Windows 10: 2 OSes, 1 Product Key?

Discus and support 2 OSes, 1 Product Key? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I created a Windows 10 installation media on a USB stick under Windows 8.1 Pro (Full Retail) on my new computer. My old computer had Windows 8.1 Pro... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Axle Grease, Jul 30, 2015.

1. 2 OSes, 1 Product Key?

I created a Windows 10 installation media on a USB stick under Windows 8.1 Pro (Full Retail) on my new computer. My old computer had Windows 8.1 Pro (OEM). I ran setup.exe on the USB stick under each 8.1 Pro OS. They both ended up with the same product key. Why? Which license is associated with the product key?

BTW, both OSes are activated.

:)

Axle Grease, Jul 30, 2015

2. 2 OSes, 1 Product Key?

I created a Windows 10 installation media on a USB stick under Windows 8.1 Pro (Full Retail) on my 2014 PC. My 2009 PC had Windows 8.1 Pro (OEM). I ran setup.exe on the USB stick under each 8.1 Pro OSes. They both ended
    up with the same product key. Why? Which license is associated with the product key?

Anthony Neville, Jul 30, 2015
  3. 2 OSes, 1 Product Key?

Then how do I transfer the full retail licensed copy to a future PC without a unique product key?

Anthony Neville, Jul 30, 2015
  4. PRMan Win User

2 OSes, 1 Product Key?

All Windows 10 ends up with the same product key. They register your PC by using CPUID and Mac address of your network card and stuff like that.

PRMan, Jul 30, 2015
  5. What are the last 5 characters of your Windows 10 product key?

Axle Grease, Jul 30, 2015
  6. Never mind. I googled the product key. I still don't understand why the product keys are the same. With a full retail OS I had the right to transfer the license to a new machine if I removed the copy from the old PC. How does that work when all Win 10 keys are the same?

Axle Grease, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

2 OSes, 1 Product Key?

1. 2 OSes, 1 Product Key? - Similar Threads - OSes Product Key

2. 2 KEY INTO 1 ACCOUNT

in Windows 10 Gaming
    2 KEY INTO 1 ACCOUNT: I bought a laptop recently which came with a windows 11 home version preinstalled into it. Then i bought a windows 11 pro retail key and activated it into my laptop with the same microsoft account. Will my account have 2 keys attached to it?...
  3. 2 KEY INTO 1 ACCOUNT

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    2 KEY INTO 1 ACCOUNT: I bought a laptop recently which came with a windows 11 home version preinstalled into it. Then i bought a windows 11 pro retail key and activated it into my laptop with the same microsoft account. Will my account have 2 keys attached to it?...
  4. 2/1 appearences

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    2/1 appearences: CONHOST.EXEMicrosoft CorporationFeb 1, 2022MICROSOFT.WINDOWS.STARTMENUEXPERIENCEHOSTUnknownFeb 1, 2022MessengerUnknownFeb 1, 2022Anyone know what these are? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/21-appearences/097dc686-b9a5-4e74-ac08-1c503dfb43b6
  5. i have 3 computers, 2 are digital license and 1 using product key, and 3 microsoft offices,...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    i have 3 computers, 2 are digital license and 1 using product key, and 3 microsoft offices,...: asking this for just-in-case situation, currently i have 3 computers: PC1 = windows 10 pro [digital license] + microsoft office pro plus 2016 PC2 = windows 10 pro [product key] + microsoft office pro plus 2019 PC3 = windows 10 pro [digital license] + microsoft office pro...
  6. Activating windows on 2 computers with 2 unique product keys and only 1 installation disk

Activating windows on 2 computers with 2 unique product keys and only 1 installation disk: I recently built my own PC, and activated windows on it. I bought an install disk that came with a license of it's own, and used that to activate windows successfully. I want to know whether or not it is possible to buy a second product key to use on a second system to...
  7. multiple monitors change 1/2 to 1 and 2

in Windows 10 Customization
    multiple monitors change 1/2 to 1 and 2: When I go to Settings and Display, my multiple monitors show "1/2" instead of 1 and 2. I think you can change this by right clicking on the clock/date on the bottom right, but I don't know which to select when I get there. Help?...
  8. Halo 2 product key

Halo 2 product key: Hi I have an old halo 2 game but no product key, can i please have one provided so i can play this game? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/halo-2-product-key/ea587412-d3e9-4335-b196-258a8a6e2e64"
  9. 2 license keys for 1 account?

2 license keys for 1 account?: Hello all, I recently built a new PC and was going to move my windows 10 key to it from my current one. Instead I was thinking I would just buy a new key since i'm not selling this one but giving it to my brother. Would it be possible to have 2 license keys linked to my...
  10. 2 Machines on same Product Key

2 Machines on same Product Key: Hi there, I have a very... interesting problem. I bought an old Dell desktop computer a little while ago to run as a second machine for long calculations and other such things. I updated the OS to windows 10 (pro) from windows 7 (pro). It was working fine, and then I decided...