Windows 10: 4TB external disk is shown as MBR formatted. How is this possible?

Discus and support 4TB external disk is shown as MBR formatted. How is this possible? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; The reason for my question is as follows. I had a 4TB Samsung D3 Station external disk that suddenly stopped working. I determined that the problem... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Fortitude, May 7, 2018.

1. Fortitude Win User

4TB external disk is shown as MBR formatted. How is this possible?

The reason for my question is as follows.

I had a 4TB Samsung D3 Station external disk that suddenly stopped working. I determined that the problem must have been with the external enclosure and I therefore bought a replacement. Upon trying to connect the drive Hard Disk Sentinel reported that "the partition on this hard disk created (sic) with 4K physical sector size but the current physical sector size is 512 bytes" and "it is recommended to re-connect the hard disk as previously connected (probably with different USB adapter, enclosure, docking station or so to access the partition with ll stored data - otherwise data loss may occur".

To cut a long story short, I eventually reformatted it as the data on it were already backed up elsewhere. However, I ended up with two partitions and I couldn't merge them, apparently because the size of one of them exceeded 2 TB. I finally used a program from AMOEI and I created a single partition on the disk, equal to nearly 4 TB.

The partition now is GPT type. However, the previous partition on this disk, also 4 TB, was type "Basic MBR". So how come it was 4 TB Basic MBR in its original (new) form whereas I was restricted to partitions below 2 TB later on when I wanted to have a single MBR type disk up to 4TB? Does it have anything to do with the enclosure, that is the original enclosure from Samsung compared to the new enclosure that I bought?

:)

Fortitude, May 7, 2018
Thema:

4TB external disk is shown as MBR formatted. How is this possible?

1. 4TB external disk is shown as MBR formatted. How is this possible? - Similar Threads - 4TB external disk

2. Is it possible to change how disk size is shown in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is it possible to change how disk size is shown in Windows 10?: So I do know that Windows uses GiB instead of GB but show GiB as GB which is kind of confusing to me. Suppose I get a 1TB hard disk but as windows uses GiB it will display as 953.6 GB which is confusing to a lot of people as many don't even know that windows uses GiB instead...
  3. Disk Management: Formatting New 4TB WD HDD In External Enclosure. No Progress Indicator...

Disk Management: Formatting New 4TB WD HDD In External Enclosure. No Progress Indicator...: Purchased new WD 4TB HDD and after initializing through Disk Management I initiated full format. Has been about an hour and no progress is showing. It just says "Formatting" see below. It displays following as well:Is this normal and I should just let it run over night? Any...
  4. Disk Management: Formatting New 4TB WD HDD In External Enclosure. No Progress Indicator...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk Management: Formatting New 4TB WD HDD In External Enclosure. No Progress Indicator...: Purchased new WD 4TB HDD and after initializing through Disk Management I initiated full format. Has been about an hour and no progress is showing. It just says "Formatting" see below. It displays following as well:Is this normal and I should just let it run over night? Any...
  5. Disk Management: Formatting New 4TB WD HDD In External Enclosure. No Progress Indicator...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. I found also that: my Intenso EXTERNAL 4TB disk is MBR and NOT GPT... Well, what to do?

I found also that: my Intenso EXTERNAL 4TB disk is MBR and NOT GPT... Well, what to do?: I found that: my Intenso EXTERNAL 4TB disk is MBR and NOT GPT... Well, what to do?Already, I have more than half capacity full... well?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-found-also-that-my-intenso-external-4tb-disk-is/7e852d9c-aae3-4cb5-88b4-7ef541aa228e
  7. I found also that: my Intenso EXTERNAL 4TB disk is MBR and NOT GPT... Well, what to do?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I found also that: my Intenso EXTERNAL 4TB disk is MBR and NOT GPT... Well, what to do?: I found that: my Intenso EXTERNAL 4TB disk is MBR and NOT GPT... Well, what to do?Already, I have more than half capacity full... well?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-found-also-that-my-intenso-external-4tb-disk-is/7e852d9c-aae3-4cb5-88b4-7ef541aa228e
  8. I found also that: my Intenso EXTERNAL 4TB disk is MBR and NOT GPT... Well, what to do?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  9. Windows update 1803 formats secondary 4TB HDD from GPT to MBR

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows update 1803 formats secondary 4TB HDD from GPT to MBR: New to the group and boy do I have a good one! The other day when I booted up my desktop PC, I noticed a majority of my desktop icons had lost there images alerting me that something had went direly wrong. I opened My PC to inspect my HDD contents and I was shocked by what I...
  10. Format mbr external drive to gpt

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Format mbr external drive to gpt: I was recently instructed how to format a GPT external drive to MBR.It was 4 terabytes and now is only 2 terabytes.I understand why because it was explained on this site.What I would like to know is can I format it back to MBR so I can get the 4 terabytes back.Hope I...