Windows 10: 2 win 10 pro laptops cannot see win 10 home desktop on wireless LAN

Discus and support 2 win 10 pro laptops cannot see win 10 home desktop on wireless LAN in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Have set up wireless LAN at home with 1 xp laptop, 2 win 10 Pro laptops and 1 win 10 home desktop. xp laptop not visible to win 10 computers, win 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by rshafersr, Jan 16, 2018.

1. rshafersr Win User

2 win 10 pro laptops cannot see win 10 home desktop on wireless LAN

Have set up wireless LAN at home with 1 xp laptop, 2 win 10 Pro laptops and 1 win 10 home desktop. xp laptop not visible to win 10 computers, win 10 home not visible to 2 laptop Pros. None of the win 10's are allowed to set up homegroup. Desktop is file server for LAN. Would like to know if there is a workaround what ever the problem is to connect all win 10's.

:)

rshafersr, Jan 16, 2018

2. Router RT N66u was unable wireless network after I upgraded desktop computer from win 7 pro to win 10 pro

05/24/16

Router RT N66u was unable wireless network after I upgraded desktop computer from win 7 pro to win 10 pro. LAN network worked fine. All (2 laptops, use win 10, and 4 Roku and phone) wireless device were unable to connect wireless. I tried troubleshooting
    with help of windows 10. It did find that wifi network - not working.

Asus Operator, to whom I call could not fix it. The clerk of Asus support started fixing by changing name and p/w, then recommend to change to new name and p/s - all trays were negative. She tried during 2 hours to fix it and gave up, and recommended to
    return back to win 7.

After I returned by downgraded (by restoring) computer to Windows 7 pro - wireless net started working again immediately.

I'm still want to upgrade to Windows 10 pro. Please advice - what was wrong and how to make router RT N66u compatible with win 10 pro.

Matilda Shafirstan

*** Email address is removed for privacy ***

MatildaShafirstain, Jan 16, 2018
  3. torbar Win User
    Login Error: Windows coulcn't connect to the group policy client

Not sure that these comments will be helpful but are more my experience with the problem.

1. First occurrence on my wife's laptop with Win 8.1 - numerous attempts by Dell to resolve with limited success - error message repeated multiple time over the span of multiple months

2. Upgraded wife's laptop to Win 10 and problem repeated

3. Formatted drive, reinstalled Win 10, did not have Win 10 key, support attempted to resolve the issue and caused further problems, reinstalled Win 10 from a different build and so far Ok

4. Check another laptop (Win 10 Home) and desktop (Win 10 Pro) - did not have the gpsvc keys

5. Error showed on desktop with Win 10 - reinstalled Win 10 Home but wanted Pro - support walked through the upgrade from Home to Pro - upgrade semi-worked but caused numerous other problems - created a later install flash drive that chooses the appropriate
    version (Pro or Home) of Win 10 to install

6. So far problem has been eliminated on wife's laptop and my desktop - 2-3 months - both PCs used 7 days a week

7. Problem surfaced on in-law's desktop (not PC tech savvy) - added gpsvc keys via REGEDIT - worked for 2-3 weeks and in-laws indicate same problem surfaced - have not gone to in-laws (hour drive) to determine problem - did indicate to them that I would
    reinstall Win 10 if it surfaced again.

torbar, Jan 16, 2018
  4. Samuria Win User

Welcome to the forum. Can you ping these by IP? Is it just PC's using wireless that's the problem by default a lot of router's have a setting call user isolation or similar this stops any wireless seeing local PC so if someone breaks in to wireless they can get internet but not attack local PC's

Samuria, Jan 16, 2018
  5. rshafersr Win User
    Am able to ping both directions (from 10 pro to 10 home and vice versa) and can connect both ways from home and pro via TeamViewer. When I open "My Network Places", on the home computer, the laptop pro does not show and the same situation occurs going the opposite direction. Home=ver 1709, OS Build 16299.192. Pro=ver 1709, OS Build 16299.15. The physical locations of the home to pro is approximately 40 feet. I haven't tried moving the pro to the home and connecting with cable.

rshafersr, Jan 17, 2018
  6. I've had this problem on a handful of Windows 10 machines. Make sure Network Discovery is turned on
    on each machine.

mahoneycutt, Jan 17, 2018
  7. Eagle51 Win User
    Hey rshafersr,
    1. You say you can ping the Win10 machines. In File Explorer > Address Bar can you access them by \\PC_NAME or \\IP_ADDRESS
    IF you can you could just map network drive - Map Network Drive in Windows 10 Network Sharing Tutorials

2. To see if you can get the PCs to show in File Explorer > Network ... Check these two services .... Function Discovery Provider Host and Function Discovery Resource Publication. If starting them gets then PCs to show up in File Explorer > Network, then you should change their startup type to automatic if their not already.

3. You may need to check that all PCs are running the same SMB version. In 1709, this is SMBv2, as SMBv1 has been deprecated and may have been uninstalled.
    Win10 Check SMB - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...in-windows-and
    Win10 1709 / SMBv1 - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...r-version-1709

4. FYI ... MS is doing away with HomeGroups and it's already been removed starting in Insider Preview 17063

Eagle51, Jan 17, 2018
  8. rshafersr Win User

checked on pro and both services running but set to manual so changed to automatic. am restarting this laptp to see if it can now see other two win 10's.

rshafersr, Jan 17, 2018
  9. rshafersr Win User
    well, checked all three 10 computers and they are all running the same way on the Discovery Provider and Discovery Resource settings. attempted to contact each unit from the others by trying \\PC_NAME and \\IP_ADDRESS without any luck. in reference to SMB, the processes sound beyond my expertise but i'm gonna see if i can get it done.. results, if any , to follow

rshafersr, Jan 18, 2018
  10. Bree New Member
    Make sure all PCs are set to the same Workgroup.

