Windows 10: 2 Questions regarding the amazing Start Button

Discus and support 2 Questions regarding the amazing Start Button in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've two questions concerning the Start Button; 1) I have Word as an icon on the Taskbar but no way can I find it in the Start Button 2) After... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Maggidon, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Maggidon Win User

2 Questions regarding the amazing Start Button

I've two questions concerning the Start Button;

1) I have Word as an icon on the Taskbar but no way can I find it in the Start Button
    2) After bringing the machine out of Sleep or Hibernate, the Start Button is still up & showing. Is there a way to have that not showing when the unit comes out of S. & H.
    Thanks for any help given!

:)

Maggidon, Aug 7, 2015

2. The Amazing Spiderman 2

Contact chat support. use
    this
    wiki that will help you do that.

Jay_answers, Aug 7, 2015
  3. 2 questions regarding photos.

RobertJ Win andone other helped loads. What I did to resolve this issue was to copy the files to a thumb drive. Then put the stick in the laptop and ... lo and behold the icon popped up asking me what I wanted to do. That and the File Explorer worked
    wonders. Photos are on both sides but that is ok. Wife uses some once in a while.

Thanks to all that gave info and ideas. Being new to W-10 I find that like driving a new car with no key, there is one **** of a learning curve..!!

Bill Lambing

WilliamLambing, Aug 7, 2015
  4. bordi Win User

Type word on search to find it

and just click on an empty space on your desktop for start button to retract

bordi, Aug 7, 2015
  5. Maggidon Win User
    Done that ... Word still doesn't appear. When you say "click on an empty space on your desktop for start button to retract" ... do you mean by "desktop" that all programs should be shrunk down so I can just see the desktop? Please explain.

Maggidon, Aug 7, 2015
  6. YOU
    You Win User
    When the Start menu pops up, click on either an open program or the wallpaper to close it.

7. YOU
    You Win User
    I agree that it's annoying that it shows up when resume from sleep. But a simple click and it's gone.

8. Maggidon Win User

Thanks for the replies. I agree, it's no big deal, but assuming from your replies, I take it there's no way to have it not there when the computer comes out of sleep or hibernate.
    Do any of you know why the Start button never picked up Microsoft Word? I've got Microsoft Notepad but no Word. It's simply not there. I'm wondering if I didn't have it on the Taskbar from Windows 8.1, would I be able to access it at all. Sweet!!!

Maggidon, Aug 7, 2015
  9. YOU
    You Win User
    The shortcut might not have been transferred from r previous OS. Basically, the Start menu is a huge folder of shortcuts to r programs, so this problem is pretty easy to fix. Navigate to Word (probably under C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office), right click Word.exe or a file with a similar name in the EXE format, click Send To > Desktop, rename the shortcut on the desktop to whatever 'd like, then go to the C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs directory ( need to have hidden files enabled, tutorial here: How to see hidden files in Windows 8) and paste in the shortcut to have it as a single item or make a folder called Office and drag it into that folder and Word will show up under the category "Office". I'll guide through it in a few pics (which I'll upload soon).

10. YOU
    You Win User
    2 Questions regarding the amazing Start Button [​IMG]

(the last two pics tie in)

11. How are you waking the system out of sleep and hibernate? For example I use "Esc" on the keyboard (my mouse is disabled from waking the system) and Start is not up when it wakes.

fracking4oil, Aug 7, 2015
  12. lx07 Win User
    I have just installed Office and Word (and other Office applications) appeared under "All Apps" in the letter "M" section in a folder called "Microsoft Office". In 8 the icons were separate but in 10 it seems they are put in a folder.

If you go there you can right click and take the "Pin to Start" option if you like.

