Windows 10: 256 Character Limit still exists on Windows 10?

Discus and support 256 Character Limit still exists on Windows 10? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Guys, does the 256 character limit still exist on Windows 10? I love organizing my folders and sub-folders and sub-sub-folders and organizing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by RealJustMe, Oct 8, 2017.

1. 256 Character Limit still exists on Windows 10?

Guys, does the 256 character limit still exist on Windows 10?

I love organizing my folders and sub-folders and sub-sub-folders and organizing everything deeply, and I always had the 256 character limit as a major pain in the ass, forcing me to shorten folder names and stuff and waste time.

Does that limitation still exist in Windows 10?

Thanks

:)

RealJustMe, Oct 8, 2017
  2. Rohn007 Win User

Win 10 Home - File Name would be too long

Windows has a 256 character limit on the file name and all folder names. Does the combination of the new folder and file names, plus the folders you are adding it to add up to more than 256 char?

Rohn007, Oct 8, 2017
  3. "file name too long"

Generally speaking there is a 256 character limit to the entire path file name. Usually "too long" errors result from deeply nested folders.

There is a work around but frankly it is more complicated than un-nesting the folders.

I would Google 256 character path limit workaround

Care to tell us more about the issue?

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Oct 8, 2017
  4. 256 Character Limit still exists on Windows 10?

FreeBooter, Oct 8, 2017
  5. Thanks man. I'll check it out when my new lap top arrives in a day or two. I can't wait *Smile

RealJustMe, Oct 8, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Oct 8, 2017
  7. So here I am trying to deal with this.

I tried this tutorial, however, when I get here:

"In the Local Group Policy Editor, in the left-hand pane, drill down to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Filesystem. On the right, find the “Enable win32 long paths” item and double-click it."

The Filesystem doesn't exist for me. I don't have it. So I can't complete the tutorial.

RealJustMe, Oct 12, 2017
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

256 Character Limit still exists on Windows 10?

Brink, Oct 12, 2017
  9. Let me ask you something, it will save me time from doing this, and you would know the answer.

Basically the only reason I want this is because I love to organize things in folders, sub-folders, and more sub-folders and sub-folders, and then some.

So will this fix allow me to create a folder in a folder in a folder etc etc etc and cross the 256 char limit?

RealJustMe, Oct 12, 2017
  10. Okay, I tried it. Doesn't work.

256 Character Limit still exists on Windows 10? [​IMG]

I'll try a restart and see if it works then.

RealJustMe, Oct 12, 2017
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    I'm afraid this is for path, not file name.

Brink, Oct 12, 2017
  12. So... I can't do what I want then? *Smile

RealJustMe, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

256 Character Limit still exists on Windows 10?

1. 256 Character Limit still exists on Windows 10? - Similar Threads - 256 Character Limit

2. 256 Character Limit

in Windows 10 Gaming
    256 Character Limit: Hi...we're running Server 2016 for a law office and running into the character limit issue. The problem is that by law we are NOT allowed to change the file paths or names. Since files can be multiple folders deep, this becomes an issue. We have tried everything but cannot...
  3. 256 Character Limit

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    256 Character Limit: Hi...we're running Server 2016 for a law office and running into the character limit issue. The problem is that by law we are NOT allowed to change the file paths or names. Since files can be multiple folders deep, this becomes an issue. We have tried everything but cannot...
  4. How to limit computer name characters in answer file? For example a limitation of 8 characters

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to limit computer name characters in answer file? For example a limitation of 8 characters: I want to limit the number of characters of Computer Name from 15 to 8 characters in answer file https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-limit-computer-name-characters-in-answer/986deac8-279f-4115-8b15-a0c8b6887b1c
  5. Sticky Notes - Is there a character limit?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sticky Notes - Is there a character limit?: Is there a size or character limit for the sticky notes app, or is it unlimited?Additionally, when notes are saved, will they automatically be downloaded on a new device if you synced the notes on a Microsoft account? Where are the notes saved on cloud? Do they appear in your...
  6. Sticky Notes - Is there a character limit?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sticky Notes - Is there a character limit?: Is there a size or character limit for the sticky notes app, or is it unlimited?Additionally, when notes are saved, will they automatically be downloaded on a new device if you synced the notes on a Microsoft account? Where are the notes saved on cloud? Do they appear in your...
  7. Windows 10 Max path of 256 characters.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Max path of 256 characters.: I have tried again today to lift this restriction on Windows, but to no avail. None of the two methods posted here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/fileio/maximum-file-path-limitation seems to be working. neither the method through the gpedit tool. Is...
  8. Is Windows 10 limited to 256 colours while unregistered?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Is Windows 10 limited to 256 colours while unregistered?: I've recently configured my Apple Mac Pro to dual-boot with Windows 10. I'd done this a couple of times before (with a Mac Mini + Win7) and in the past it all went pretty smoothly. The Mac Pro is a much more powerful machine and offers AMD FirePro D300 GPUs (Display...
  9. FTP.exe password character limit

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    FTP.exe password character limit: Hi, While trying to login to our Azure Web App FTP using the preinstalled ftp.exe as part of Windows we found out that the passwords which are being generated by Microsoft Azure are too long to use with the ftp.exe command line application. In Azure you can create an...
  10. Bitlocker password 256 characters breaks unlocking

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bitlocker password 256 characters breaks unlocking: Hello I've run into a little problem with bitlocker password length. Somewhere I read that you can use up to 256 characters for the recovery password so I generated such a password via keepass. The bitlocker UI obviously had no problem with this. After restarting the system...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. does the 256 character limit still apply for microsoft