Windows 10: 3tb hard drive that has 746gb unallocated how can i fix?

Discus and support 3tb hard drive that has 746gb unallocated how can i fix? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; ok i got a 3tb hard drive that has 746gb unallocated and computer management wont let me do nothing with it. i dont care what i got to do with this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by kingfish4200, Feb 15, 2018.

1. 3tb hard drive that has 746gb unallocated how can i fix?

ok i got a 3tb hard drive that has 746gb unallocated and computer management wont let me do nothing with it. i dont care what i got to do with this drive i just want access to the full size of the drive. can someone please help me out on how i might get this done?

:)

kingfish4200, Feb 15, 2018
  2. MoVo123 Win User

Data on 3tb drive lost after windows 10 upgrade

Hi

I have 2 hard drive on my PC a 250GB drive for the OS and 3tb drive for data. I installed windows 10 on the 250GB drive and now my 3TB drive has lost all its data and connot be accessed. What did the windows installtion do to my 3TB drive. I did not select
    any option for it to touch that drive. Please explain how I can get my data back. The 3TB drive shows in disk manager a 2TB drive with 700GB unallocated. You should warn your consumers that they will lose their data if they upgrade!

MoVo123, Feb 15, 2018
  3. Max disk size for Windows 10

I know this doesn't answer your question about Windows 10, because I do not know.

However, the problem you're running into with your Windows 7 machine, and the 2TB limit, and the "wasted" 1TB on your 3TB drive.

I had this problem when I cloned a 2TB drive to a 3TB drive, and found 2TB (2047.9GB actual) in use, and 1TB wasted (746.52 GB actual) .

My HD was Seagate and the solution was Seagate's Disc Wizard. Information about this can be found at: Support for Disk Drives Beyond 2.2 TeraBytes (TB) and 4K Advanced Format Sectors | Seagate Support

With a youtube video at:

The Disc Wizard didn't allow me to have a 3TB partition, but did allow my computer to access the 746GB as another drive letter.

If you have another manufacturer for your hard drive, perhaps they have a similar hard drive manager.

Dan - 80010, Feb 15, 2018
  4. 3tb hard drive that has 746gb unallocated how can i fix?

You are hitting the 2TB limit of MBR - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...rger-than-2-tb

There are instructions on that site that tell you how to convert the drive to GPT.

Note that depending on your BIOS/UEFI setup, you may or may not be able to boot to this drive if you convert to GPT. It looks like you're not using it as your boot drive so you should be fine.

PolarNettles, Feb 15, 2018
  5. Oh ok thanks. I'll take a look at that and see what i can do, and your right im not using as a boot drive. Thanks alot for your quick reply

kingfish4200, Feb 15, 2018
  6. essenbe Win User
  7. Actually, I notice that you have a System partition on that drive so you might actually have boot files on there. Just to make sure, try physically disconnecting the 3TB drive and seeing if you can boot into windows. If not, then things get a bit more complicated.

PolarNettles, Feb 16, 2018
  8. 3tb hard drive that has 746gb unallocated how can i fix?

lol you a exactly right and its causing me fits. I know my motherboard supports everything i need. iI have a msi b350m , a ryzen 7, and 32g of ram . It was useing all of it before, but I had some pc probs and I reinstalled windows and now i cant get it to use the full size of the drive now. In discpart it said " Virtual Disk Service error:Clean is not allowed on the disk containing the current boot, system, pagefile, crashdump or hibernation volume. "

i am willing to reinstall or whatever it takes to make this work. what can i do?

kingfish4200, Feb 16, 2018
  9. By "reinstall" do you mean you are willing to completely wipe out both drives and do a clean install of Windows? That's the simplest option - just disconnect your 3TB drive and install Windows to your 128GB drive using the guide at Clean Install Windows 10 Windows 10 Tutorials . Then after everything is installed, connect your 3TB drive and wipe it.

If you want to retain your current 128GB drive contents then you'll have to move the boot files to that drive. Disconnect the 3TB drive, boot to your Windows setup USB, and choose Repair. From there you can try the Startup Repair option. If that doesn't work then you can try manually rebuilding the BCD - How to Rebuild the BCD in Windows [10 to 20 Minutes] . Then after you are able to boot into Windows then you can reconnect your 3TB drive.

10. I was able to reproduce your boot setup (System partition on disk 0, Windows on disk 1). The Startup Repair and BCD rebuild from my previous post did not work.

