Windows 10: 5 min delay on cold start between login screen and bg screen

Discus and support 5 min delay on cold start between login screen and bg screen in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I'm not sure when this issue was introduced into the bowels of my PC because I normally put it in sleep mode when not in use. Prior to the first time I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by xwray, Feb 20, 2018.

1. xwray Win User

5 min delay on cold start between login screen and bg screen

I'm not sure when this issue was introduced into the bowels of my PC because I normally put it in sleep mode when not in use. Prior to the first time I noticed it the PC would breeze through the startup process with no discernible delays.

Now, when I cold start it, just as the login screen closes, instead of going straight to the background screen, a black screen appears and the drive light flashes for about 4-5 minutes after which the background screen appears and all is normal. The PC will do this any time it is restarted.

My question is, is there a way to "easily" identify the service, process, or app that is causing the delay?
    My troubleshooting skills are being diminished for these types of problems due to my neurons now approaching
    80 years of age and any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

:)

xwray, Feb 20, 2018
  2. Morkkis Win User

KB4074588 update causes black screen 5+ minutes

I went through all these official "MS guides" over week before I typed this thread. And I knew there is issue caused by update KB4074588 as I saw hundreds of posts with same black screen issue. Also my security provider told that the issue is hidden in update
    KB4074588.

I solved it, and the true source of all these is
    AppXsvc which needs to be disabled.
    Another forum found solution for me

Morkkis, Feb 20, 2018
  3. KB4074588 update causes black screen 5+ minutes

This worked for me. Thank you very much!

Odd how it only seemed to affect the one user account.

IronMachine, Feb 20, 2018
  4. EdTittel Win User

Try this utility to get a handle on where the time is going while you're waiting to see something on the screen: BootRacer.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Feb 21, 2018
  5. xwray Win User
    thanks Ed....I downloaded and ran the program twice .My startup stuff amounts to 12 seconds whereas something else is taking 326 seconds to get done which I have to assume is something Win10 is doing? Do you know of a similar app that can measure what Win10 is spending it's time on during startup?

xwray, Feb 21, 2018
  6. EdTittel Win User
    Looking around to see what's available. There's a boot log option in msconfig.exe, but I'm not 100% sure what it tells you. Let me see what I can find out ... goes off to look ... Yes, this option may very well help. See this HowToGeek article: Use Verbose Boot Messages to Troubleshoot Windows Startup Problems .
    Here's what to look for on the Boot tab in msconfig:

5 min delay on cold start  between login screen and bg screen [​IMG]

The HowToGeek article explains what to do more precisely, and provides some useful information on how to find the boot log file, and then read and interpret its contents.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

PS: @Kari just ran the utility to see what's in the log file. You need to check the other box also (the one that reads "OS boot information") to get more info. Otherwise, the single box just tells you what drivers are loaded or not (not terribly informative).

EdTittel, Feb 21, 2018
  7. xwray Win User
    I might not need to do that now...decided to take a brute force troubleshooting approach. I use Terabyte Unlimited's Image application (Excellent tool BTW) for my backup needs so I proceeded to sequentially reload the last images until I got to one that didn't exhibit the problem.

I was able to determine that the basic cause of the problem is an MS update that occurred within the last couple of weeks. That was late last night so today I will try to determine the exact update that causes the problem.

Only problem with brute forcing it is I don't like to fix things without knowing exactly what I did to fix it. Besides, in this case I do need to get to the exact cause to achieve a long term fix.

I am concerned however, that Microsoft's rather heavy handed approach to controlling MY PC is going to wind up forcing me to ultimately install the update thus recreating the issue.

Any advice on how to handle something like this?

I appreciate your help...thanks again.

xwray, Feb 21, 2018
  8. xwray Win User

OK...this is what I think I know about my problem at this point.

The boot delay is caused when update KB4074588 is installed. Uninstalling that update does not resolve the problem - once win10 gets into this situation it stays there and the only way to resolve it is to reload the pre-update disk image again. Once the boot process finally completes the PC works normally in all ways...there are no issues that I have noticed with any app.

The boot log reveals several entries stating "BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\NDProxy.sys".

I have run chkdsk and sfc with no problems being reported.

Here is where I'm dead in the water. Is there any way to determine what is calling for NDproxy.sys to be loaded?

Anyone have any suggestions?

What would be the best next move?

My continued thanks...

xwray, Feb 22, 2018
  9. zinou Win User
    Hi,
    I usually use Windows Performance Toolkit to troubleshoot this kind of boot delay issues. WPT shows you what's the OS is doing during the different boot phases. If you want any help on this, here is what you have to do:

- Download and Install windows Performance Toolkit https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...ed/adk-install . Choose the package corresponding to your Windows version.
    - Record a trace using Windows Performance Recorder using these options: JustPaste.it - Share Text & Images the Easy Way
    - Compress the resulting file
    - Share it.

