 Professional Operating system?What are the differences in Windows 10 Home & Windows 10 professional Operating system.Looking...
  5. Differences in Operating System

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Differences in Operating System: Hi Support,I want to know the differences in operating systemWe are Small Medium Business and whether we can use Windows 10 Home instead of Windows 10 Professional Operating system?What are the differences in Windows 10 Home & Windows 10 professional Operating system.Looking...
  6. Differences in Operating System

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. 2 operating systems showing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    2 operating systems showing: I whas just wondering why are these two options showing in msconf Thank you[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/2-operating-systems-showing/6b35c7eb-5696-4f1b-ab54-537de29623e4"
  8. One Computer Using 2 Different Operating Systems On 2 Different Drives And Boot Manger

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    One Computer Using 2 Different Operating Systems On 2 Different Drives And Boot Manger: The goal is to be able to boot from either of the two operating systems from the boot manger but i don't know how to do this do i have to install OS on one then unplug that HDD then install the OS on the other HDD any help and how do i get boot Boot Manger to work right?...
  9. How to boot from 2 different ssd with 2 different Windows 10 operating systems already...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to boot from 2 different ssd with 2 different Windows 10 operating systems already...: Greetings, I bought a new gaming computer that I want to use for gaming and also use my old drive as a work computer. I have tried to simply select boot priority, but the older drive is not an option in the uefi. I can get the older drive to boot when I set it up under the...
  10. Setting up a network with different Operating systems

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Setting up a network with different Operating systems: I need to set up a very small network with computers using older versions of Windows so I don't want to use homegroups. I believe I did set up a Workgroup network (which is the default name) which is fine and all the computers can see each other, but I haven't figured out how...