Windows 10: 2 instances of the pagefile on separate disks

Discus and support 2 instances of the pagefile on separate disks in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; HI there! Win 10 Home Version 1709 OS Build 16299.125 My desktop PC has 3 internal disks: (C) 250GB SSD, (D) 894GB SSD and (E) 3TB HDD. There is a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Riemann, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Riemann Win User

2 instances of the pagefile on separate disks

HI there! Win 10 Home Version 1709 OS Build 16299.125
    My desktop PC has 3 internal disks: (C) 250GB SSD, (D) 894GB SSD and (E) 3TB HDD.

There is a pagefile on disk D and another one on disk E, which is just a storage disk.

Both files have the exact same size of 33,554,433.0 KB
    although pagefile on disk E was last modified in February 2017 (that is more than a year ago)
    and the other one is current.

Question: Is this normal for Win 10 to have a "shadow" pagefile? Is it safe to get rid of the one
    on my storage disk E?
    I am fairly good on free disk space but wouldn't mind an extra 32GB.

Thank you in advance.

:)

Riemann, Mar 7, 2018
  2. ВеСе Win User

Best pagefile size for Windows 10 x64 OS

Sorry I bump this question but wanted to ask if pagefile set to System Managed and Automatic memory dump then can this cause disk space to change (to become smaller, i.e pagefile increasing) when CPU, memory and disk usage is high? Today I opened around
    30 tabs in Mozilla and then I noticed 2 gb from my C was gone. I cleared Mozilla cache and history but the 2 gb weren't restored. Might this be because system automatically making pagefile bigger because of high resources usage?

ВеСе, Mar 7, 2018
  3. Windows 10 pagefile.sys

Hello!

About all I can say is, if this were XP, I would do the following if I had multiple hard drives (at least one more besides the one that has the Windows OS partition on it):

1) I would move my entire pagefile onto a secondary hard drive and off the C:

2) Defrag C:

3) Move the pagefile off the secondary drive and put it back on C:, this should resolve the specific issue you are trying to correct.

Here are the potential issues:

1) The secondary hard drive goes out in the process of doing this and your system will not work

2) Theoretically, a pagefile that is one contiguous file on the hard drive should reduce the seek time when the system needs to swap something in RAM with something stored in the pagefile. But, you may lose any speed gains to the fact that the pagefile
    is now further away from the beginning of the disk than it was. However, I'm not sure if that is true.

3) If you don't mind flying loose and fancy free with your data, you can always just move the pagefile to some other disk and leave it there. The above procedure was suggested as a means of speeding up the computer for gaming by sharing the seek/writes
    between multiple disks. But if you are going to do that, you might as well set up a RAID.

One option I have considered is partitioning the hard drive in a similar manner that I've seen Linux does in that you'd create a separate partition on the hard drive just for the pagefile, and nothing else. Preferably, in the case of an MBR formatted drive,
    between the reserved system partition and the Windows OS partition (C2 instances of the pagefile on separate disks :). I haven't actually done this, just considered. Main thing would be to create a disk partition that is large enough to hold the entire pagefile with a little extra space as buffer.

That said, I really don't know how much you will actually gain versus what could go wrong. Anyone else have a suggestion?

WilliamLynch72, Mar 7, 2018
  4. CountMike New Member

No, it's not normal or even needed. There was a fad for a while to change place for page file/ virtual memory to another disk to speed it up on slow HDDs and with too little RAM.
    You can safely adjust them like this:

2 instances of the pagefile on separate disks [​IMG]

With so much RAM you can even "kill" it completely or reduce greatly if any programs insist on having at least some. With 16GB of ram I keep only couple of GB for it.

CountMike, Mar 7, 2018
  5. Riemann Win User
    Thank you for your reply, CountMike.
    I relocated some of the folders from the system disk C (Profile Directory, AppData, etc.) to disk D right after I had installed the latter. Also had the pagefile allocated on it by choice. Here's how it looked like

The mystery though is how the second pagefile has come around because I definitely didn't create it.
    Moreover, it's not even listed on disk E as shown in the image above. Anyway, I have it deleted, and set pagefile size to the recommended 4978 MB. No problems this far.

