Windows 10: 2nd Internal HDD Disappears after Restart

Discus and support 2nd Internal HDD Disappears after Restart in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I am Having an Issue, I have a 120 GB SSD as my Primary Drive and a 2 TB secondary HDD, Everything works fine if I Turn the machine on, but if I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Drakkhis, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Drakkhis Win User

2nd Internal HDD Disappears after Restart

I am Having an Issue, I have a 120 GB SSD as my Primary Drive and a 2 TB secondary HDD, Everything works fine if I Turn the machine on, but if I restart the machine my 2nd HDD (the 2TB one) disappears from Windows. I have to Shut Down ans power back up to get it back.
    Dell Optiplex 7010 Motherboard with a Intel(R) 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller

The Drives are

TS120GSS D220SP (120GB SSD)

Hitachi_HUA722020ALA330_J (2TB HDD) (This is the Drive thet is not seen after Restarting)

Controller is set to AHCI
    I am Running Windows 10 64bit Pro on a UEFI Boot.
    Yes the device is seen in the BIOS after a restart.
    I have Tried with Secure Boot Enabled and disables, and Legacy Boot Enabled and Disabled.
    I have tried Swapping the SATA Port of the DVD Drive and the HDD, and still the same Issue, No HDD (but in both cases it does see the DVD drive) so I don't think its a hardware issue.

:)

Drakkhis, Feb 27, 2017
  2. mbal5c Win User

2nd Internal HDD Disappears after update Windows 10 Insider Preview 17074.1002 (rs_prerelease_flt)

this is screenshot disk management, my 2nd HDD is 1TB

2nd Internal HDD Disappears after Restart [​IMG]

mbal5c, Feb 27, 2017
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    2nd Internal HDD Disappears after update Windows 10 Insider Preview 17074.1002 (rs_prerelease_flt)

Hi mbal5c,

Open Disk Management (accessible by right clicking your Start Button)

Please provide a screenshot of that window . . .

DaveM121, Feb 27, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

You could try disabling fast start-up. Not really useful as you have a SSD.

2nd Internal HDD Disappears after Restart [​IMG]

dalchina, Feb 27, 2017
  5. Drakkhis Win User
    Tried disabling fast boot. No success, have also tried uninstalling the drivers for the drive and restarting. Still no sucess.

Drakkhis, Feb 27, 2017
  6. Drakkhis Win User
    found a Solution, I uninstalled and deleted the Controller Drivers, and rebooted into Safe Mode and let Windows re install the default Controller Drivers. It seems to have fixed the issue.

Thank Your for The Help.

Drakkhis, Feb 27, 2017
  7. dalchina New Member
    Good- a bit unusual...

Hmm, I think you're saying either you had installed particular drivers manually, and now they are as supplied by the OS, or that Windows had presumably updated them and that led to the problem.

Anyway, point is if you don't want that driver updated, you need to protect it e.g.
    Driver Updates in Windows Update - Enable or Disable in Windows 10

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. 2nd Internal HDD Disappears after Restart - Similar Threads - 2nd Internal HDD

2. Backup on 2nd INTERNAL HDD spinner

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Backup on 2nd INTERNAL HDD spinner: I have 2 internal physical HDDs equally sized. Internal physical HDD #1 drive c:\ is for the Windows OS and existing programs etc. Drive #2, is the 2nd internal physical HDD drive E:\ is for Windows backups/restore points. I was hoping to also backup my personal data/files on...
  3. Backup on 2nd INTERNAL HDD spinner

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Backup on 2nd INTERNAL HDD spinner: I have 2 internal physical HDDs equally sized. Internal physical HDD #1 drive c:\ is for the Windows OS and existing programs etc. Drive #2, is the 2nd internal physical HDD drive E:\ is for Windows backups/restore points. I was hoping to also backup my personal data/files on...
  4. Backup on 2nd INTERNAL HDD spinner

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Unable to see 2nd internal HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to see 2nd internal HDD: After a failed game installation from steam in to my PC, I am now unable to see my 2nd internal HDD at all in 'This PC'. I did encounter multiple disk check during reboot and also went through with it, however, now I am unable to see it/access the drive....
  6. Unable to see 2nd internal HDD

Unable to see 2nd internal HDD: After a failed game installation from steam in to my PC, I am now unable to see my 2nd internal HDD at all in 'This PC'. I did encounter multiple disk check during reboot and also went through with it, however, now I am unable to see it/access the drive....
  7. Internal HDD disappearing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Internal HDD disappearing: Recently, I upgraded my GPU and had my PC cleaned. After that my internal HDD just randomly disappears and reappears after shutting down. It happens if it's been off for hours or while I'm using my PC. It only happens to my "D:" drive. I also checked my disk management when...
  8. Internal HDD disappearing

Internal HDD disappearing: Recently, I upgraded my GPU and had my PC cleaned. After that my internal HDD just randomly disappears and reappears after shutting down. It happens if it's been off for hours or while I'm using my PC. It only happens to my "D:" drive. I also checked my disk management when...
  9. Internal HDD disappearing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  10. PC Internal HDD randomly restarts.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    PC Internal HDD randomly restarts.: So I have been having this problem for the past few months. My HDD just randomly restarts. I know when it restarts due to the high pitched spin-up sound heard when I turn on my PC. This happens both on my Windows 10 Pro and Fedora 28 Workstation. On Linux it is not a big...