Windows 10: 4 separate win7 upgrades, 3 have the same 10 key

Discus and support 4 separate win7 upgrades, 3 have the same 10 key in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have 6 pc's on my home network, all but one was running Win 7 Pro, I have upgraded 4 of them to win 10. All were retail keys, I was checking the key... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Slagathor, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Slagathor Win User

4 separate win7 upgrades, 3 have the same 10 key

I have 6 pc's on my home network, all but one was running Win 7 Pro, I have upgraded 4 of them to win 10.
    All were retail keys, I was checking the key today so I can have a hard copy, (a few years ago I had a HDD crash and didnt properly back all 8 keys up, and lost 2), any way, I used the newest AIDA64 to check the OS goodness to get the key, and the only one that is different is my PC, I also used magic jelly bean, they both report the same thing...

Is this something to worry about??? All pc's are activated..

:)

Slagathor, Aug 9, 2015
  2. Shahinpb Win User

Upgrading to Win 10 from win7 but question about use of Win7 key!

Hello Everyone!

I have question about Windows 7 genuine serial key. In the past while I was searching around these forums I found out that my Win7 key would work for up to three separate computers, So I used this key
    on 2 other pc that I built but my question is if I upgrade all these 3 machine from Win7 to Win 10 would it cause problem in future or not?

And my last question is, After upgrading to win10 if I have to reinstall whole windows again Can I put my Win 7 key for win 10 again? Or do I need to do something else?

Shahinpb, Aug 9, 2015
  3. WINDOWS 10 PRODUCT KEY

I successfully upgraded to Win10 from win7 and activated Win10 online. My win7 product key was valid and activated. The upgrade process did not ask for a product key. The clean install did.

If in the future I replace my hard drive, I have the following questions:

1. Would I need a Win10 product key?

2. Could I use my valid Win7 product key since I upgraded to Win10?

3. If not. how can I obtain a valid Win10 key?

4. In general, What is the procedure for users who upgraded from Win7 to Win10 and wants to do a clean install in the future.?

Win 10 User, Aug 9, 2015
  4. 4 separate win7 upgrades, 3 have the same 10 key

It's normal for the Windows 10 upgrades, as there aren't unique license keys being given to people who use the free upgrade. There are a small number of communal keys that are given to everyone making use of the upgrade. Microsoft isn't authenticating the upgrades based on their serial keys, but on the system hardware which they're installed to.

If you ever want to transfer your retail Windows 10 license to another PC, you'll first have to install Windows 7 on the new PC, then upgrade it and authenticate it with Microsoft's servers, then if you want a clean Windows 10 installation, format then reinstall using a Windows 10 ISO. After the new hardware has been associated with the upgrade once, then it will be recognized by MS's servers, and a clean installation will work. The serial keys given for the free upgrade of Windows 10 don't have much significance.

Delicieuxz, Aug 10, 2015
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    That is incorrect. If you have a retail Windows 10 license, then you also have a unique Product Key which can be entered when asked for during the Windows 10 installation. People who use the free upgrade don't get retail licenses, therefore they do not get unique Product Keys and, therefore, when they do a subsequent clean install on that same computer they should skip entering a Product Key because they do have a unique one to enter. Since a retail license also has a unique Product Key that can be entered during the install, there is no need to do a Windows 7/8/8.1 upgrade first.

People who use the free upgrade only get the generic free upgrade product key which is used along with the Hardware ID to create a unique Installation ID which is used to activate the Windows 10 that came from the free upgrade. That generic Product Key should not be entered when doing a subsequent clean install. When Windows 10 contacts the activation server with the Hardware ID, the activation server will recognize that Hardware ID as a previous free upgrade and will provide the generic upgrade Product Key which then creates the same Installation ID as before which then activates that install of Windows 10.

NavyLCDR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

4 separate win7 upgrades, 3 have the same 10 key

1. 4 separate win7 upgrades, 3 have the same 10 key - Similar Threads - separate win7 upgrades

2. Separate users on separate SSD's on the same computer.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Separate users on separate SSD's on the same computer.: To explain what I'm trying to do I need to explain why I'm doing it:On my PC I have a work user and a personal user, the work user is solely used for work I work from home and the personal user is everything else like gaming, messaging etc.I switch between these users quite...
  3. Separate users on separate SSD's on the same computer.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Separate users on separate SSD's on the same computer.: To explain what I'm trying to do I need to explain why I'm doing it:On my PC I have a work user and a personal user, the work user is solely used for work I work from home and the personal user is everything else like gaming, messaging etc.I switch between these users quite...
  4. HAVE UPGRADED WIN7 TO WIN 10.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HAVE UPGRADED WIN7 TO WIN 10.: MY BIOS IS 5.15 WITH NO TPM AVAILABILITY. TO GO UP TO WIN 11 I NEED TO UPGRADE THE BIOS, HOW DO I DO THAT WHEN HP SAY THERE IS NO UPDATE AVAILABLE ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/have-upgraded-win7-to-win-10/10459ef3-077a-42cf-8a7f-e674fc436341
  5. HAVE UPGRADED WIN7 TO WIN 10.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HAVE UPGRADED WIN7 TO WIN 10.: MY BIOS IS 5.15 WITH NO TPM AVAILABILITY. TO GO UP TO WIN 11 I NEED TO UPGRADE THE BIOS, HOW DO I DO THAT WHEN HP SAY THERE IS NO UPDATE AVAILABLE ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/have-upgraded-win7-to-win-10/10459ef3-077a-42cf-8a7f-e674fc436341
  6. HAVE UPGRADED WIN7 TO WIN 10.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Help with having separate rdp instances to same computer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help with having separate rdp instances to same computer: We have a computer with some specialty software that takes a couple hours to set up, we can’t use VNC due to it it not being encrypted and don’t want to open up our ssh ports to tunnel it. Is there a way to remote into a windows 10 desktop that doesn’t effect the user of the...
  8. Upgrade to Pro with old Win7 OA key

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Upgrade to Pro with old Win7 OA key: I have an old ThinkPad with a "Windows 7 Pro OA for Lenovo" sticker. The ThinkPad does not use Windows at the time. (It has no HDD/SSD at all at the moment) I also bought an Acer laptop with Windows 10 Home yesterday. They had neither Pro devices for 800€ or less nor Licences...
  9. No Key request during upgrade for Win7

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    No Key request during upgrade for Win7: Hello, I've upgrade a PC from Win7 to Win10 with a usb drive I created using the media creation tool. What confuses me is that I never got asked to enter a Win10 key. Do Win7 keys work for Win10? Or will I get a promt in a couple weeks saying that I need one?...
  10. Valid Win7 Product Key not accepted by Win 10 upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Valid Win7 Product Key not accepted by Win 10 upgrade: Having upgraded my laptop and Surface Pro to Win 10, my neighbour asked me to do the same for his laptop running its original OEM applied Win7.1 Home premium. Unlike my 2 machines, when the win10 upgrade gets to the Product Key entry screen, there is no "Skip" option and...