Windows 10: 2 workstations of a single pc

Discus and support 2 workstations of a single pc in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; My goal is to have one PC with 2 completely independent users on it...I'm talking about having 2 keyboards/mice, GPU pass through etc. would it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by Joshy, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Joshy Win User

2 workstations of a single pc

My goal is to have one PC with 2 completely independent users on it...I'm talking about having 2 keyboards/mice, GPU pass through etc.
    would it possible to have a windows 10 host and using hyper v create a W10 VM with GPU pass through?

:)

Joshy, Feb 25, 2018

2. Something Went Wrong Setup Cannot Validate the Product Key

Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro repeatedly fails with the message 'Cannot Validate the Product Key'.

This is a Dell T1700 Workstation with Win7 Pro SP1 OEM.

I never did get the notice to reserve a copy but I understand from the forums that is because this workstation is on our company domain.

I am the company owner with full admin rights trying to install on a single workstation to check compatability with software to know if I can order new PC's with W10Pro.

I have tried this download website:

Download Windows 10

I have tried installing from the media creation tool.

I have disabled AV.

I have even tried installing while not connected to the domain.

Always the same failure.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Paul

kollinaltomarearchitects, Feb 25, 2018
  3. Update KB4016871 (OS Build 15063.296 and 15063.297)

Hi All,

I wanted to see if anyone else is having issues with the latest Windows 10 Update.

(2017-05 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4016871))

I use WSUS to push updates to 70+ workstations (All HP) and just approved this update for installation.

24 hrs after the approval 2 workstation applied the Update and rendered the PC unusable.

The workstations become extremely slow to login to profiles and the desktop just kept freezing. I was forced to revert to a restore point to recover it.

I'm in the process to looking at the Event Logs to see what happned, but my biggest problem is that the WSUS Server pushed the update out to all workstations and their waiting for the scheduled restart to finish. I'm worried that this will kill a lot of
    workstations.

Regards,

FastwayMelbourne, Feb 25, 2018
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there.
    @Joshy

The great thing about VM's is that users can have access without needing access at all on the Host. As for GPU passthru I don't know enough about HYPER-V but each VM is treated as a separate physical machine anyway.

What you though need is to be able to run these in the background --otherwise when YOU logoff the host the VM's will be shut down too.

This is why if you really want to do this I'd run a LINUX server as host and run the Windows VM's from that. Then you've got no problems as the Linux can run totally headless and doesn't need anybody actually logged on to it to serve the VM's.

Problem with HYPER-V of course also is sound is a dog to get working efficiently, as is USB access etc so IMO unless you just want the VM's for bog standard "Officy" type stuff I'd go for VMWARE or VBOX.

Using RDP (which you'd need for HYPER-V) also for multi-media etc especially if users have large monitors is a real pain as it's slow. Note also for what you have in mind you'd need a decent multi-monitor set up. The VM's can have their own mice and keyboard but you need then to have the VM's in the background running preferably from a server.

ESXI is another possibility - although setting that up is really out of scope for this discussion. IMO unless you have a Windows server I'd run your VM's from Linux (both VMware and VBOX work fine) and you then can just leave the whole thing up and running. Also another irritant with using a bog standard version of Windows (i.e a non server version) is that you sometimes get updates or prompts requiring input which makes running it headless a problem and you don't want VM users to get kicked off because Windows decides it wants to do an update.

Another idea is to set up your own VPN so each user gets a Windows desktop -- bit more complex -- there's programs out there like OPENVPN which you could use.

Plenty of choice to do this -- businesses do this type of thing every day --anybody who's ever remotely logged on to a corporate machine via a VPN is probably being routed via a Virtual Windows desktop on a corporate server.

The other question is how will your users access the VM's -- from their own laptops etc. If they logon to the host then you've got a problem as Windows (non server version) can't run more than one concurrent user (i.e more than 1 at the same time) and they'd need an account on the Host machine too . You also couldn't be on the machine if either of these users were on it.

That's why I'd look for the Linux server solution / OPEN VPN solution - although VM's in the background can work on Windows - but you still have the single user issue with Windows 10 (or any non server version).

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 27, 2018
Thema:

1. 2 workstations of a single pc - Similar Threads - workstations single

2. Problem with Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00 on Windows 11 workstations

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00 on Windows 11 workstations: Hello,Suddenly one after the other our Windows 11 workstations, members of corporate domain, that have been in normal use for a couple of years, started failing with the symptom of the taskbar turning gray, losing all its icons and popping up a message complaining about...
  3. Problem with Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00 on Windows 11 workstations

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem with Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00 on Windows 11 workstations: Hello,Suddenly one after the other our Windows 11 workstations, members of corporate domain, that have been in normal use for a couple of years, started failing with the symptom of the taskbar turning gray, losing all its icons and popping up a message complaining about...
  4. Can you use media creation tool to install windows 11 for workstations?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can you use media creation tool to install windows 11 for workstations?: Can Microsoft Media Creation Tool be used to install Windows 11 for workstations? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-you-use-media-creation-tool-to-install-windows/f728836e-0f09-4f51-b31c-e7ae6abcc008
  5. Can you use media creation tool to install windows 11 for workstations?

Can you use media creation tool to install windows 11 for workstations?: Can Microsoft Media Creation Tool be used to install Windows 11 for workstations? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-you-use-media-creation-tool-to-install-windows/f728836e-0f09-4f51-b31c-e7ae6abcc008
  6. How to install Kali Linux on VMWare Workstation

in Windows 10 News
    How to install Kali Linux on VMWare Workstation: [IMG]VMWare Workstation is a reliable platform that helps you run Kali Linux seamlessly. This opens a world of possibilities for security testing, penetration testing, and learning about cybersecurity tools and techniques. In this article, we will guide you through the...
  7. Preventing a Work or School account from being added to a Windows 11 workstation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Preventing a Work or School account from being added to a Windows 11 workstation: I'm not trying to remove an account; I've seen a LOT of posts regarding how to remove an account, but not how to then PREVENT someone from adding a Work or School accounts under Settings Accounts. I'm the Global Administrator in my organization and have a shared desktop that...
  8. How to revert back to Windows 11 Home Single Language from Windows 11 Pro for Workstation?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to revert back to Windows 11 Home Single Language from Windows 11 Pro for Workstation?: I unknowingly entered a product key of Windows 11 Pro for Workstation which I have forgotten now, after which it is showing that windows is not activated. On troubleshooting, it show that I have digital licences of Windows 11 Home Single Language on my laptop, and I need to...
  9. How to revert back to Windows 11 Home Single Language from Windows 11 Pro for Workstation?

How to revert back to Windows 11 Home Single Language from Windows 11 Pro for Workstation?: I unknowingly entered a product key of Windows 11 Pro for Workstation which I have forgotten now, after which it is showing that windows is not activated. On troubleshooting, it show that I have digital licences of Windows 11 Home Single Language on my laptop, and I need to...
  10. Scanner services in single workstation always showing above 30 %

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Scanner services in single workstation always showing above 30 %: Scanner services in single workstation always showing above 30 % https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/scanner-services-in-single-workstation-always/b97f6d8f-9168-4780-afef-a9241bf7a0b7