One more thing. After updating to the newer version of Win 10 (1709) the MSI RAMdisk has been installed as shown in the image below (I have 32GB (4x8GB Avexir Raiden DDR4) of installed RAM, and it is plenty for what I do on my PC. RAM usage rarely goes above 20%, average rate is 7-12%)

Question: With enough DDR RAM do I need this RAMDisk?

Thanks again.

Riemann, Mar 7, 2018
  6. CountMike New Member
    With RAMdisk it's more of a question if you need it with a fast (or any) SSD. It's emulation of storage and with a lot of RAM, slow HDD combo, it can be useful as temporary storage or scratch disk for some programs.

CountMike, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. 2 instances of the pagefile on separate disks - Similar Threads - instances pagefile separate

2. combining 2 SSDs from separate disks

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    combining 2 SSDs from separate disks: Hi,Is it possible to combine 2 SSDs from separated disks into one? I bought my acer nitro 5 and had it upgraded the SSD but when it came they were in 2 separate disks. My SSD 1 disk 1 kept filing up with files while the SSD is not being used at all. I would like to combine...
  3. combining 2 SSDs from separate disks

in Windows 10 Gaming
    combining 2 SSDs from separate disks: Hi,Is it possible to combine 2 SSDs from separated disks into one? I bought my acer nitro 5 and had it upgraded the SSD but when it came they were in 2 separate disks. My SSD 1 disk 1 kept filing up with files while the SSD is not being used at all. I would like to combine...
  4. Intermittent high disk activity on SSD - pagefile issue?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Intermittent high disk activity on SSD - pagefile issue?: Not sure if I should post in this section or Anti-virus / security, but feel it's unlikely to be a virus issue so will try in here. I've recently noticed that the hard disk activity light is always busy, so I took a look under task manager to discover disk usage to be around...
  5. 2 monitors, 2 separate audio?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    2 monitors, 2 separate audio?: I have 2 55 inch Samsung TVs hooked up as my monitors one hooked straight to hdmi and one display port to hdmi. How can I display 1 audio to play and a different audio to play on display 2? VLC plays one video on monitor 1 while another VLC player on monitor 2 plays it’s...
  6. Logical bad sectors in the disk of virtual memory pagefile

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Logical bad sectors in the disk of virtual memory pagefile: Dear community, My laptop is having frequent UNEXPECTED STORE EXCEPTION issue. A previous question related to that:...
  7. Help with having separate rdp instances to same computer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help with having separate rdp instances to same computer: We have a computer with some specialty software that takes a couple hours to set up, we can’t use VNC due to it it not being encrypted and don’t want to open up our ssh ports to tunnel it. Is there a way to remote into a windows 10 desktop that doesn’t effect the user of the...
  8. PageFile

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    PageFile: I'm really in need of pc storage, I tried everything to empty the PageFile.sys at shutdown by changing the ClearPageFileAtShutdown value to 1 on the registry, and I tried to change it's location to my E drive where I have more space by nothing won't work the file stay in C...
  9. Real 2 separate desktops

in Windows 10 Customization
    Real 2 separate desktops: This has been asked before and threads closed without a positive answer. I would love to have two real different virtual desktops. 1 for working with files, folders and shortcuts related to working 2 for gaming with files, folders and shortcuts related to gaming 3 for...
  10. Bot Automation - How To Run In Separate Instance 24/7?

in Windows 10 Support
    Bot Automation - How To Run In Separate Instance 24/7?: Hi Everyone, I'm using Pulover's Macro Creator to automate some mundane tasks, for this program to work the GUI needs to stay active. Now I'm using 2 VPSes to keep it fully automated. VPS1 connects to VPS2, on 2 is Pulover's running. I did not find a way to keep one VPS...