Windows 10: 2 x Windows 10, dual boot ?

Discus and support 2 x Windows 10, dual boot ? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello everyone, Just want to ask if it's possible to have 2 x Windows 10, dual boot. Would that be possible, at all ? If yes, could i rename one of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Sinx, Nov 3, 2017.

1. Sinx Win User

2 x Windows 10, dual boot ?

Hello everyone,
    Just want to ask if it's possible to have 2 x Windows 10, dual boot. Would that be possible, at all ?
    If yes, could i rename one of them, or both, the way i want ?
    For example, when i select the OS, it should appear something like

" Windows 10 gaming "
    " Windows 10 testing only "

Thank you in advance.

:)

Sinx, Nov 3, 2017
  2. gscosta Win User

Dual Boot Change from Windows 8.1 & 7 to Windows 10 & 7

I have a dual boot Windows 8.1 and Windows 7.

(1) Is it possible to have a triple boot Windows 10, Windows 8.1 and Windows 7?

(2) If not, can I just upgrade the Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 to have a dual boot Windows 10 and Windows 7? Or do I have to do the normal dual boot set-up?

gscosta, Nov 3, 2017
  3. Sumit Dhiman2, Nov 3, 2017
  4. 2 x Windows 10, dual boot ?

Hi,
    I suppose so I use 2 different ssd's with fall creators on one and regular creators on the other
    I use one of these to make it so only one os at a time is live so no violation of terms of use is technically happening meaning one license/ one install.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ThrashZone, Nov 3, 2017
  5. Superfly Win User
    Changing the Friendly Name of a Boot Entry | Microsoft Docs

Not quite... that's the same as a VM... it's still on the same machine.. but it's technicalities that's insignificant, IMHO.

Superfly, Nov 3, 2017
  6. cereberus Win User
    We get this a lot.

At what point are we as a reputable forum obligated to tell a user that using two installs with one licence is against EULA, and user needs a new licence?

MS created the issue with intro of digital licences - how do you use a second licence anyway as 2nd install activates automatically?

A user could enter a second key in change product key to comply with EULA, but this is absurd if it is activated automatically anyway.

It is perfectly legal to uninstall one version, then reinstall other version to flop flop between them. All dual booting does is allow you to flip flop without ridiculous hassle of intalling/uninstalling.

It is high time MS changed EULA to say "One licence means you can only have one instance of Windows active at any one time". So HOST+VM on one licence is not permissible, but dual boot is.

I think as a forum we are being responsible by saying dual booting will work ok, but it is strictly against EULA, and leave it to user's moral conscience thereafter. It is not as if we are recommending piracy.

We are not MS policemen, and are simply stating facts, and even responsibly warning user accordingly.

cereberus, Nov 3, 2017
  7. Superfly Win User
    Yep, been that way since when... if MS allows it technically, no need for us to stress.

They should enforce validation their side of the EULA T&C's.

Superfly, Nov 3, 2017
  8. Wynona Win User

I dual boot with this machine. When I joined the Insiders Program at the very beginning, there was no requirement that I use a Windows 7/8.x license. I just had to join the program. So, I was dual booting with Windows 7 and Windows 10 Insider Program.

Fast forward to when the first RTM came out, I upgraded from Windows 7 Home OEM to Windows 10 RTM, then used my Windows 8.1 key to "keep myself honest" and to upgrade Windows 10 Home to Pro.

So, now I have Windows 10 Pro Fall Creators Update and Windows 10 Insider (beta). I am quite sure I'm totally legal, since one is a beta and the other is the full blown commercial OS that I actually used two keys for (7 Home & 8.1 Pro), if you want to get downright technical about it. *Smile

Just my two cents' worth. After all, I'm doing Microsoft a favor by participating in the beta. And I upgraded to RTM quite legally. So . . .

Wynona, Nov 3, 2017
  9. Wynona Win User
    Maybe a case can be made that it's the same OS; however, for me, that doesn't even seem close.

If I'm not mistaken, Microsoft has given me a "license" to Preview Windows 10 as an Insider. Secondly, I used my OEM key and upgraded from Home to Pro by using my Windows 8.1 key. So, it looks to me like I'm perfectly legal.

Wynona, Nov 3, 2017
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    I would say that we have no obligation to provide that information until such time as the poster in question provides information in the post that they intend to violate the EULA. I see nothing in the OP of this thread to indicate the OP intends to violate the EULA. We don't know how many licenses for Windows 10 they have. All they asked was if they could dual boot two different installs of Windows 10. The answer to that is YES. You can set up dual booting on two different partitions on the same drive, you can set up dual booting on two separate physical drives. You can set up "dual booting" running one inside a VM hosted by the other.

Now, if the OP asked, "I have Windows 7 and an upgrade to Windows 10 that came from the Windows 7 and I want to dual both of them now." That is indication the OP intends to violate the EULA and we have to tell them we aren't supposed to help them do that.

NavyLCDR, Nov 4, 2017
  11. cereberus Win User
    My point is that even if a user tries to do it legally, due to digital licence activation, the second install (if same edition) activates automatically i.e. MS have created the very non compliance situation.

cereberus, Nov 4, 2017
  12. CarlSD Win User
    Here's a post I made regarding dual booting the same copy of Windows 10 back in April last year:

Multiple windows 10 copies. Solved - Page 3 - Windows 10 Forums

I don't know if anything has changed regarding licensing since I made that post but I suspect the results would probably still be the same today (I haven't tried it again since then).

