Windows 10: 3rd party apps run slower after an hour or so.

Discus and support 3rd party apps run slower after an hour or so. in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I've recently been having this problem where accessing files from my any of my six hard drives takes about 10x longer than usual. It used to be that I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Vlaphor, Aug 13, 2015.

1. Vlaphor Win User

3rd party apps run slower after an hour or so.

I've recently been having this problem where accessing files from my any of my six hard drives takes about 10x longer than usual. It used to be that I could double-click on an image and it'd come up instantly, now it takes a good 3 or 4 seconds. This is pretty much true of all the files on my computer, and running programs takes a good long while as well. This just started happening today, and I think the only change that happened was that Windows downloaded an update. I'm wondering if anyone else here has heard of any problems like this.

A way that I've managed to fix it temporarily was to install the mobo drivers from the website, then restart the computer. This works for a few hours, then goes back to the long read times. Also, when I do a search for an item, it says up top "We're getting search ready", and I don't know if that has anything to do with my issue.

My mobo is a GA-Z97X-Gaming 7 motherboard with an Intel 4790k cpu and I have a EVGA 970GTX. I have six HD's, two of which are SSD's...all of which are experiencing increased read times.

Thanks everyone.

Edit: Something new has come up. The problem has changed.

:)

Vlaphor, Aug 13, 2015
  2. jrbar Win User

Are Windows Phone 7 stock applications based on different technologies than 3rd party applications ?

I have also noticed that with my apps. 3rd party apps run slower, not only in graphics but in data/logic processing too. MS should optimize this in an OS update or in the Net framework runtime itself.

There has never been such big difference in WM6.x

jrbar, Aug 13, 2015
  3. After Anniversary Update every half an hour or so or computer freezes and makes a whirring noise.

Go To Setttings/System and play around with the sleep settings to see if you can induce problem or mitigate the problem. Also study some of the various power settings and whether they might be inducing the problem. From what I have seen many of the majors
    have started support areas for the various problems with Windows 10, some just in the past few days.. Their answers and qualifications seem far superior to anything I have seen offered by MS support.

Windows 10 does seem to be playing havoc with the hard drives leading many people to do just what you did. The vast majority will find nothing wrong with their hardware.

Jon Baker US=FTC, Aug 13, 2015
  4. Antilope Win User

I would try disconnecting one hard drive at a time, leaving the others running and see if one is causing the problem. If one is possibly having read errors it could slow down everything while the system is trying to read it.

Antilope, Aug 13, 2015
  5. Vlaphor Win User
    Ran crystaldiskinfo and it said that the oldest drive in my computer was showing caution, so I got everything running good again, then pulled the drive. It takes about an hr from when I start it up to when performance degrades, so I'll be able to see if this drive is the culprit.

Vlaphor, Aug 13, 2015
  6. Vlaphor Win User
    The plot thickens. It doesn't appear to be an issue with the hard drives after all, but the applications. Using Windows native apps allows the files to open right away, using other apps causes the slowdown after an hour or so.

After an hr, Irfanview opens pics slow. Windows photo viewer works right away

I uninstalled VLC and Media Player Classic, as they already were seeming to take awhile, but Windows Media Player works just fine.

Even 7zip is running slow, whereas opening archives through Windows Explorer works right away.

No idea why this started happening, and no idea why this is temporarily fixed by reinstalling motherboard drivers. I'm going to install the drivers one at a time and see which one actually does the fixing...then I'll try to go from there.

Vlaphor, Aug 13, 2015
  7. Vlaphor Win User
    I reinstalled/repaired the Intel Management Engine Components, and that seemed to be the temporary fix. Except that I reinstalled VLC and MPC and those still load slow in comparison to Windows Media Player, but everything else works just fine...for now. Irfanview and 7zip work like they should.

Vlaphor, Aug 13, 2015
  8. Vlaphor Win User

Another thing I should probably point out is that the folders themselves load up just fine, and that once the programs are loaded up, then they run normally, and are able to browse files regularly. If I close the program, then I'll have to relaunch it to get the performance back.

