Windows 10: 2 PCs. 2 connections. Can't figure it out.

Discus and support 2 PCs. 2 connections. Can't figure it out. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Odd one this. I have my main PC... and a PC under the TV acting as a HTPC. The 2 are directly connected by a network cable. In addition both have a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by philbean, Feb 9, 2016.

1. philbean Win User

2 PCs. 2 connections. Can't figure it out.

Odd one this.

I have my main PC... and a PC under the TV acting as a HTPC.
    The 2 are directly connected by a network cable. In addition both have a Wifi dongle and both get internet via WiFi

I wish to transfer files from the PC to the HTPC via the wire as it is much faster than Wifi (20secs vs 20mins for a 4Gb file)

The HTPC is Windows 8.
    Previously the PC was Windows 7.
    I just created a network bridge on the W7 PC between the wired network and the wifi network. Click = done. Worked fine. The PCs used the wifi for the internet and the wire when transferring files.

Now I've upgraded the PC to W10 (the HTPC is unchanged and still W8)
    I've tried the same bridge but it has no effect. When I transfer a file it uses the slow Wifi. Unless I disable the Wifi completely then it will use the wire.

Any ideas? Have I missed something?
    I'm certain it just worked on W7.

:)

philbean, Feb 9, 2016
  2. a45490s Win User

Trying to connect to internet via usb on a blackjack 2

Hello I just purchased a Blackjack 2 and can't figure out how to connect to the internet via usb like my former pda an Ipaq is there some patch and or program I need to connect to the internet

a45490s, Feb 9, 2016
  3. WesleyJN Win User
    Windows 10 on 2 computers. Can't figure out how to do different wallpaper on each.

Whenever I change the picture on my desktop background on one computer it syncs with the other computer and changes that to match. How can I turn this off in Windows 10?

WesleyJN, Feb 9, 2016
  4. topgundcp Win User

topgundcp, Feb 9, 2016
  5. philbean Win User
    Sorry if my post wasnt clear.

The two PCs ARE connected by a crossover cable. The issue is that, when transferring files the PC is ignoring the cable and using the very slow wifi connection instead. The only way to make it use the cable is to disable my wifi adaptor.

In Windows 7 creating a Network Bridge between the 2 solved this, but it isn't working on W10. It's still using the WiFi instead.

philbean, Feb 9, 2016
  6. Berton Win User
    All things considered, Win10 IS aimed more at wireless. When I need unrestricted Internet access I turn off the Wi-Fi and use only the Ethernet cable to the Router. But then I'm usually working on computers just a few feet from the Router and have a port and cable just for the purpose.

Berton, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. 2 PCs. 2 connections. Can't figure it out. - Similar Threads - PCs connections Can't

2. Connecting 2 PCs one to use dual monitors

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Connecting 2 PCs one to use dual monitors: This relates to 2 x W10 64 bit machines. Just starting new job and they have a provided 2 x wide screen monitors, a Thinkpad laptop and Thinkpad dock. I have an existing PC ... which until now I connected to an Avocent switchview DVI (KVM) Now I want to connect the lap top...
  3. 2 games on 2 pcs at the same time

in Windows 10 Gaming
    2 games on 2 pcs at the same time: I have one Microsoft account, can my son play Minecrat on pc at the same time my other son plays call of duty on a different pc? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/2-games-on-2-pcs-at-the-same-time/d64e1846-ca66-4756-9f55-7eb3e2b4cf1a
  4. 2 networks 2 PCs

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    2 networks 2 PCs: Hii. I have 2 networks in my work place one is for PCs and the other for Machine , this one for machines has an IP cam connected to it now i need to access this cam from PCs on the first network , you have to know that the second pc for machine is connected to the first...
  5. Weird keyboard setup. Can't figure it out. 2 Languages, 2 Layouts, 2 Keyboards

in Windows 10 Customization
    Weird keyboard setup. Can't figure it out. 2 Languages, 2 Layouts, 2 Keyboards: Hey there, So I have a surface laptop 3 with German layout and a MX keys with English layout. Most of the time I write in English, which is why I changed my Y with the Z using Sharpkeys on my German layout Surface. now I updated my setup with the MX in English. Now it...
  6. 2 PCs on same network but cannot connect them

2 PCs on same network but cannot connect them: This seems to happen after updates. 1 PC has a printer that we can usually print to that from either PC. Currently they cannot see each other. no 1 will not change to turn on network discovery and current profile is private. won't turn on under public profile either number...
  7. Connect 2 pcs to use one as a secondary screen

in Windows 10 Customization
    Connect 2 pcs to use one as a secondary screen: I am trying to connect 2 pcs - both running W10 at most recent release level - in order to use one as a secondary screen. According to instructions I am using Settings/Connect/Projecting to this PC. When I select Project I see the pc that I want to use as the secondary...
  8. Connect 2 PCs wirelessly

Connect 2 PCs wirelessly: I am trying to get two PCs (both running Win 10) to talk to each other wirelessly. Both show they are paired one with the other but they will not connect. How do I get them to connect so I can use Wninows Explorer to see their respective files?...
  9. One of several PCs can't connect to a server in home network- Can't figure out why..

One of several PCs can't connect to a server in home network- Can't figure out why..: Hi, We have a bunch of PCs at home, but just one can't connect to a server. All the other PCs on the networks connect to themselves, and the server without trouble. Just one PC can't (Win 10). The PC in question is running Win 10 Home, the server is running 8.1 (don't ask...
  10. Connecting 2 PCs on a Wi-Fi Network

Connecting 2 PCs on a Wi-Fi Network: How can I transfer files from one PC to another using Wi-Fi network? Both PCs are on the same network, yet they do not recognize each other. I am using D-Link wireless router DIR-885L. What shall I do so that I see and use the files from one PC on another PC through the File...