11. rshafersr Win User
    not having any luck with the Get-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online or any of the other command line tries. i guess i'm bound to do more attempts to understand what it takes to check on SMB services. thanks for the suggestions.

rshafersr, Jan 18, 2018
  12. rshafersr Win User
    Bree:
    each time i try to create a homegroup on any of the three win 10 computers, whether home or pro versions, i get an error pup-up stating i can't create a homegroup on that computer. i've tried the suggestions for possible workarounds for that error none of which have worked.

rshafersr, Jan 18, 2018
  13. Eagle51 Win User

Hey rshafersr,
    I'm sure you already know, but just to be clear .... In File Explorer > Address
    \\PC_NAME - The actual PC name in Settings > System > About (ie. DESKTOP-12345 or LAPTOP-12345)
    \\IP_ADDRESS - The internal IP address (ie. 192.168.0.10 or 192.168.1.10, etc)

Eagle51, Jan 18, 2018
  14. Kbird Win User
    I have read M$ is removing HomeGroups from Win10.....not sure if that is the issue?

do all the computer have passwords and have file sharing enabled on a Private Network?

are they all on the same Workgroup ? look under System ...it can be any name....M$ default is Workgroup

Try turning the SMBv1 Client back on :
    Explorer/Network shown everything except Computer - Windows 10 Forums

and setting one of the PC's (Server on 24/7?) to be the Domain Master and to Maintain a List

Explorer/Network shown everything except Computer - Windows 10 Forums

and be PATIENT SMBv1 can takes hours not minutes to sort itself out and replicate to all computers ...eg leave everything on overnight.. after starting them 1 by 1 , the Server 1st.....

above is working for me currently...

KB

Kbird, Jan 18, 2018
  15. rshafersr Win User
    so, to fix the LAN connection problem between my three computers, i followed the SMB suggestion and found that one of the pro laptops had all three options checked, one pro had two options checked and the home desktop had none checked. i made one of the pros the server and the other two computers as clients and unchecked the auto shut off boxes in all three. that was the answer for my LAN.

i really appreciate all the suggestions and attempts to help me solve my situation. i'm now setting this thread to being solved. setting all the SMB 1.0/CFS check boxes correctly was the solution... *Smile)

rshafersr, Jan 19, 2018
Thema:

1. 2 win 10 pro laptops cannot see win 10 home desktop on wireless LAN - Similar Threads - pro laptops cannot

2. upgrade laptop from win 10 home to win 10 pro

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    upgrade laptop from win 10 home to win 10 pro: upgrade laptop from win 10 home to win 10 pro, my laptop with retail version of win 10 pro died and i wish to transfer reail win 10 pro to replacement laptop that has wn 10 oem home. the key i hqave is only the generic ......3V66T how will microsoft now that i had the...
  3. Win 10 Home to Win 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 10 Home to Win 10 Pro: I have replaced my old laptop with a new one.My old PC had Win 10 Pro free update from Win 7 Pro.The new one has Win 10 Home. I was advised that all I needed to do was to change the product key using the one I had for Win 7 and it would update to the Pro version. This did...
  4. Win 10 Home to Win 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 10 Home to Win 10 Pro: I have replaced my old laptop with a new one.My old PC had Win 10 Pro free update from Win 7 Pro.The new one has Win 10 Home. I was advised that all I needed to do was to change the product key using the one I had for Win 7 and it would update to the Pro version. This did...
  5. Win 10 Home to Win 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
  6. Upgrade Win 10 Home desktop to Win 10 Pro model

Upgrade Win 10 Home desktop to Win 10 Pro model: How can we get the OS changed from Win 10 Home From original HP Desktop with preloaded os to Win 10 pro desktop and that to that should be 100 % genuine. Any part no. of Microsoft to best fit this requirement. Suggest plz....
  7. Win 10 Pro to Win 10 Home

Win 10 Pro to Win 10 Home: I have an old PC loaded with Win 10 Pro. As I cannot increase the RAM on this PC, I'd like to move to Win 10 Home. Is it possible with this license? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-10-pro-to-win-10-home/090c2436-3600-4f0d-8068-55f8030bddfe
  8. Win 10 and Win 7 laptops suddenly cannot see home WiFi, but can see others Part 2

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Win 10 and Win 7 laptops suddenly cannot see home WiFi, but can see others Part 2: Greetings everyone I came across this problem Jan/Feb 2020. I searched the forum and found that somebody posted this problem back in 2017. The solution to that question wasn't clear, at least to solve my problem. What I subsequently found and the way I sorted the problem is...
  9. Win 10 laptop cannot find Win 8.1 desktop on home network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Win 10 laptop cannot find Win 8.1 desktop on home network: Have tried to describe this in Win 8 forum as well because I don't know if it's a Win 8 or Win 10 matter. On 2/22 I did a reinstall of Win 8.1 on a HP 1504 desktop to allow install of NET 4.8. Previously that desktop, a Win 10 HP laptop & a Win 7 Toshiba laptop could all...
  10. Win 10 Home to Win 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 Home to Win 10 Pro: I upgraded my Win 8.1 into a Win 10 Home but it is not working properly. Does anyone can help me out how to find a free (and sound!) Win Pro for a clean install? 20601