3tb hard drive that has 746gb unallocated how can i fix? [​IMG]

I was able to boot to the 2nd drive by doing:

• Disconnect 1st drive. Connect the 2nd drive to the SATA port that the 1st drive was connected to (this will save you from needing to doing some BIOS configuration later).
    • Boot to Windows Setup USB.
    • Open command prompt (shift-F10)
    • Run "diskpart" and the following commands.
      • list disk (there should only be your 128GB drive)
      • select disk 0
      • list part (there should only be 1 partition)
      • select part 1
      • active
      • list vol (drive C should have an asterisk)
      • exit
    • Run "bcdboot c:\windows"

6. Close the command window and setup window to shut down.
    7. Remove your USB drive and power up your system.
    8. Now your C: drive should have the System partition.

9. Power off, connect your 2nd drive to the SATA port where your 1st drive used to be, and boot up. You should be able to wipe it now.

11. can i just use a windows disk in my blueray drive and set the blueray drive as 1st boot device? do i have to use a usb?

kingfish4200, Feb 16, 2018
  12. You can boot from the optical drive as well.

13. 3tb hard drive that has 746gb unallocated how can i fix?

Hey sorry it's been a few days but I had to go out of town. I'm actually doing it now, but I'm a little confused about what you said at step 6. So I exited the command window but I should or shouldn't go ahead and reinstall windows ? The way it's stated it sounds like your telling me after I exit the command window to just turn the computer off

kingfish4200, Feb 21, 2018
  14. Yes, just turn it off at that point. You don't need to install Windows.

PolarNettles, Feb 22, 2018
  15. well i did everything and plugged the other drive back in and still wont let me convert it to gpd disk in computer managment

kingfish4200, Feb 22, 2018
Thema:

3tb hard drive that has 746gb unallocated how can i fix?

1. 3tb hard drive that has 746gb unallocated how can i fix? - Similar Threads - 3tb hard drive

2. Unallocated Space on Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unallocated Space on Hard Drive: I had a disk failure caused by a failed UPS. Before I realised I had tried to repair Windows. The disk is 1Tb, I also had a 1Tb disk used for file storage but I think this is on the verge of failings although it can still be read.I purchased a 2Tb HDD and was able to clone...
  3. 3tb hard drive showing up as 2

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    3tb hard drive showing up as 2: i recently had to redownload windows 10 because it wasnt booting, my 3tb hard drive was only showing up as 2tb, i ignored it for a while but now i am running low on storage how do i get my extra tb?...
  4. "Unallocated" hard drive

"Unallocated" hard drive: Hi I've got a hard drive that just completely stopped working. Removed it, and connected it to my laptop. It kept on asking if i wanted to format the drive., after tying everything i could, i gave up and formatted the hard drive. Everything went okay, and without any...
  5. New 3TB Drive Only Shows 746GB

New 3TB Drive Only Shows 746GB: I bought the Seagate barracuda 3TB and it shows as 746GB on my another computer with Windows Vista SP2 32-bit in GPT mode. I have asked this problem at Seagate forum and the one guy who replied didn't know how to solve it. I am using the 3TB Seagate drive in my Rosewill...
  6. New 3TB Drive Only Shows 746GB

in Windows 10 Support
    New 3TB Drive Only Shows 746GB: I bought the Seagate barracuda 3TB and it shows as 746GB on my another computer with Windows Vista SP2 32-bit in GPT mode. I have asked this problem at Seagate forum and the one guy who replied didn't know how to solve it. I am using the 3TB Seagate drive in my Rosewill...
  7. Hard drive unallocated

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hard drive unallocated: When i finished building my pc i installed windows 10 on my ssd and also i had installed a 2T hard drive. The computer in disk managment reads the hard drive as drive 0 and all of it is unallocated space. I have tried to assign it a letter in disk mangement but it wont let me...
  8. New PC Windows on Single 3TB Hard Drive, Seen as 746GB

New PC Windows on Single 3TB Hard Drive, Seen as 746GB: Hi, I recently acquired a second-hand PC that had everything working fine but lacked a hard drive. I bought a 3TB HDD and installed it. Afterwards, I installed Windows 7 (because I had a key for it), and then I upgraded to Windows 10 because I prefer it. I noticed as...
  9. Windows 10 only sees 746gb on 3tb drive

Windows 10 only sees 746gb on 3tb drive: Good Day everyone, This is driving me crazy. I have an old,but new to me HP PC. I decided to buy a 3TB 49877
  10. Windows 10 only sees 746gb on 3tb drive

Windows 10 only sees 746gb on 3tb drive: Good Day everyone, This is driving me crazy. I have an old,but new to me HP PC. I decided to buy a 3TB drive to add as a secondary drive. Just my luck only 746gb show. I tried everything but all i can find on google is for intel chipsets. When attempting to run the driver...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. 746.52gb unallocated on mbr disk