Windows 10: 3tb drive works in win7, win 10 no.

Discus and support 3tb drive works in win7, win 10 no. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have this drive working fine in win7 on the same PC. I formatted it as GPT, and win7 sees the entire 3tb space and is usable. I copied many gb of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by sdowney717, Nov 15, 2017.

1. 3tb drive works in win7, win 10 no.

I have this drive working fine in win7 on the same PC.
    I formatted it as GPT, and win7 sees the entire 3tb space and is usable.
    I copied many gb of video files onto the drive.

I boot win10 with this drive, it does not appear in file manager.
    disk management shows the drive. Right click on partitions, only option I see is help. cant do anything with them. all options greyed out.
    I do not want to loose any of my video files on there.
    appears fine in the bios.

So what can I do?
    share link showing drives, forum wont accept pic
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/2DQe0WOhuxgfFV823

:)

sdowney717, Nov 15, 2017
  2. slance310 Win User

4TB Hard Disk Installation issue

Hi,

What size does Gparted say the drive is...

2.73GB is 3TB... there has to be another partition on there... probably not formatted...

I'm not sure Win 7 will recognize a boot drive larger than 3TB, and it needs to be GPT for larger than 2TB... It also requires 64 bit Win 7...

slance310, Nov 15, 2017
  3. Lethos Win User
    Volmgrx internal error Windows 10

I have had the same error and same difficulties with nothing working.

I eventually tried just to get the data off. I have a 250w ssd raid 1 for the win 10 system and a 3tb raid1 as data drive. With Knoppix linux live dvd I could read the ssd but not the data drive. I then found I could access the 3tb drive from a command
    prompt in advanced options during the restart. I could then use robocopy to transfer the data to a usb Seagate data drive. This seems to be working well so far. Next I'll likely reinstall win 10. I hope this helps someone save the 5 hrs I have lost to
    this... and I will backup more often!

Lethos, Nov 15, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

3tb drive works in win7, win 10 no.

You need to allocate it a drive letter.

Note: Your Windows partitions are split between disk 0 and disk 2 - Your Recovery partition is not on your system disk.
    This can happen if, when you installed Windows, there wasn't space on your system disk. You should not have 'C:' occupying 100% of your system disk.

(It looks as if you are using legacy BIOS, not EFI).
    (png's and jpg's at least are accepted as images - don't know about other types).

dalchina, Nov 15, 2017
  5. i dont know what to do. how drive letter? right click all options greyed out. win10 is broken bug!

the win10 was a fresh install on a 1tb empty drive. i unplugged all discs except 1tb disc and booted dvd and installed win10.
    the other disc is a sperate 1 tb drive with bootable win7 install.

the 3rd disc is 3tb used for recorded tv

sdowney717, Nov 15, 2017
  6. i shut down win10, i boot win7. 3tb working fine.
    can anyone make win10 work?

proof is in screenshot

this i think is a windows bug.

sdowney717, Nov 15, 2017
  7. dalchina New Member
    3tb drive works in win7, win 10 no. [​IMG]

- assign drive letter

3tb drive works in win7, win 10 no. [​IMG]

Or use Minitool Partition Wizard e.g.

dalchina, Nov 15, 2017
  8. 3tb drive works in win7, win 10 no.

yea you have no drive letter

xXWhackerXx, Nov 15, 2017
  9. dalchina New Member
    yes -it works quite well for me and many others...

dalchina, Nov 15, 2017
  10. You will notice that the disk is listed as GPT Protective Partition.

Read some google articles that came up when I searched this topic. Not a quick answer. I would place it back on Windows 7 device, copy data off and then re-initialize on Windows 10. Then copy data back on.

Not a desired process. With the quick search I did I did not see quick answer. You can search more on this topic.

Maybe this issue surrounds item Dalchina mentioned about BIOS in use?

This does not answer why Windows is split between drives. Did you install Windows with both of your 1TB drives connected? At one point was this a dual boot system?

