Windows 10: 3 External Drives load Explorer at Startup

Discus and support 3 External Drives load Explorer at Startup in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; A friend has 3 external drives attached to his laptop while a current project is progressing these days. After a restart or a shutdown/start the three... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Rose W, Mar 27, 2018.

1. Rose W Win User

3 External Drives load Explorer at Startup

A friend has 3 external drives attached to his laptop while a current project is progressing these days. After a restart or a shutdown/start the three drives will have an explorer window open. They will continue to reopen if the X close button is clicked immediately.
    Eventually these windows do close but what is stimulating the drives to have windows explorer be starting?
    Explorer is not listed in the Startup Menu (in Taskmanage)
    I haven't had a reply regarding the restoring previous folder explorer setting
    The 3 external drives are on a hub which plugs into the laptop usb3 port. This arrangement is only for this project of transferring photo files and it will not be a future setup so if there isn't a workaround or a solution this unusual start up routine will be handled until the 3 drives are no longer needed.

:)

Rose W, Mar 27, 2018
  2. efi38 Win User

Slow loading of a drive by file expolorer.

I cloned my system drive to an external USB 3.0 HDD.

After cloning:

If the external HDD is connected before boot (not as the boot drive) there is no problem.

If it is connected after the boot the file explorer enters a very long loading (as seen by the green band).

A mouse click of the icon of the HDD during the load causes the system to enter "Non responding" state.

After the long loading, next connection of the external HDD while the system is running does not cause that long loading.

I stopped the "windows search" service and the indexing on that HDD, it didn't help.

efi38, Mar 27, 2018
  3. File Explorer closes after directory loads

This only happens with one partition. That partition is on an external drive with multiple partitions. File Explorer works correctly on all other partitions, on both internal and external drives.

File Explorer works correctly on the backup partition. I have restored from the backup partiton (backed up when File Explorer worked correctly on that partition) and it still closes after the directory loads.

Does anyone have any ideas?

russell t_0823, Mar 27, 2018
  4. simrick Win User

Hi.
    Check and see if the AutoPlay is set to open File Explorer whenever it detects an external storage of some kind.

3 External Drives load Explorer at Startup [​IMG]

simrick, Mar 27, 2018
Thema:

1. 3 External Drives load Explorer at Startup - Similar Threads - External Drives load

2. External Harddrive locking up Explorer on startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Harddrive locking up Explorer on startup: Good afternoon,I experiencing an issue where if I boot up Windows with my external harddrive connected Seagate Onetouch 6TB, then go to file explorer, it'll hang indefinitely while trying to navigate files. If I unplug the hardrive it'll instantly unfreeze and act as it...
  3. External Harddrive locking up Explorer on startup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External Harddrive locking up Explorer on startup: Good afternoon,I experiencing an issue where if I boot up Windows with my external harddrive connected Seagate Onetouch 6TB, then go to file explorer, it'll hang indefinitely while trying to navigate files. If I unplug the hardrive it'll instantly unfreeze and act as it...
  4. external drive makes pc slow on startup

external drive makes pc slow on startup: when I turn on the pc with a specific hard drive my pc takes forever to start up google and discord I've tried changing cables, deleting a few things and the drive is not even half full but when I connect drive #2 it works fine, I'm not sure what it is or what caused this...
  5. External Hard Drive Not Appearing in Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Hard Drive Not Appearing in Explorer: Hello -I am trying to access an external hard drive, which is not appearing in explorer. Following some other guides, I am able to see it both under disk management and system > storage > disks and volumes. It is showing up as "Disk 2" and does not have a letter name which I...
  6. External Hard Drive Not Appearing in Explorer

External Hard Drive Not Appearing in Explorer: Hello -I am trying to access an external hard drive, which is not appearing in explorer. Following some other guides, I am able to see it both under disk management and system > storage > disks and volumes. It is showing up as "Disk 2" and does not have a letter name which I...
  7. 3 TB Toshiba external hard drive .

3 TB Toshiba external hard drive .: 3 TB Toshiba external hard drive . Lights up when connected with the computer then shuts off The light not the drive . Troubleshooting says device cannot start code 10 . Then , problem with the driver. Says I have best driver . Tried reinstall . Reinstall fail all the time ....
  8. 3 TB Toshiba external hard drive .

in Windows 10 Gaming
    3 TB Toshiba external hard drive .: 3 TB Toshiba external hard drive . Lights up when connected with the computer then shuts off The light not the drive . Troubleshooting says device cannot start code 10 . Then , problem with the driver. Says I have best driver . Tried reinstall . Reinstall fail all the time ....
  9. External drive not showing in Explorer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External drive not showing in Explorer: Windows10 l have plugged a fairly new Samsung 1TB external drive into two different computers but it doesn’t show up in File Explorer or Disk Management. The blue indicator is lit on the drive. When I click the icon on the status bar, it shows Eject Samsung M3 Portable....
  10. File Explorer Not Showing External "A" Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer Not Showing External "A" Drive: I plugged an external "A" drive into my computer via a USB port with File Explorer open. The "A" drive shows up, but only for about 2 seconds and then it goes away. I changed USB ports and it does the same. I checked Device Manager under "Floppy Drives" and it shows the "A"...