I'll analyze your trace file and give you a feedback.

See you…

zinou, Feb 22, 2018
  10. Barman58 Win User
    Ed, just FYI the boot log is time stamped, (or always was *Wink ), so the procedure in this case would be to look for a process name start, then a long gap until the next item.

You can also use it for intermittent non booting issues, as long as you can access the log file, either offline or on next successful start.- the last entry in the log is a good candidate for the fault cause.

I've seen a few of these delays caused by network resource issues - A missing mapped drive or even USB drive

Barman58, Feb 22, 2018
  11. xwray Win User
    Thanks for your kind offer...I will try to do this asap.

xwray, Feb 22, 2018
  12. lx07 Win User
    I'd use wpt and if (if I were you) someone says the below I'd take them up on it.
    I watched his YouTube tutorial today - it was pretty good. Why not upload a trace and see how it goes?

EDIT @zinou why not put a link to your YouTube tutorial somewhere?

13. zinou Win User

@lx07 where do you suggest to put the video link ?

zinou, Feb 22, 2018
  14. lx07 Win User
    No idea - I'm just a user here.

You could say "see my tutorial at thislink in your posts or in your signature perhaps. You can include video links but it looks pretty bad if you always fill half your post with a still from the start of your YouTube video.

Tenforums could use a tutorial on gathering performance data (especially on boot as people complain about that a lot). Someone would have to look at the data gathered though.

It is a question for the admins really - I don't have an answer. Put it in your sig with "if you are interested in this see this link" or something.

15. xwray Win User
    OK...I generated the report but I couldn't attach it because it was 206 mb. I then compressed the file which dropped its size to 16mb but the limit is 8mb so no joy in uploadig this file.

Since the recorder was still running well into the black screen, could I stop the recorder a few seconds into the black screen...that might at least capture the first thing that drives the system to the black screen? That ought to get us a manageable file size

xwray, Feb 22, 2018
Thema:

1. 5 min delay on cold start between login screen and bg screen - Similar Threads - min delay cold

2. Delay before Windows login screen

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Delay before Windows login screen: This started recently on both desktop and laptop. I imagine it's some software I either installed or updated, but can't seem to figure it out. After BIOS screen and boot, when display would [normally] immediately go to Windows 10 login, it hangs on black screen (monitors...
  3. Black Screen Delay Before Login

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black Screen Delay Before Login: **link to video of my issue at bottom** I built my first pc. I upgraded to an aio from an air cooler and after putting everything back together, I get a long black screen before i get to the login screen. It takes almost a minute before i get to the login screen. It used to...
  4. Windows cold start became extremely slow 4 to 5 minutes to log in screen then slow after login

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows cold start became extremely slow 4 to 5 minutes to log in screen then slow after login: This problem started late October after a windows update. I am not recommending any one do this unless you are an experienced tech. I disclaim any responsibility if you do this, you are on your own., but it worked for me. First, I was not able to uninstall Edge. So, I...
  5. Login Screen is very Delayed

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Login Screen is very Delayed: Whenever I go to log in on Windows 10 I have to wait multiple minutes in order to enter my password to log in. Whenever I manage to actually enter my password a Microsoft .NET Framework window shows up saying that an unhandled exception has occurred in your application. The...
  6. Lock screen to Login Screen delay issue

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Lock screen to Login Screen delay issue: I have an issue where there is a huge delay between the lock screen (the screen where you have a background and time) and the login screen (the screen with an account picture and dialog box to input the password). I tap/press any key/click on the lock screen and it takes so...
  7. Lock screen to Login Screen delay issue

in Windows 10 Support
    Lock screen to Login Screen delay issue: I have a issue where there is a huge delay between lock screen (the screen where you have a background and time) and login screen (the screen with an account picture and dialog box to input the password). I tap/press any key/click on the lock screen and it takes so much time...
  8. Removing login screen delay time

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Removing login screen delay time: Hello guys! I know the Anniversary Update is still very new, but has anyone found a reg edit that takes away the delay time when you press enter on the login screen? Better yet, any way to skip having to press enter and get prompted for credentials immediately? Thanks! 59480
  9. Stuck at splash screen for 5 mins

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Stuck at splash screen for 5 mins: It's so weird before it was rare (stuck at splash screen glitch) i did the upgrade from win 7 to 10 and my system had random skips and black screens. Then my 120 ssd died but not before i could clone it and it did the same on the new ssd. So i tried a clean install and cured...
  10. Start up/shut down sounds missing. and login screen BG change?

in Windows 10 Support
    Start up/shut down sounds missing. and login screen BG change?: Since updating my Dell Optiplex 780 to Windows 10 via the free upgrade, my custom start Windows and exit Windows sounds no longer play, in fact, the option to get them back is completely gone! Is there any way I can recover this setting and have start and exit Windows sounds...