Windows 10: 2 odd issues - anyone familair w/ the inner workings able to help?

Discus and support 2 odd issues - anyone familair w/ the inner workings able to help? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; So heres the deal. after reformatting my entire PC due to a networking issue - ive gotten it ALMOST back to where I want it. I'll be the first to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by klepp0906, Aug 11, 2016.

1. klepp0906 Win User

2 odd issues - anyone familair w/ the inner workings able to help?

So heres the deal. after reformatting my entire PC due to a networking issue - ive gotten it ALMOST back to where I want it.

I'll be the first to admit ive disabled a couple services, and ive removed all the microsoft bloatwares. That being said, ive noticed some odd behavior I basically HAVE to fix before i go any further.

Otherwise im spinning my wheels while i wait to start over and do another format.

So heres the deal.

A) windows will NOT stop installing the garbage metro apps to my start menu. Ive disabled it in the settings/personalize/start tab. Ive disabled it in group policy. Ive disabled it in the registry. One after another in an effort tog et it to stop.

B) whenever windows instlals one of these apps, OR if I install something of my own - I cannot select it in the start menu at all, its like mousing over an empty space. This is fixed by either restarting the pc, or by simply using task manager to restart the explorer process.

Ideas?

:)

klepp0906, Aug 11, 2016

2. Windows 10 Free Upgrade - Inner Workings?

Thanks for that.

I have another question to put to you. Is there any way to check the progress of the download? The Windows 10 FAQ says reserving the free upgrade will download files to your computer before the GA date. Is there any way to check the progress of said downloads?

Callum Moffat, Aug 11, 2016
  3. Windows 10 Free Upgrade - Inner Workings?

Hey,

I just want to ask a few questions regarding the Windows 10 free upgrade.

1. What does the GWX app actually do? How does it tie in with Windows Update?

2. How long will reserved computers have to wait to receive the 7/29 build?

3. How does activation work with the free upgrade? Do you get a new product key, or is it the same key, just given a new flag on the activation servers?

4. Is there any chance the upgrade can completely stuff a computer? Give me the odds, please. My family will
    kill me if that happens to our lounge device.

Thanks,

Callum

Callum Moffat, Aug 11, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hello, it's really not worth bothering to try to remove the default apps. They use hardly any CPU time (ok, they update quite regularly), and not a vast amount of space.

They will reappear at each major upgrade, and if you do an in-place upgrade repair install.
    You can set which ones run in the background in Settings.

Better to spend time actually installing what you want and using your PC.
    Trying to change things can cause you unnecessary problems.

Your last but one para appears to be a problem, but may well be one you've caused by trying to reconfigure your system (noted services being changed, things removed).

I assume you did start by creating a disk image (e.g. Macrium reflect (free) so you could always restore your system should these changes cause problems. Strongly recommended- saves a huge amount of stress and time- allows you even to deal with a failed disk/unbootable PC.

Turning to the start menu- it sounds like you don't want to see universal apps in the start menu. As you'll have noted, the Win 10 start menu isn't really very configurable.

If you don't want to be faced with the apps, use a replacement start menu. There are several.
    I use Classic Shell- wonderfully configurable, and great for desktop users. Optionally it can also launch universal apps, which are in a separate folder (= you wouldn't see them).

dalchina, Aug 12, 2016
Thema:

1. 2 odd issues - anyone familair w/ the inner workings able to help? - Similar Threads - odd issues anyone

2. Is anyone able to help with a BSOD - IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is anyone able to help with a BSOD - IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL?: I have recently upgraded my PC to use a 3060ti and a new M.2. Because of this, I did a fresh install of windows 11. During the installation, I suffered a boot loop that lasted for 10 mins until I was able to launch safe mode and it eventally sorted itself out. I then went on...
  3. Is anyone able to help with a BSOD - IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is anyone able to help with a BSOD - IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL?: I have recently upgraded my PC to use a 3060ti and a new M.2. Because of this, I did a fresh install of windows 11. During the installation, I suffered a boot loop that lasted for 10 mins until I was able to launch safe mode and it eventally sorted itself out. I then went on...
  4. Anyone able to help with this

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Anyone able to help with this: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/bilal_53 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/uliofh/anyone_able_to_help_with_this/
  5. Anyone able to read these minidumps to help identify my BSOD issue?

Anyone able to read these minidumps to help identify my BSOD issue?: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Amnz3b0YgYjlizUQq_iIyW5gBMpU?e=YXFATL I believe I linked the files correctly. The issues happen every day or 2 and it usually happens when I am just idle or watching a Youtube. I can play games just fine but then I will be literally doing nothing when I...
  6. anyone able to help

anyone able to help: dunno why im saying it here but do anyone know why when i play one of my games (roblox) it says you'll need a new app to play this roblox-player link? i dont really know what to do and would need some help. submitted by /u/oofoofoof333 [link] [comments]...
  7. Anyone able to help or give advice?

Anyone able to help or give advice?: I recently shut down my computer to update as I do regularly. However, when I turned the system back on, I am logged into a temporary account, with none of my files and none of my data etc. I’ve spent 4 hours looking up how to get back into my permanent user, and I just can’t...
  8. 2, w, and s keys not working?

2, w, and s keys not working?: got a nice laptop a month or two ago, and i've been playing some games with it online with friends. during game my keys just stop working. I can't use them outside of game either... any help? submitted by /u/ok_phatty [link] [comments]...
  9. Oddly able to use a single windows10 license on 2 pcs

Oddly able to use a single windows10 license on 2 pcs: Im an alien here and newbie on this matter so i might just being ignorant but here it is: Last month, my laptop (preloaded with windows10) cant boot at all, so i decided to do a clean wipe. Before i did that, i was afraid that my license would be compromised so i pulle out...
  10. Anyone familair with robocopy?

in Windows 10 Support
    Anyone familair with robocopy?: let me explain what im trying to do. I have a ton of data sequestered on different hard drives (apart from my system drive) and this obviously helps me have data backed up and helps me when/if i need to format by saving a tremendous amount of time. Unfortunately due to...