Vlaphor, Aug 13, 2015
  9. Vlaphor Win User
    Thought I'd go ahead and toss out another little update here. Ran memtest for 2 hours, got 46 errors, but they were all test 13 errors, which is the Hammer Test. From some studying I've done, it seems that failing the Hammer Test isn't a guarantee of failure in the ram. Also, when I set the test to use the full eight cores of my cpu, my ram passed the Hammer Test. After I wake up, I'm going to remove one of the two ram sticks and run the test again. See what happens.

Vlaphor, Aug 14, 2015
  10. jimbo45 Win User
    jimbo45, Aug 14, 2015
  11. Vlaphor Win User
    Well, I'm doing the ram tests now. I removed one stick and the problem remained, so I changed the sticks and it seems to be better for now. Of course, it was fine earlier...but VLC still loaded slower when it was working and it's loading pretty fast now. I'll give it an hour to see if the problem does indeed lie with the ram. Still, if that doesn't work, then I'll try your item. Thanks.

Vlaphor, Aug 14, 2015
  12. Vlaphor Win User
    So when I monitor, what is it that I'm looking for? I'm starting to think that this might not work, since 7 Zip is still taking longer than it should, and programs seem like they are taking longer to launch than they should.

Vlaphor, Aug 14, 2015
  13. Vlaphor Win User

Huge breakthrough. I disabled my Avast antivirus protection and now everything is loading like it should. 7zip works instantly, exe files load like they should, and everything else is good.

I did have one panic moment with my ram, when I noticed that the percentage used was much higher than it was normally...till I remember that I'm running on half the amount of ram that I usually am.

I'm going to try uninstalling and reinstalling avast and see if that fixes the issue.

Vlaphor, Aug 14, 2015
  14. Vlaphor Win User
    From the looks of it, Avast may be the culprit here. I reinstalled it and everything loads ultra slowly now until I disable the shields. I'm gonna go check avast forums to see if anyone else is having this issue, then I'll go ahead and reassemble my computer.

Vlaphor, Aug 14, 2015
  15. Vlaphor Win User
    Uninstalled Avast, installed AVG...everything is running as it should.

Vlaphor, Aug 14, 2015
Thema:

1. 3rd party apps run slower after an hour or so. - Similar Threads - 3rd party apps

2. Malicious 3rd party apps and their removal.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Malicious 3rd party apps and their removal.: I have a user who was on a Mac, and had installed Free Flowchart, which appears to be malicious. Unable to remove from the Mac.Provisioned a ThinkPad with Windows installed, and when signed into G Drive, opening files sometimes redirects to the site to download the app again....
  3. Malicious 3rd party apps and their removal.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Malicious 3rd party apps and their removal.: I have a user who was on a Mac, and had installed Free Flowchart, which appears to be malicious. Unable to remove from the Mac.Provisioned a ThinkPad with Windows installed, and when signed into G Drive, opening files sometimes redirects to the site to download the app again....
  4. UAC 3rd party virus app

in Windows 10 Gaming
    UAC 3rd party virus app: UAC asks if my 3rd party virus app is okay to make changes every time I start up my laptop. I was wondering if there is a way to add this app to the ignore list of UAC? My current UAC settings are: Notify me only when programs try to make changes to my computer....
  5. UAC 3rd party virus app

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    UAC 3rd party virus app: UAC asks if my 3rd party virus app is okay to make changes every time I start up my laptop. I was wondering if there is a way to add this app to the ignore list of UAC? My current UAC settings are: Notify me only when programs try to make changes to my computer....
  6. vetted 3rd party apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    vetted 3rd party apps: is Restoro an approved program to fixed windows? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/vetted-3rd-party-apps/7897334f-71f3-427b-a825-2acb08005f7a
  7. vetted 3rd party apps

vetted 3rd party apps: is Restoro an approved program to fixed windows? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/vetted-3rd-party-apps/7897334f-71f3-427b-a825-2acb08005f7a
  8. vetted 3rd party apps

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  9. 3rd party apps not working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    3rd party apps not working: 3rd party apps are not working and wont download im not in S mode when I got to activation it says Windows 10 home edition. Anyone know why or have a solution I updated yesterday and steam and stuff quit working today....
  10. Opening a 3rd party app

Opening a 3rd party app: I keep getting this message when I click on a link to a purchase, "you'll need a new app to open this mql4buy" I understand Microsoft Store will not have an app for opening this file. The app I purchased works for Meta Trader 4, a platform for forex trading. Can I...