Windows 10: 4TB Green failed then PC not boot.

Discus and support 4TB Green failed then PC not boot. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hey guys I have a 4TB WD Green less than 12 months old fail the other day, was browsing on it and then it said drive not recognized, so I rebooted and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by dwarfer66, Jun 22, 2016.

1. dwarfer66 Win User

4TB Green failed then PC not boot.

Hey guys I have a 4TB WD Green less than 12 months old fail the other day, was browsing on it and then it said drive not recognized, so I rebooted and then another drive (Seagate 2TB) said the same thing.

I rebooted again with the 4TB inserted (the 2TB drive removed), rebooted and then it said I had no boot disc. The 2TB drive works fine but as soon as I put in the 4TB drive (does not work as an external as well), I get the "no boot disc" etc.

Check on the boot order and my Samsung SSD 850, is not in the boot order when the 4TB HDD is plugged in.

Any ideas?

Will RMA it in a few weeks when I have the money.

:)

dwarfer66, Jun 22, 2016
  2. JohnPHugg Win User

Stroage Space using ext drives and win 10 64bit

Both were originally formatted as NTFS with GUID partition table. The 4TB was a single partition and the 1.5TB was a single partition. I then tried formatting the 4TB with two partitions and a single partition on the 1.5TB drive and the setup still failed
    saying they were not supported.

JohnPHugg, Jun 22, 2016
  3. slance310 Win User
    Windows 10 Automatic Startup Repair not Repairing Startup

Hi,

You can't boot to a 4TB HDD in Legacy Bios... It needs to be UEFI...

Have you been using that drive all along, or recently switched ?

BTW... The drive needs to be Initialized as GPT to be useable as a 4TB drive...

slance310, Jun 22, 2016
  4. Kbird Win User

No really sure but sounds like the bad drive is effecting the Bios Boot Order somehow , eg the Controller is getting messed up trying to identify the drives.

If you can't boot with the 4GB not connected , then you may have more than one bad drive?

Kbird, Jun 24, 2016
  5. dwarfer66 Win User
    I was think that, but I am also having other drives "fall over" until I reboot. My games drives "disconnects" sometimes as well as my external drive until I reboot.

This all started about 3 days ago out of the blue. I just hope I don't have to replace the mobo due to a failing SATA connector.

dwarfer66, Jun 24, 2016
  6. Kbird Win User
    it is possible it is the Controller going bad , test the externals on another comp. if you can, perhaps it's not them that needs RMAing?

Kbird, Jun 24, 2016
  7. dwarfer66 Win User
    Will check externals on another comp when housemate gets home from work, it disconnects mostly when windows refreshes itself.

Hopefully its not the sata controller going bad, I am waiting for a pcie 4 port sata card to arrive (not for another 3 weeks or so!).

I am using a 1155 mobo and they are not that easy to get locally here in Western Australia for a decent price.

dwarfer66, Jun 24, 2016
  8. dwarfer66 Win User

Update: I am replacing my PSU tomorrow or thursday as now I lose all drives except C: when I plug in my GPU (GTX760) even does it on an old GT210, so hopefully that sorts out the problem, otherwise new mobo it is.

dwarfer66, Jun 27, 2016
  9. dwarfer66 Win User
    Replaced the PSU just now and everything seems to be working well! touch wood.

dwarfer66, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. 4TB Green failed then PC not boot. - Similar Threads - 4TB Green failed

2. pc freezing and failing to boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    pc freezing and failing to boot: hello, i've encountered several issues with my pc lately and i've had the hardest time dealing with them , it started when i upgraded to win11 from win10 few months ago , my pc started freezing during the win11 installation and i had to do it over 8 times until i was lucky...
  3. Boot PC fails

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Boot PC fails: PC fails to boot with blue screen says it needs to repair. No matter how many restart I do it will goes to the same screen. This 1 year old PC is doing fine until yesterday I got a notification that my PC is infected with virus so I run scan on the PC and detected the virus...
  4. Boot PC fails

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Boot PC fails: PC fails to boot with blue screen says it needs to repair. No matter how many restart I do it will goes to the same screen. This 1 year old PC is doing fine until yesterday I got a notification that my PC is infected with virus so I run scan on the PC and detected the virus...
  5. Boot PC fails

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. PC fails to boot up

PC fails to boot up: Hi,I have been having some difficulties turning on my pc. It shows the bios screen and the windows load screen as well, but afther some time the screen turns black and my keyboard and mouse also disconect. When i dont have my gpu pluged in the mother board all works fine. If...
  7. Pc Failing to Boot

Pc Failing to Boot: My Pc froze then crashed yesterday, when I tried to restart it the Preparing Automatic Repair page comes up but nothing happened even tried leaving it for a few hours. I then tried to get it to Boot via the Boot menu {F8} with Win10 Media Creation Tool on a USB, this results...
  8. PC fails to boot

PC fails to boot: When I turn on my PC it cycles no signal until I click [enter] The MSI motherboard logo appears and it says "Preparing Automatic repair" This leads me to the blue screen: Choose an option [Continue] [Turn off your PC] [Use a device] [Troubleshoot] Nothing...
  9. Pc fails to boot.

Pc fails to boot.: Hello, so last night i was playing on my pc when the power went out. This morning when i turned on my pc but it just wouldn't boot. It took about 20-30 attempts of unplugging and holding the power button to finally make it boot. The cd rom always blinks 3 times and makes a...
  10. Boot loop after partitioning 4TB Drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Boot loop after partitioning 4TB Drive: I am really really frustrated and could use any help anyone can give. My computer is a Dell XPS8300 with the last BIOS they put out for this system... I have a Seagate 4TB (ST4000DM000) drive that is setup GPT and had 2 partitions on it (D:, E*Smile and worked fine in...