13. Maggidon Win User

Thanks for the excellent help. Here's the exciting news. I've suddenly found Office 2013 in File Explorer/ Start Menu / Programs. All of the programs included in Office 2013 are listed here, e.g. Excel 2013 / PowerPoint 2013 / Word 2013 etc.
    I've right clicked on Microsoft Office 2013, then hit the Send to Desktop (Create a Shortcut). I now have that in the Start Button but with only Word in it. I had created a shortcut for Word and copied that back into the Folder where I found Microsoft Office 2013.
    In that Directory, there is Word 2013 & the Word that I just copied into that folder.
    I also have Word (all by itself) in the Start Button and both work. But here's another question. In my Microsoft Office 2013 Directory, I have Excel 2013 / OneNote 2013 / Outlook 2013 / etc.
    But these do not show up under Microsoft Office 2013. When I now go to create a shortcut for these, it says it cannot create the shortcut because the Disk is full. That's hardly true of course because I have several hundred Gigs free. Can you folks please help me further with this?
    As to how I bring the computer out of Sleep or Hibernate, I press the Power Button.

(In the Start Button, when I type in for example, Excel, nothing comes up but web material)

Maggidon, Aug 7, 2015
  14. Bazz Win User
    Yep mine are there also and my office was installed on windows 7.

15. Maggidon Win User
    Super!!! I'm trying to wade through the replies since my last posting. I take it this means there is no real answer for this. Please cancel out most of what I said regarding the Office. A simple reboot did that, meaning Microsoft Office strangely disappeared from the Start Button. The Outlook Tile now takes me to File Manager. The Word tile decided it would work. 2 Questions regarding the amazing Start Button :)

Maggidon, Aug 9, 2015
Thema:

1. 2 Questions regarding the amazing Start Button - Similar Threads - Questions regarding amazing

2. A question regarding BIOS

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    A question regarding BIOS: Hi , Good evening! I am having a problem with my windows 10 bios HP pavilion laptop. My bios doesnt have the advanced tab and whenever i follow a tutorial from google or YouTube it always plays a beep sound. Any help will be appreciated and please tell me how i can unlock the...
  3. Question regarding BSoD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Question regarding BSoD: Hello!whenever I start my laptop, it shows BSoD RTKVHD64.sys and not booting I want to recover my data but the laptop shows the blue screen and it starts again and again but not letting me to have a backup of my data ....
  4. Question regarding BSoD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Question regarding BSoD: Hello!whenever I start my laptop, it shows BSoD RTKVHD64.sys and not booting I want to recover my data but the laptop shows the blue screen and it starts again and again but not letting me to have a backup of my data ....
  5. Question regarding WMIC

in Windows 10 Customization
    Question regarding WMIC: I'm looking to upgrade my laptop RAM ASUS X441BA, so I want to check my capacity first.I typed in on cmd:wmic memphysical get MaxCapacity, MemoryDevices I got the outputMaxCapacity MemoryDevices 4194304 2What does this mean?Do I have 4194304 kilobytes 4.1GB to fit in within 2...
  6. Policy question regarding Start backgrounds

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Policy question regarding Start backgrounds: What are the 20 Start backgrounds that can be forced as a Group Policy? Are these for the start menu itself?A policy exists where if you set a number between 1 and 20, you will get a forced background -- i am curious if this only applies to 'new' user profiles.The policy has...
  7. Policy question regarding Start backgrounds

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Policy question regarding Start backgrounds: What are the 20 Start backgrounds that can be forced as a Group Policy? Are these for the start menu itself?A policy exists where if you set a number between 1 and 20, you will get a forced background -- i am curious if this only applies to 'new' user profiles.The policy has...
  8. Question regarding taskbar

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question regarding taskbar: I currently have a three monitor setup and I only want two taskbar, is it possible to do that in Window? submitted by /u/ToSaKuMiRK [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/krb8o2/question_regarding_taskbar/
  9. 2 part question regarding 2004 and search

in Windows 10 Support
    2 part question regarding 2004 and search: I know MS broke the search feature in Windows Explorer, but I upgraded anyway, thought I could live with it. Now when I search I get this 'banner': [img] When I Click to turn on the index..., I get this: [img] Click this and I get this: [img] Click Turn on index and...
  10. Question Regarding Bluetooth

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Question Regarding Bluetooth: Hi guys. Just a quick question as i can't seem to find an answer on the web. I'm on latest November build for W10 Pro and Bluetooth is automatically on with no option to toggle it on or off. I've turned off the Bluetooth services etc but still it won't go off. Bit unsure why...