Windows 10: 4k to 92k in bad sectors & cloning drive

Discus and support 4k to 92k in bad sectors & cloning drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I was cleaning up one of my systems & uninstalled Roxio Creator 2012 & Divx as I not need it & after uninstall my system became slow & bad response &... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by DrSysop, Mar 9, 2017.

1. DrSysop Win User

4k to 92k in bad sectors & cloning drive

I was cleaning up one of my systems & uninstalled Roxio Creator 2012 & Divx as I not need it & after uninstall my system became slow & bad response & did a chkdsk & says found orphaned file etc. & did a chkdsk /f & restarted & fixed problem but when i did a chkdsk again it found 4k of bad sectors. I did some research & tried chkdsk /b & took over 5 hrs & then did a chkdsk & now found 92k of bad sectors & did a chkdsk /f again & now same 92k. I did a system restore to before i uninstalled Roxio & the error was still there but Roxio & Divx was there again.
    I also did a clone to a new HD using Acronis True Image 2015 Western Digital edition & cloned but the bad sector was same on new drive but i noticed drive clone not to good i had to install windows 10 from with in windows MCT tool i burned to dvd over it as i did a sfc /scannow on cloned drive & found problems.

How do i remove the flag from Windows or chkdsk displaying the bad sector as the hard drives are fine & on cloned drive is a new drive & made a 2nd clone on a smaller older drive & same thing. Is there something in the registry or a file i need to delete?

Original Hard Drive is a WD 1TB
    Cloned is a New WD 2TB
    Second Cloned is a Seagate Barracuda 320GB

Last thing as i hear Acronis isn't that great is there any better free cloning software I can try as I make a bootable DVD & use it instead of installing it. I want to clone other pc's as Acronis after you uninstall it leaves to much in registry etc.

:)

DrSysop, Mar 9, 2017
  2. Jack_246 Win User

Windows 10 won't boot "Repairing disk errors this might take more than an hour to complete"

I cloned my old drive on the newly purchased drive. I did not run chkdsk /r before using the drive. Should I run anyways now that I have already cloned the hard drive? Do you know what might be causing this problem with my new hard drive? The drive cloning
    seems to have been successful because in windows File explorer it say that the newly cloned drive has the same amount of free space and used space as the old one and when I clone the name of the partition is the same. Could I try booting from the newly cloned
    drive? Would that affect any of my files on the newly cloned drive? I also realized that when I used the "Disks" application in an Ubuntu I noticed that the drive that I have installed Windows 10 temporarily that I know is failing has about 55 bad sectors
    or disk errors. My old hard drive still only has 29 bad sectors or disk errors, which is the same number that it had a couple of weeks ago or maybe even a month. Could the 55 bad sectors or disk errors on the hard drive with temporary installation of windows
    be the cause even though it is not "drive 3." ?

Jack_246, Mar 9, 2017
  3. CB_525 Win User
    Clean Install

I have recently discovered that my hard drive has bad sectors. This is preventing me from cloning to a new hard drive. I have tried a myriad of different things. I am almost to the point of buying a new Windows licence to install on the new hard drive. The
    last thing I could think of was a clean install. Would/Could a clean install fix the bad sectors?

Thank you for your time.

CB_525, Mar 9, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Kyhi's recovery tools:
    Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk

Macrium Reflect and AEOMI Partition Assistant both have cloning capability. There are also disk utilities on there too that will probably fix your bad sectors issue, but I am not well versed in using them.

NavyLCDR, Mar 9, 2017
  5. DrSysop Win User
    Macrium Reflect i need key to it as the free version not have full functions.

DrSysop, Mar 9, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
  7. DrSysop Win User
    Thanks, But that not same for Windows 10. The bad sectors been flagged & want to unflag it as the drive is fine. I ran it from properties & says this but no bad sector but no fix errors was there to check but not find errors.

This was in details in event viewer

completed.

Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.
    No further action is required.

976248828 KB total disk space.
    98660004 KB in 157366 files.
    99172 KB in 32095 indexes.
    449208 KB in use by the system.
    65536 KB occupied by the log file.
    877040352 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
    244062207 total allocation units on disk.
    219260088 allocation units available on disk.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...

Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ...

Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...

No bad sectors,Now this is results when i use chkdsk from command prompt in admin mode.

(c) 2016 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>chkdsk
    The type of the file system is NTFS.
    Volume label is OSDisk.

WARNING! /F parameter not specified.
    Running CHKDSK in read-only mode.

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...
    345344 file records processed.
    File verification completed.
    6750 large file records processed.
    0 bad file records processed.

Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ...
    409530 index entries processed.
    Index verification completed.
    0 unindexed files scanned.
    0 unindexed files recovered to lost and found.

Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...
    Security descriptor verification completed.
    32094 data files processed.
    CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
    4637944 USN bytes processed.
    Usn Journal verification completed.

976248828 KB total disk space.
    98814708 KB in 157369 files.
    99172 KB in 32095 indexes.
    92 KB in bad sectors.
    448888 KB in use by the system.
    65536 KB occupied by the log file.
    876885968 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
    244062207 total allocation units on disk.
    219221492 allocation units available on disk.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

Now this is strange where is that saved? I want to kill that bad sector flag!

DrSysop, Mar 9, 2017
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

NavyLCDR, Mar 9, 2017
  9. Bree New Member
    From the 'Chkdsk /?' help...

Bree, Mar 9, 2017
  10. Samuria Win User
    How do you know the drive is ok? Bad sectors are a hardware fault disk has engineering blocks and bad blocks are reassigned to them so if the drive then shows bad blocks there are a lot and sign of failing drive. Doing a clone will copy them to new drive. The only test is tools free from disk makers website. If you unmark them you will just get data loss and slow speed

Samuria, Mar 9, 2017
  11. Bree New Member
    The cloning has copied the bad block table from the bad drive to an otherwise functional new drive. Chkdsk /B should be able to release them for future use. It's what TechNet recommend you should do after cloning.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...(v=ws.11).aspx

12. DrSysop Win User

DrSysop, Mar 9, 2017
  13. Bree New Member

No need for /r afterwards, you've already done one. The documentation says ".../b includes the functionality of /r..." - it's the same as doing /r but with the additional step of clearing the bad block list before it starts.

Thema:

1. 4k to 92k in bad sectors & cloning drive - Similar Threads - 92k bad sectors

2. Bad Sectors

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bad Sectors: Hi, my HDD has bad sectors and my os is just ubuntu , Can I fix them via windows 10 media disk chkdsk without any change my ubuntu system? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bad-sectors/aada8c97-4e9c-4afe-b1b3-2c4494039794
  3. Bad Sectors

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bad Sectors: Hi, my HDD has bad sectors and my os is just ubuntu , Can I fix them via windows 10 media disk chkdsk without any change my ubuntu system? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bad-sectors/aada8c97-4e9c-4afe-b1b3-2c4494039794
  4. Hard drive, bad sectors

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Hard drive, bad sectors: I have a HDD that has bad sectors. I plan to buy SSD to replace it. But can I still use that HDD to install games? I only plan to put the operating system in the SSD, or do you have any tips that will help to fix those bad sectors aside form chkdsk /f /r /x C: also, here is...
  5. Bad sectors

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Bad sectors: Windows replaced bad clusters in file CD of name windows\System32\LogFiles\WMI GAMING 3. ETL. Windows replaced bad clusters in file 365 of name \PROGRA-2\INCRED-1\Logs\BUILDS-1. LOG....
  6. disk cloning failed to write bad sector

disk cloning failed to write bad sector: I got a new Samsung 970EVO NVMe M.2 SSD and I have been trying to clone my system over to it. I have used softwares like Macrium Reflect and easeus but they all end up giving me a "failed to write bad sector"message. I have an Asus UX501V Notebook and my installed SSD is a...
  7. Temporary Fix for Bad Sectors

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Temporary Fix for Bad Sectors: I have an HDD on my laptop with lots of bad sectors (CrystalDiskInfo said that my HDD is already in bad condition), I'm going to get a free replacement but I can't afford to have a day without a laptop for now, since the replacement will take 4-14 days. I also don't have any...
  8. Help With Bad Sectors

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help With Bad Sectors: I've been having some problems with my hard drive, and I need some help. I need to know if there is a way to fix or delete the bad sectors and clone the drive to a new one (tried a few cloning softwares but none work). Another note is that when I try chkdsk the ETA keeps...
  9. Will Resetting Windows Avoid Bad Sectors on Hard Drive

Will Resetting Windows Avoid Bad Sectors on Hard Drive: I have an Acer laptop that has started acting weird (stops responding for a minute, then catching up, working fine for 3-4 minutes, then stopping again). I did a surface test and found 11 bad sectors on the hard drive. I have run multiple 'sfc /scannow' and 'chkdsk c: /r'....
  10. Bad sectors

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bad sectors: Hi I was just wondering if there were bad sectors on a hard drive, would replacing it help because ive tried checking disk and scanning it and tried to fix it with command prompt but it doesnt seem to work....