Windows 10: 2 Questions about Disk & Defragmentation

Discus and support 2 Questions about Disk & Defragmentation in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; First of all, I'll show situation with screenshot: [img] 1. Why I have so many recovery partitions on my SSD? Is it okay? Or should I do... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Ditendra, Jul 22, 2017.

1. Ditendra Win User

2 Questions about Disk & Defragmentation

First of all, I'll show situation with screenshot:

2 Questions about Disk  & Defragmentation [​IMG]

1. Why I have so many recovery partitions on my SSD? Is it okay? Or should I do something to change it?
    2. It seems Defragmentation schedule was on weekly and all disks were checked by default. My question is should I keep my SSD checked there? Cause I know SSD's doesn't need defragmentation and they are bad for them, but I'm thinking maybe Microsoft changed it, cause it's 2017 year now & almost all people use SSD's now. So maybe Microsoft's new updates changed defragmentation utility and when they say "optimize" drive with SSD it optimizes without defragmentation?

:)

Ditendra, Jul 22, 2017
  2. aakkam22 Win User

Disk Defrag

If your system has a traditional HDD, then Windows automatically runs Disk Defragmenter once a week; if your system has an SSD, Disk Defragmenter is turned off because defragmenting SSDs can hurt them.

To open Disk Defragmenter:

1. In Windows Explorer, right-click the drive that you want to defragment, and click Properties.

2. Under Tools, click Defragment Now.

That's it.

aakkam22, Jul 22, 2017
  3. Rohn007 Win User
    Rohn007, Jul 22, 2017
  4. lx07 Win User

1. It is OK to leave as it is but you can delete the partitions you aren't using if you want.

First check recovery is enabled and which partition is being used. From administrator command or powershell prompt: Code: PS C:\Windows\system32> diskpart Microsoft DiskPart version 10.0.15063.0 Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. On computer: MACBOOK DISKPART> select disk 0 Disk 0 is now the selected disk. DISKPART> list partition Partition ### Type Size Offset ------------- ---------------- ------- ------- Partition 1 Recovery 450 MB 1024 KB Partition 2 System 100 MB 451 MB Partition 3 Reserved 16 MB 551 MB Partition 4 Primary 106 GB 567 MB DISKPART> exit Leaving DiskPart... PS C:\Windows\system32> reagentc /info Windows Recovery Environment (Windows RE) and system reset configuration Information: Windows RE status: Enabled Windows RE location: \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition1\Recovery\WindowsRE Boot Configuration Data (BCD) identifier: 3be03281-176e-11e7-b4ff-c30418e09fae Recovery image location: Recovery image index: 0 Custom image location: Custom image index: 0 REAGENTC.EXE: Operation Successful. PS C:\Windows\system32>[/quote] You can then go and delete the recovery partitions not being used. Note that the Reserved number 3 in green above is not shown in Disk Management so (counting from the left) you need to subtract 1 from each partition after C if deleting them through Disk Management.

Another way is to use diskpart again to delete the partitions that are not being used (replace x with the partition number you want to delete).

diskpart
    select disk 0
    list partition
    select partition x
    delete partition override
    <etc>

2. Don't worry about defragmentation. Your SSD is recognized and correct optimization will be performed.

5. Ditendra Win User
    Thank you for the answer. I did things in powershell and this is where I'm now:

Should I deleted those 3 Recovery partitions with 450MB size?
    Also how to check recovery is enabled or no?

Ditendra, Jul 22, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    You can tell which recovery partition is active by running the following command:

reagentc /info

The partition number given will correspond to the partition numbers you get when you run the diskpart command:
    list part.

You can safely delete the recovery partitions that are not active. You can really delete the active recovery partition too, you just then have to boot from a Windows 10 USB flash drive or DVD to get the full functions of the advanced troubleshooting menu, which is what the recovery partition provides.

NavyLCDR, Jul 22, 2017
  7. Ditendra Win User
    Done what u said. Now only thing is that I have 903MB unallocated space. How can I merge it with my main partition (C)? When I right click on C "extend volume" is grayed out.

Ditendra, Jul 22, 2017
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

NavyLCDR, Jul 22, 2017
  9. Ditendra Win User
    Ditendra, Jul 22, 2017
  10. Try3 Win User
    Ditendra, About the defrag SSD part of your question -

That Defragmenter UI runs Task scheduler, Task scheduler library, Microsoft, Windows, Defrag, ScheduledDefrag.

If you look in its Actions tab you will see that it has the arguments -c -h -o -$. The -o argument means Perform the proper optimization for each media type. That ensures that your SSD is treated correctly.

You can see descriptions of most defrag arguments by opening a command window then entering defrag /?
    but the -$ argument is not documented anywhere [I have seen a suggestion that it affects the priority with which the task runs when Task scheduler is being used to start it].

Denis

Thema:

1. 2 Questions about Disk & Defragmentation - Similar Threads - Questions Disk Defragmentation

2. system disk defragmentation

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    system disk defragmentation: MY system drive is 94 % fragmented. used defrag command but it stops after two passes and does not optimize. I am using hp probook 4530s with windows 10 on it . Any help please....
  3. system disk defragmentation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    system disk defragmentation: MY system drive is 94 % fragmented. used defrag command but it stops after two passes and does not optimize. I am using hp probook 4530s with windows 10 on it . Any help please....
  4. Question About Disk Activity

Question About Disk Activity: I am attaching a screenshot of my disk activity as shown in the Performance Monitor. In the picture, the blue and green represent disk activity either read or write. As it shown, the disk activity is high. My problem is that my RAM usage is only 33%. I can't understand why...
  5. Question about disk space

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about disk space: I was notified that I'm running out of disk space, so I went to settings to clear it up. "Apps and features" is taking up 770 GB. I only have a few games installed on steam and a couple video and photo editing apps so how is this possible? I clicked on it and sorted by size...
  6. Disk Defragmentation

Disk Defragmentation: Good Morning, I have a Touchsmart computer with Windows 10 Version 1903. I was doing defragmentation of my computer this morning and ran into the following issue. Never had any problem before. C: Drive D: Drive System System showed 14% fragmented and it would...
  7. Is this disk defragmenter's problem?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is this disk defragmenter's problem?: My disk is 1tb After i merge c drive and ddrive the defragmenter stuck Then i unmerge them the disk defragmenter worked and it didnt stuck Is this the defragmenter problem or the system problem?...
  8. Disk defragmenter stuck

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disk defragmenter stuck: My disk defragmenter stuck on pass 1:55 relocated After a few minute,it reoptimize again https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-defragmenter-stuck/3c86ae80-939d-4aa9-89ed-1ba8f96e7550"
  9. A Question About Disk Activity

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    A Question About Disk Activity: Hey everyone. Just a quick question. When I open the Task Manager and look at the disk graphic in the performance tab, I can see that my main disk (which is an SSD) reads and writes every couple seconds even when I'm not running any programs. Is this normal? I know that...
  10. A Question About Disk Activity

in Windows 10 Support
    A Question About Disk Activity: Hey everyone. Just a quick question. When I open the Task Manager and look at the disk graphic in the performance tab, I can see that my main disk (which is an SSD) reads and writes every couple seconds even when I'm not running any programs. Is this normal? I know that...