Windows 10: 64- and 32-bit

Discus and support 64- and 32-bit in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a 64-bit capable PC but to date I've only ever installed 32-bit versions of Windows. If I create a new bootable partition can I have a 64-bit... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by RTWFF, Oct 11, 2014.

1. RTWFF Win User

64- and 32-bit

I have a 64-bit capable PC but to date I've only ever installed 32-bit versions of Windows. If I create a new bootable partition can I have a 64-bit W10 installation running there? (My guess is "yes" but I thought I'd check)

:)

RTWFF, Oct 11, 2014
  2. Ubrales1 Win User

Windows 10 64-bit but almost every program is running 32-bit

32-bit programs will run in 32-bit mode whether or not the OS is 32-bit or 64-bit.

Very few programs are 64-bit. And, 64-bit programs will run in 64-bit mode on a 64-bit OS.

Ubrales

Ubrales1, Oct 11, 2014
  3. Ken Blake Win User
    Why do all my programs display as 32bit in task manager when my computer is meant for 64bit?

They display as 32-bit because they are 32-bit programs. Unlike 32-bit Windows which can only run 32-bit programs, 64-bit Windows can run both 64-bit and 32-bit programs.

There's nothing strange or wrong about this. Some programs have both 32-bit and 64-bit versions, but most are only 32-bit.

Ken Blake, Oct 11, 2014
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

64- and 32-bit

Brink, Oct 11, 2014
  5. Ztruker Win User
    Yes, but unless you have more than 4GB of memory, stay with 32 bit.

Ztruker, Oct 11, 2014
  6. Mystere Win User
    Actually, more than 3GB of memory. Most computers with 4GB can't use all 4GB in a 32 bit OS. you will only have 3.2GB or so available due to reserved memory.

Using a 64 bit OS with 4GB allows you to use all 4GB.

Mystere, Oct 14, 2014
  7. RTWFF Win User
    I plan on increasing the memory to 8GB or more

RTWFF, Oct 14, 2014
  8. jimbo45 Win User

64- and 32-bit

Hi there

Providing you have the VT enabled in the BIOS (most machines do these days) you can try running a 64 Bit GUEST as a VM -- VMWARE CAN run 64 bit guests on 32 bit hosts. (Test the VM with 2 GB RAM - it will work - I've had W8 and W10 VM's on 2 GB RAM while testing).

I've had a W7 Enterprise x-64 bit guest running on XP Host when I was testing W7 a few years ago. (Time flies - was it that long ago !!).

A VM is an excellent way of testing a new OS and you also learn about Virtual Machines too. Then if you like the OS you can then decide to install it on your PHYSICAL machine.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Oct 14, 2014
  9. 32 bit will almost always address all the 4gb RAM when hardware is taken into account.

You can check how much RAM is apportioned to hardware by typing Resource Monitor in Start Search box and clicking on the Memory tab.

In any case, you'll get better performance from 32 bit with 4gb RAM and under.

gregrocker, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

64- and 32-bit

1. 64- and 32-bit - Similar Threads - bit

2. Bit locker on SSD Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bit locker on SSD Drive: Hi All, I have a Lenovo laptop, some how when I switched it on it loads up just where the it asked for the pin/password it says it is not avaible and set new pin, I can get in to forced reset but it comes up asking for bit locker code, unfortune my Microsoft account got...
  3. Bit locker on SSD Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bit locker on SSD Drive: Hi All, I have a Lenovo laptop, some how when I switched it on it loads up just where the it asked for the pin/password it says it is not avaible and set new pin, I can get in to forced reset but it comes up asking for bit locker code, unfortune my Microsoft account got...
  4. Repacing 32 bit os with 64 bit without usb

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Repacing 32 bit os with 64 bit without usb: I have a laptop with Windows 10 home edition 32 bit. My mechine supports 64 bit os. Now i have not an usb to install 64 bit windows image. The direct upgarde isn't possible in 32 bit from 64 bit. How to replace my 32 bit os with 64 bit...
  5. Repacing 32 bit os with 64 bit without usb

Repacing 32 bit os with 64 bit without usb: I have a laptop with Windows 10 home edition 32 bit. My mechine supports 64 bit os. Now i have not an usb to install 64 bit windows image. The direct upgarde isn't possible in 32 bit from 64 bit. How to replace my 32 bit os with 64 bit...
  6. Repacing 32 bit os with 64 bit without usb

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. RegSvr32 .dll not compatible with Windows 10 64-bit

in Windows 10 Gaming
    RegSvr32 .dll not compatible with Windows 10 64-bit: I recently installed a new SSD for my computer and had to reinstall Windows 10 for it, but whenever I try to open a game launcher, it gives me an error message stating that there is a bad image 0xc000012f. Sources said that I have to reregister it or reinstall Windows again....
  8. RegSvr32 .dll not compatible with Windows 10 64-bit

RegSvr32 .dll not compatible with Windows 10 64-bit: I recently installed a new SSD for my computer and had to reinstall Windows 10 for it, but whenever I try to open a game launcher, it gives me an error message stating that there is a bad image 0xc000012f. Sources said that I have to reregister it or reinstall Windows again....
  9. RegSvr32 .dll not compatible with Windows 10 64-bit

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  10. Remove every bit of code of One Drive !

Remove every bit of code of One Drive !: As many have posted: REMOVE ALL ASPECTS OF ONE DRIVE! Clearly MS is part of the data mining entities. I personally loathe One Drive. It's defaulted for a reason to go to the cloud. The multiple requesters that have posted in this forum want it removed in it's entirety, NOT...