CarlSD, Nov 4, 2017
  13. Kari Win User

In this time of political correctness, I want first state following:
    • I am no authority, I do not know the official Microsoft stand regarding this topic
    • There's no official information available on this topic
    • Not bragging, just stating a fact, I've found no better explanation for this on Internet than what I have posted a few times on Ten Forums
    Having said that, here's a quote of one recent post of mine regarding multi boot scenarios and digital licensing:

Windows EULA is still from time before digital licensing was introduced. Its wording and phrasing has not been changed to cover digital licensing, EULA as it is only covering scenarios before digital licensing where each Windows installation had to be separately activated with a product key or a volume licensing key.

Digital licensing only accepts one product key per edition; if you have an activated and digitally licensed Windows 10 PRO on your PC and you setup another instance of W10 PRO in dual boot, it will be automatically activated based on the digital license of first installation. If you in your efforts to remain completely in accordance to EULA change the product key in second installation, replacing the one it got automatically due digital licensing with another product key, the machine's digital license will be changed and also the original, first installation will from here on use the new product key.

Currently, Windows 10 does only accept one product key per edition on same machine, all dual / multi boot additional installations of the same edition using the same digital license and becoming automatically activated as soon as they have been installed and Windows has connected to Internet.

Based on above, I think it is totally OK to install same edition of Windows 10 to a digitally licensed PC and use it without any worries about going against EULA which quite clearly does not cover digital license scenarios. I have tried to use official channels to get this clarified, having contacted both Microsoft and The Software Alliance (where MS is a founding member) directly and indirectly. I have received no answers.

Open letter to Microsoft and The Software Alliance I posted on Twitter in January:

14. NavyLCDR New Member
    Yes, you are absolutely correct. At this time, Microsoft has tossed about 90% of EULA enforcement out the Window. About the only time the product key is checked in Windows 10 is if it is a very first install or very first upgrade to Windows 10 of that edition on the computer. After that, if the user wants to install 10 copies on the same computer, all 10 are going to be activated with a digital license, even if they manually enter 10 different product keys and it's completely on the user's honor to comply with the EULA.

NavyLCDR, Nov 4, 2017
  15. cereberus Win User
    Anomalies are even more wide ranging e.g. you can activate clean install of Windows 10 with a Windows 7/8 upgrade key. Yet same key would not upgrade 7/8.

Nowhere in EULA, does it say if this is legal or not. I take the view MS have to either stop it working, or specifically exclude that.

There are other anomalies, but I cannot discuss those here as that would be infringing forum rules.

In the end, the EULA is basically unenforceable legalese, and I reckon a good lawyer could drive a lorry through its holes.

In the end, I do not think MS give a toss about EULA compliance, so long as you use Windows 10. This is further substantiated by the fact there does not appear to be any time limit anymore to run unactivated.

cereberus, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. 2 x Windows 10, dual boot ? - Similar Threads - dual boot

2. MS tech can't fix my Win 11 problem - can I set up dual boot and will I have access to all...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MS tech can't fix my Win 11 problem - can I set up dual boot and will I have access to all...: Problem - tiny text at top of screen and all popups.Spent over 7 hrs with 8 different MS Win 11 tech people and problem not solved.Would like to set up dual boot to Linux - if so, will I have access to all my files AND programs?If Linux solves the problem, can I then delete...
  3. MS tech can't fix my Win 11 problem - can I set up dual boot and will I have access to all...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MS tech can't fix my Win 11 problem - can I set up dual boot and will I have access to all...: Problem - tiny text at top of screen and all popups.Spent over 7 hrs with 8 different MS Win 11 tech people and problem not solved.Would like to set up dual boot to Linux - if so, will I have access to all my files AND programs?If Linux solves the problem, can I then delete...
  4. Remove failed install dual boot kali linux with Windows11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remove failed install dual boot kali linux with Windows11: I tried installing Kali Linux as dual boot, however there were several AMDGPU errors i could not fix, even in the recovery mode. I decided I will go for another linux as dual boot next to Windows 11 at a later stage. First I would like to remove that partition, including all...
  5. Remove failed install dual boot kali linux with Windows11

Remove failed install dual boot kali linux with Windows11: I tried installing Kali Linux as dual boot, however there were several AMDGPU errors i could not fix, even in the recovery mode. I decided I will go for another linux as dual boot next to Windows 11 at a later stage. First I would like to remove that partition, including all...
  6. Deleting windows 10 in dual boot and merge back partition

Deleting windows 10 in dual boot and merge back partition: Hello I need help. I have a HP laptop with 500 gb hard drive. So i created two partitions of that 500 gb hard drive with AOEMI partition assistant and both are GPT partitions. In the first partition C: i installed windows 11 and in the second one i installed Windows 10 which...
  7. Deleting windows 10 in dual boot and merge back partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleting windows 10 in dual boot and merge back partition: Hello I need help. I have a HP laptop with 500 gb hard drive. So i created two partitions of that 500 gb hard drive with AOEMI partition assistant and both are GPT partitions. In the first partition C: i installed windows 11 and in the second one i installed Windows 10 which...
  8. Dual boot option not showing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dual boot option not showing: Have Windows 7 and installed now istalled windows 10 on seperate drive but DUAL BOOT Option not showing help pleaseBoth drives show in BIOS and if changed in BIOS can boot to each OS But...I need option on start up of selecting the OS.Asus Mobo windows 7 on 500gb SSD and...
  9. Dual boot option not showing

Dual boot option not showing: Have Windows 7 and installed now istalled windows 10 on seperate drive but DUAL BOOT Option not showing help pleaseBoth drives show in BIOS and if changed in BIOS can boot to each OS But...I need option on start up of selecting the OS.Asus Mobo windows 7 on 500gb SSD and...
  10. Dual boot option not showing

in Windows 10 Customization