Windows 10: 4tb hdd only can use 1.5gb

Discus and support 4tb hdd only can use 1.5gb in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My friend is going to be giving me his 4tb external hard drive tomorrow but the problem is that it can only hold about 1.5 gigs (if that) now before... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by darkf0xx, Oct 20, 2015.

1. darkf0xx Win User

4tb hdd only can use 1.5gb

My friend is going to be giving me his 4tb external hard drive tomorrow but the problem is that it can only hold about 1.5 gigs (if that) now before you say that it has incorrect memory listed I will say that I do hear mechanical parts moving around in it but what it sounds like to me is that the read/write head cant go past a certain point on the disk, If I put a file on it then it will go about to 1 gigabyte then it just sits there with the loading bar stuck and I hear a motor running like the motor keeps getting set back or something. My question to you is what is your thoughts on what it is? I dont think its a stuck disk because it doesn't make the weird electronic (almost a beep) noises that I have seen with hard drives that got fused. He got the drive from a pawn shop for like 30 bucks so not a big loss but if anything I would love to just make it an internal drive if I cant keep it external. I get it tomorrow when he comes by at 8am to bring me something he borrowed so I don't have it right now to check out any ideas yet. Any suggestions/ideas would be great.

:)

darkf0xx, Oct 20, 2015

2. install win 10 on gpt partition

I should have mentioned that I have a 4TB HDD and windows will only allow you to use 2TB of it.

bobwhiteor, Oct 20, 2015
  3. Windows 10 installation on 4tb hdd on GPT partition with UEFI mode system.

Original Title: windows 10 installation on 4tb hdd

Hello,

I have a new Seagate 4tb hdd and gigabyte H110M motherboard (UEFI) in a desktop computer. When I install windows 10 x64 it only shows up as 2tb. I have converted the hdd to gpt partitioning (as apparently this is what I need to do to show whole hdd) but
    when I install win 10 it converts it back to mbr and still only shows it as 2tb. What do I need to do so windows installs in gpt format?

Thanks

Troy

TroySullivan, Oct 20, 2015
  4. CountMike New Member

CountMike, Oct 20, 2015
  5. swarfega Win User
    Yes as CountMike says, hard drives over 3Tb must use GPT otherwise they won't see the full space.

swarfega, Oct 20, 2015
  6. darkf0xx Win User
    ok I'll try it when he arrives in an hour.

darkf0xx, Oct 20, 2015
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Oct 20, 2015
  8. darkf0xx Win User

ok so I took it apart after I changed it to gpt and it didnt do anything still so i took it apart and turns out the middle write head was bent.

darkf0xx, Oct 21, 2015
  9. CountMike New Member
    It's bin time now !

CountMike, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. 4tb hdd only can use 1.5gb - Similar Threads - 4tb hdd 5gb

2. 16GB of RAM but only 5GB is usable?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    16GB of RAM but only 5GB is usable?: I have upgraded my ram in my windows 11 HP laptop from 8GB to 16GB. Recently I noticed that things are getting slower. When I checked in task manager, this is what it shows. It detects 16GB of RAM, but in the left hand side in the RAM tab you can see it shows 4.x GB/5.00GB....
  3. clean whole 4tb hdd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    clean whole 4tb hdd: Hello ,I have a device which have 2hdd at 4tb. I want to clean the whole disk app? How much time it will take to clean it using diskpart clean all? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/clean-whole-4tb-hdd/43f61293-7f08-406a-a8f2-0235a9fe4243
  4. clean whole 4tb hdd

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    clean whole 4tb hdd: Hello ,I have a device which have 2hdd at 4tb. I want to clean the whole disk app? How much time it will take to clean it using diskpart clean all? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/clean-whole-4tb-hdd/43f61293-7f08-406a-a8f2-0235a9fe4243
  5. clean whole 4tb hdd

in Windows 10 Gaming
  6. Clean All on a 4TB HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clean All on a 4TB HDD: I have a question. I have a Sinology NAS with 2 hdd at 4TB. It crashed I want to fully clean the hdd. How many hours will will it take using Diskpart clean All. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/clean-all-on-a-4tb-hdd/974c166c-507b-4cce-a273-0adf9ccf29ae
  7. Clean All on a 4TB HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Clean All on a 4TB HDD: I have a question. I have a Sinology NAS with 2 hdd at 4TB. It crashed I want to fully clean the hdd. How many hours will will it take using Diskpart clean All. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/clean-all-on-a-4tb-hdd/974c166c-507b-4cce-a273-0adf9ccf29ae
  8. Clean All on a 4TB HDD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  9. Help with formatting 4tb hdd?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help with formatting 4tb hdd?: I recently built my first PC, and have been having some issues formatting the hard drive properly. Windows 10 is installed on a separate 500gb ssd, so it is empty, except for a partition called "System Reserved" which takes up ~600mb and is preventing me from converting from...
  10. How can you make 1 big HDD using several HDD?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How can you make 1 big HDD using several HDD?: Hi, I have like 10 external HDD from laptops, all sized 2.5", and they are 320GB, 500GB or 1TB. I use them to save photos and videos, but it's starting to get a little bit annoying to store my data in 10 different devices. I'm looking for something, like a dock station, where...