Windows 10: 4TB HDD - Windows 10 sets up perfectly

Discus and support 4TB HDD - Windows 10 sets up perfectly in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi there I installed a new 4 TB internal SATA HDD yesterday ( new data disk) -- Windows 10 prompted me immediately after W10 had booted (from an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jimbo45, Aug 8, 2015.

1. jimbo45 Win User

4TB HDD - Windows 10 sets up perfectly

Hi there

I installed a new 4 TB internal SATA HDD yesterday ( new data disk) -- Windows 10 prompted me immediately after W10 had booted (from an SSD) on boot up -- Uninitialized Disk select GUID / GPT or MBR.

For HDD's > 2TB you need GPT to use full size partition.

So I selected GPT - it then went through ritual create simple volume, format etc.

All worked 100%.

Installing large HDD's on previous systems -- had all sorts of Hassle.

For things like multi-media etc these large HDD's are great -- around 95 USD for 4TB -- can't be bad !!!!!

Also who says people are short of HDD space for backups -- with prices like these it's a no brainer for DATA storage.

(TWO FINGERS also to the Cloud - although YMMV I accept).

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Aug 8, 2015

2. Windows 10 installation on 4tb hdd on GPT partition with UEFI mode system.

Original Title: windows 10 installation on 4tb hdd

Hello,

I have a new Seagate 4tb hdd and gigabyte H110M motherboard (UEFI) in a desktop computer. When I install windows 10 x64 it only shows up as 2tb. I have converted the hdd to gpt partitioning (as apparently this is what I need to do to show whole hdd) but
    when I install win 10 it converts it back to mbr and still only shows it as 2tb. What do I need to do so windows installs in gpt format?

Thanks

Troy

TroySullivan, Aug 8, 2015
  3. OYSteve Win User
    bit locker error: The Bitlocker encryption on this drive isn't compatible with the version of windows. Try opening the drive using newer a version of windows.

4TB may not be a problem for XTS-AES. But I am pretty sure 8TB is a problem. btw, AES 128 works just fine on 8TB, so my HDD is perfectly healthy.

OYSteve, Aug 8, 2015
Thema:

4TB HDD - Windows 10 sets up perfectly

1. 4TB HDD - Windows 10 sets up perfectly - Similar Threads - 4TB HDD sets

2. Unable to detect Seagate 4TB External HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unable to detect Seagate 4TB External HDD: Hi I have been trying to plug and unplug the Seagate 4TB External HDD with my Mac Pro which run Windows and was unable to detect my HDD. what is the cause of the problem and how can I recover it? Anyone can help or advice what should I do? Thanks...
  3. Windows update 1803 formats secondary 4TB HDD from GPT to MBR

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows update 1803 formats secondary 4TB HDD from GPT to MBR: New to the group and boy do I have a good one! The other day when I booted up my desktop PC, I noticed a majority of my desktop icons had lost there images alerting me that something had went direly wrong. I opened My PC to inspect my HDD contents and I was shocked by what I...
  4. setting up User to store on HDD with Windows on SSD

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    setting up User to store on HDD with Windows on SSD: I have installed 10 and Office suite on my SSD (drive C). I have a clean fomatted HDD (A) that I want to store User media files (documents, pictures, videos, music, Outlook PST) files on. I have named my PC "Main". I would like that to be the hidden Administrator account and...
  5. 4tb hdd only can use 1.5gb

4tb hdd only can use 1.5gb: My friend is going to be giving me his 4tb external hard drive tomorrow but the problem is that it can only hold about 1.5 gigs (if that) now before you say that it has incorrect memory listed I will say that I do hear mechanical parts moving around in it but what it sounds...
  6. Brilliant - USB 3 self powered 4TB passport HDD's

Brilliant - USB 3 self powered 4TB passport HDD's: Hi there Really recommend these WD 4TB self powered USB 3 drives Fast, small, very portable and so far seem very reliable - have tested 2 of them running for around 2 months 24/7 -- no issues whatsoever so I'm satisfied that the reliability is fine. Tested running 2...
  7. Advice on setting up a new HDD for data (not OS)

Advice on setting up a new HDD for data (not OS): Hey all, Purchased a WD Black 2 TB HDD today to replace my old drive. This drive is not for my OS but is used for data - photo's music, my documents, downloaded program installers etc and for system backups. I also run 2 SSD's - one 500GB for the OS and programs and one...
  8. Backing up NAS files --4TB passport USB3 HDD's available

Backing up NAS files --4TB passport USB3 HDD's available: Hi there Backing up NAS data can be problematic but remember if you have a lot of data on NAS server then consider that you could get HDD failures on that too. The new 4TB portable passport size USB HDD's are great -- around 150 EUR currently -- I like the small...
  9. Setting up 2nd hdd with windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Setting up 2nd hdd with windows 10: I have dell inspirion 3847. It has its original 1Tb drive and has win 7 pro. I have installed a second HDD that is 2Tb to replace eventually the original as my new Disc 0. I have partitioned part of it already as Disc "F" and allotted 100 Gb for win 10. The rest is not...
  10. Installation problem, 4TB HDD in W10 Home

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installation problem, 4TB HDD in W10 Home: Hi, I've just tried to install a brand new 4TB Seagate HDD in an external caddy connected via a USB3 cable to my W10 Home PC. Nothing occurred when I connected it, but I found it in Disk Management. Accessing it in DM required me to initiate the disk and it offered me two...