Windows 10: 3 Questions about the i5 Processor for Gaming

Discus and support 3 Questions about the i5 Processor for Gaming in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; And so are many with Intel, me for instance. My pet peeve with Intel, locked processors, I love OC. Expensive, just because they can. Changing sockets... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by ruzzi, Apr 18, 2016.

1. kipper Win User

3 Questions about the i5 Processor for Gaming

All excellent points Count.......

I have reviewed a good number of boards from both camps........overclocking each processor for every review and I had far fewer problems with the goods from AMD by far......

When you consider the cost you just cannot turn a blind eye towards the processors from AMD.....paired with a good board you will have a solid system and if your main concern is gaming you will be hard pressed to prove to me anyways that Intel is the best.......

My recommendations to Ruzzi were in keeping with the paradigm that he setup for his build.........

I personally am anxiously awaiting the the next-generation AMD Zen chips which sound quite exciting. They still aren’t expected to take on Intel’s high-end i7 CPUs in a performance battle but once again price wise will give a good reason for at least a second look....

kipper, Apr 25, 2016
  2. Berton Win User

I'm also looking forward to replacing 2 Custom computer in the next 6 to 12 months. Right now they are running Win10 having upgraded one from Win7 and the other from Win8.1. Both use Gigabyte motherboard, AMD AM3 CPUs with Add-in ATI Sapphire Radeon video cards. One has 8GB RAM and the other 6GB. I am not a gamer and these setups are not the fastest "speed demons" available, both over 3.GHz speed, but quite stable in daily operation. One is 6 years old and the other is 5 years.

Berton, Apr 25, 2016
  3. ruzzi Win User
    OK I'll consider AMD then. What do you recommend in terms of CPU and GPU?

Again, I'm looking for very good, "future proof" chips but also budget conscious.

ruzzi, Apr 25, 2016
  4. Berton Win User

Unfortunately, in the field of technology there is no sure way to "future proof" computers, one just has to purchase according to need and cost then add programs they need. My first computer in '92 was an AMD 80386 40MHz and I recently came into possession of a computer with the same CPU but overall a year newer, still works running MS-DOS 6.22 and Windows for Work Groups 3.11.

Berton, Apr 25, 2016
  5. ruzzi Win User
    You obviously missed my point in the quotes.. "future proof" meaning a few years rather than infinity. Can't believe you missed that.

ruzzi, Apr 25, 2016
  6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

I thought AMD stood for A(lways) M(any) D(efects)

I've usually had problems with AMD CPU's --IMO always worth it paying a bit more for INTEL.

I notice nobody even mentioned the XEON E3 which is a stellar performer if you can find one -- better than the equivalent i5's which are usually consumer grade --the XEON has robust enterprise strength and 4 decent cores -- Hyperthreading too for decent throughput. Also supports ECC if that's a requirement too.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 25, 2016
  7. Superfly Win User
    Nothing wrong with AMD - just needs a good PSU and perhaps additional cooling. Good especially for OC'ing.

Superfly, Apr 25, 2016
  8. lx07 Win User

For gaming I don't think ECC is really a requirement. Or cores. Or XEON. At all.

Not being funny but you wouldn't drive this down the shops if you wanted a takeout because it was more hardcore than a Toyota Camry (or whatever it is). It would just be silly (although cool perhaps). I could go on about PCI lanes for GPU but that would spoil the picture...

3 Questions about the i5 Processor for Gaming [​IMG]
    [

It might be "enterprise strength" but not really ideal for the job at hand I'd suggest my friend *Smile

9. CountMike New Member
    But you could park that Cat anywhere you want to !

CountMike, Apr 25, 2016
  10. BunnyJ New Member
    Right now I like the A10-7890K. It's a nice powerful processor that will get the job done for a few years, two or three. I would still toss on a third party cooler. Nothing like having a bit of extra cooling since the AMD runs a bit hotter.

And I would get an ASUS motherboard.

BunnyJ, Apr 25, 2016
  11. ruzzi Win User
    That does it. I'm definitely buying Intel. I thought I would give AMD a shot. But after reading this, coupled with horror stories from computer shop managers, it confirms my fears about AMD.

I'm gonna buy Intel. That's it!

ruzzi, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. 3 Questions about the i5 Processor for Gaming - Similar Threads - Questions Processor Gaming

2. About game question

in Windows 10 Gaming
    About game question: I don't know if I should ask this question on here but im having problem with my game called roblox when I like launch it and play for few minutes it closes the game that im playing randomly i dont know what to do because i tried everything reinstall or cleaning my cache...
  3. About game question

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    About game question: I don't know if I should ask this question on here but im having problem with my game called roblox when I like launch it and play for few minutes it closes the game that im playing randomly i dont know what to do because i tried everything reinstall or cleaning my cache...
  4. Question about paid games

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Question about paid games: I have a lot of paid games, And I want to know which of them can be run on PC. So how can I distinguish them ? Check it one by one ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/question-about-paid-games/00ea5156-5620-4681-a417-68dbcf1a3d61
  5. Question about paid games

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Question about paid games: I have a lot of paid games, And I want to know which of them can be run on PC. So how can I distinguish them ? Check it one by one ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/question-about-paid-games/00ea5156-5620-4681-a417-68dbcf1a3d61
  6. Question about paid games

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
  7. 3 questions about Disk Management.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    3 questions about Disk Management.: 1. What will happen if I delete the free space?2. How can I move the free space to C Drive?3. How can I convert E to a Primary Partition?Note: Free Space = Whatever is shown in the photo....
  8. A Question about Processor Scheduling Win32PrioritySeparation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A Question about Processor Scheduling Win32PrioritySeparation: A reference screenshot of the window:I'm trying to maximize the FPS I am getting in games. So, some YouTubers say that setting Processor Scheduling to Programs in Performance Options gives more FPS, while some say that setting it to background services gives more FPS.I'm...
  9. Question about Macro in a Game

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about Macro in a Game: Yesterday I succesfully created my first Macro with the help of a program I found which is called MiniMouseMacro, it worked very well for my intended purpose, but I was wondering if at all it would be possible to have a macro inside a program running in the background while...
  10. Question about processor/ram when choosing laptop

in Windows 10 Support
    Question about processor/ram when choosing laptop: Hey guys, would you rather have a laptop with a Intel i3 and 8gb of ram or i5 with 4gb of ram. My buddy is getting a laptop with these 2 configurations, obviously it’s because of his budget and he asked me which one. I would select i3 with 8 but I’m not so sure 150336