Windows 10: 2 hard drives lost boot

Discus and support 2 hard drives lost boot in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Not so sure my title is fitting, sorry i haven't been around in along time,, anyhow my issue is odd,, last night my battery back up fried out in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by JRockZ, Jul 27, 2018.

1. JRockZ Win User

2 hard drives lost boot

Not so sure my title is fitting, sorry i haven't been around in along time,, anyhow my issue is odd,, last night my battery back up fried out in the middle of the night it wont power on without the alarm going off like crazy. So after eliminating that then i couldn't get my PC to stay powered on long enough to boot, after process of elimination it finally booted after i defaulted the bios.
    So now my problem is i have two SSD drives and one HDD,, after process of elimination ive found im good minus the larger of the two SSD drives it is only a storage drive and is unneeded nor does it being plugged in or unplugged make any difference,,, so lets just eliminate that from the equation
    Now when i boot from just the one smaller SSD drive all is fine and win 10 boots right up like a champ! when i connect the HDD (it did have win 7 on it years ago, but is only used for storage now) it will not boot no matter what it goes to the old win 7 install!
    Even weirder is When i force boot directly to that SSD drive through my Bios and select ssd drive "windows boot manager" it just links me back into the bios it never actually boots the SSD drive like it did when the HDD wasn't connected. If i select the "SSD drive" only, it goes to the old win 7 install again or if i select the HDD of course it also goes to its win 7 install.

so what does the HDD being plugged in have to do with that SSD drive? I had all these drives up and working and booting fine for the last year or so!
    I checked with easybcd that i only have the one win 10 install and it is set to default! (see attached)
    Just a rough guess but it seems to me even though the win ten install is the default operating system the boot files must link to or be on the HDD as well?
    Any help would be much appreciated!
    Thanks!

:)

JRockZ, Jul 27, 2018
  2. GSG-9 Win User

Lost the Seagate...

The drive seems to be completely dead, my computer will not boot if I have it connected...to the windows cd or the new installation on the F1 drive (which is the boot drive now by the way)

Thanks for the above article, im booting into Vista: U 64 right now, I cant follow those steps if the drive is in, it will lock up before it gets that far or if its not a cold boot the drive does not appear on the list.

GSG-9, Jul 27, 2018
  3. Windows 10 won't boot with another hard drive

Hi Bobby,

Thanks for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

To assist you better, please provide details.

1) On which hard drive, you are trying to install Windows 10?

2) What is the size of the drive, where you are trying to install Windows 10?

I would suggest you to perform Check Disk on your hard drive and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps:

• Press Windows + X on your keyboard.

• Select Command Prompt (Admin).

• Type the below commands.

Cskdsk [drive letter]: /f /r

Reply to us with the status of your issue, we will be happy to assist you.

Santosh_Rai, Jul 27, 2018
  4. HAL7000 Win User

2 hard drives lost boot

Who thinks they know hard drives? ^^

Do you have SMART enabled disk? Have you looked for a warning either in the hard drive section of the BIOS or during the POST phase when booting up your machine?

These are 2 simple steps I first take when diagnosing hard drive issues.

HAL7000, Jul 27, 2018
Thema:

2 hard drives lost boot

1. 2 hard drives lost boot - Similar Threads - hard drives lost

2. Duel boot 2 hard drives, 2 OS?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Duel boot 2 hard drives, 2 OS?: Ok, so my Windows 10 gaming tower took a **** and I removed the hard drive. I then bought a Windows 11 gaming tower and I want to install the windows 10 hard drive as a 2nd OS for a duel boot as there are some things I can't do with windows 11 that I can with 10 like use my...
  3. Duel boot 2 hard drives, 2 OS?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Duel boot 2 hard drives, 2 OS?: Ok, so my Windows 10 gaming tower took a **** and I removed the hard drive. I then bought a Windows 11 gaming tower and I want to install the windows 10 hard drive as a 2nd OS for a duel boot as there are some things I can't do with windows 11 that I can with 10 like use my...
  4. Windows 10 Hard Drive Lost Boot Capability

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Hard Drive Lost Boot Capability: Hello, I just tried to use Clonezilla to to make a image backup. All seemed to perform fine with no errors, but now when I try to boot up, I get the blue error screen, Error 0xc000000e. I have tried all the Microsoft guides to repair the boot, but no luck. I made a bootable...
  5. After Cloning My Hard Drive With Clonezilla Lost Boot Capability

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    After Cloning My Hard Drive With Clonezilla Lost Boot Capability: Hello, I just tried to use Clonzilla to to make a image backup. All seemed to perform fine with no errors, but now when I try to boot up, I get the blue error screen, Error 0xc000000e. I have tried all the Microsoft guides to repair the boot, but no luck. I made a bootable...
  6. Lost hard drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Lost hard drives: I have a somewhat complicated set up with two computers, a main and the backup, and a large number of peripherals that are attached to switches to move them between the two computers. The problem I have is on my main computer and concerns three USB external hard drives. They...
  7. Accidental dual boot on 2 hard drives. How to revert?

Accidental dual boot on 2 hard drives. How to revert?: I have 2 SSDs and want to have 2 autonomous Windows 10 machines. First one already has Windows 10 and the second one was supposed to get a clean install with another Windows 10 OS via USB. Both SSDs were connected to the PC during the clean install. After I clean installed,...
  8. Lost dual boot with two hard drives

in Windows 10 Customization
    Lost dual boot with two hard drives: ***Modify title from: LOST dual booting function on TWO HD desktop and lost ability to run Win 10 PRO.*** Two HD Desktop was working fine and upon start-up showed option to run Win10 PRO (located on a 1 TB hard drive) or run Windows Vista Ultimate (located on another 1 TB...
  9. Having 2 hard drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Having 2 hard drives: Does anyone here have 2 HDDs or 2 SSDs that they use one for the soul purpose of the OS and use the other for installing software? I'm highly considering that. Is that possible in Win10? 21663
  10. Dual booting with 2 seperate hard drives

Dual booting with 2 seperate hard drives: Hi, have hp laptop in which I have installed seperately 2 hard drive which runs Windows 10 Proff. And Windows 7 Proff. These have to be installed to the same bay, independently, when they will be recognised. Recently I obtained another dvd drive bay in which I installed the...