Ken

Caledon Ken, Nov 15, 2017
  11. you have a reasonable idea. HOWEVER, all drive options are greyed out, cant set drive letter, cant delete partiton in win10, so yes a win 10 bug. all will have to be done in win7. see the other guys dont believe this.

copying 400gb. when done for PROOF, i can boot win10 and get screen shot of greyed out unselectable options to do anything to the disc. dont think they will believe regardless.

all 3 drives are on same device, same mb.

sdowney717, Nov 15, 2017
  12. Hi,
    Do you use any file or folder encryption software ?
    I've personally never seen a disk with protected labeled like that :/

ThrashZone, Nov 15, 2017
  13. 3tb drive works in win7, win 10 no.

no, what label?

sdowney717, Nov 15, 2017
  14. jumanji Win User
    Hi sdowney717,

After doing a quick research on this topic, I also came to the same conclusion as Caledon Ken ( his post #8) that you should copy all data with Windows 7 and then initialise the drive as GPT and format it with Windows 10. ( I know that it is a dual boot and not a split as people have imagined it to be)

I know what exactly is happening. A GPT drive has a protective MBR at sector 0 which has a partition table pointing to 2TB. For some reason Windows 10 is reading your drive as an MBR drive and pointing to that 2TB partition.

(I have also seen some posts suggesting that this could happen if the drive mode is set to RAID in the BIOS and that it should be set to AHCI. But I will be wary of doing this since in the good old days we were advised not to change it just like that. An elaborate procedure was outlined if one wanted to change. But in later days I had seen people changing from RAID to AHCI and viceversa with impunity and I don't know where the old stops and new regime comes in and where your regime lies *Smile.)

So safe to try what Caledon Ken suggests.

jumanji, Nov 15, 2017
  15. never was dual boot system.
    I installed win7 withonly its drive in pc. then i disconnected the drive and installed win10 withonly its drive connected. what do you guys mean split between drives?

sdowney717, Nov 15, 2017
Thema:

3tb drive works in win7, win 10 no.

1. 3tb drive works in win7, win 10 no. - Similar Threads - 3tb drive works

2. Win7 / Win 10 Drivers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win7 / Win 10 Drivers: I have a Win7 machine with an IntelR Ethernet Connection 2 1219-v controller with Win10 on a Dual boot.Until last week I was able to boot into either OS. In a moment of gross stupidity I formatted my Win 10 SSD and then butchered my Clone backup.Attempting to do a fresh...
  3. Win7 / Win 10 Drivers

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win7 / Win 10 Drivers: I have a Win7 machine with an IntelR Ethernet Connection 2 1219-v controller with Win10 on a Dual boot.Until last week I was able to boot into either OS. In a moment of gross stupidity I formatted my Win 10 SSD and then butchered my Clone backup.Attempting to do a fresh...
  4. Win7 / Win 10 Drivers

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Win7 to Win 10 Upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win7 to Win 10 Upgrade: I have had my desktop upgraded from Win7 Ultimate to Win 10 Pro. I cannot connect to the internet now. I use Satellite NBN. Also use a wireless router for the laptop. Laptop connects fine also running W10 I have direct connected to BB modem with ethernet cable shows...
  6. External 3TB Drive broken?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External 3TB Drive broken?: Yesterday I received an external 3TB drive from a friend of mine. It worked perfectly after I formatted it. Just this morning, after restarting my computer( for an update), it wouldn't open. Whenever I try to do anything with it, it gives me this error. As I said, it worked...
  7. NEWLY INSTALLED 3TB DRIVE not recognized/formattable by Win #10??

NEWLY INSTALLED 3TB DRIVE not recognized/formattable by Win #10??: NEWLY INSTALLED 3TB DRIVE not recognized/formattable by Win #10?? I have two exact model WD 3 TB HDD's now, but the 2nd one will not allow me to formart or partiocian the 2nd 3tb hard drive? What can I do? It doesn't show up in MY PC Either..*Sick 65304
  8. win 10 to win7

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    win 10 to win7: I downloaded win10, didn't care for it and went back to 7. Now my wifi doesn't work, laptop shows that it's connected; but it wont connect to any web page. 13264
  9. Windows 10 only sees 746gb on 3tb drive

Windows 10 only sees 746gb on 3tb drive: Good Day everyone, This is driving me crazy. I have an old,but new to me HP PC. I decided to buy a 3TB 49877
  10. Windows 10 only sees 746gb on 3tb drive

Windows 10 only sees 746gb on 3tb drive: Good Day everyone, This is driving me crazy. I have an old,but new to me HP PC. I decided to buy a 3TB drive to add as a secondary drive. Just my luck only 746gb show. I tried everything but all i can find on google is for intel chipsets. When attempting to run the driver...